DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Lost and Found - 10/24/16

Dolfan in NYC

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Which completely lessened the importance of his words and made his man-splaining worse.  

Yes, having been in multiple matches of the type and being damn near a cripple and trying to get this across to two people who are busy "lol, we're making history" about the match when both have a habit of doing stupid shit to shorten their careers is man-splaining.

Fucking hell, let's at least pretend that Sasha and Charlotte have been no-selling this gimmick and the whole Women's Division on the main roster has been more about being all "Look at how awesome we are for making women a focus" and telling us every fucking week instead of just LETTING THEM FUCKING WORK AND REALLY BE A FOCUS!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Tell me about it; my drummer's a funeral director and he had five calls and an embalming on Sunday, we had to cancel practice. People be dropping like flies out here

All of our recent calls have been direct cremations. We had a Hindu funeral this morning, so there was no embalming there, just sanitary care.

Yesterday was a long day. I picked up the Hindu man from the hospital, sanitary care, and a 2-4, 7-9 memorial service for another decedent; which included a Catholic wake service, military honors from the Air Force, and eulogies from two daughters.

4 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

So you did the cremation on the Hindu guy? I guess they can't really burn the body in a traditional way here in the States.

#threadhijack

#rawsucks

The cemetery it was held also has a crematory, so they had a Hindu service in the mausoleum chapel. The wife pressed the button to start the retort and begin the cremation.

I was pretty surprised our drummer went into the profession myself. He'd always been a death metal fan (and, strangely, a huge pop punk dude at the same time) but I didn't think he'd go that far. Turns out I didn't know him well enough: his engagement ring was in the shape of a coffin and he proposed in a pumpkin patch. I wonder what the families of the people he's burying would think if they knew he had this silhouette tattooed on his foot 

macabre.png

It's even funnier that now he's back from Chicago and working at Sunset, he's got the full-on funeral director haircut, like the guy with the hatchet in Phantasm II. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Does anyone know what "putria" and "machka" translate to in English? Google Translate is not helping me out at all. 

Google Translate's no help, but quick search showed it translates to "Rusev hit, Rusev crush!"

Also, @Curt McGirt that drummer sounds pretty badass.  Engagement ring in the shape of a coffin?  Damn, man, that's insane.

36 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

That read so much better than "Not a good guy, not a bad guy, I'm the guy." Rusev's piling it on, as Roman already pales in comparison to Meanie with "Say hello to Da Blue Guy."

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Sometimes, I think I missed my calling.  Funeral/memorial services fascinate me.  I can walk around in old graveyards for hours.  Maybe I should look into pursuing something along those lines.

I almost went for it when I went back to college back in 2010. There's one college in the city that does mortuary science apparently you have to do liberal arts requirements first and then they send you to this school in the city for the second half of the degree. But it was not to be. It is very fascinating though. Like, think about Paul Barer/Percy Pringle. Wrestling essentially was his side gig. He was a licensed funeral home director.

Anyway about RAW, reading about Vince losing his shit about the crowd and Brock. What did he expect? Does he really have no people who will tell him when he does shows in certain towns with certain guys it doesn't matter what reaction you're gonna go for...it's just gonna not happen.

Brock's a damn folk hero in Minnesota. They could have just sent Heyman out to build the story that Brock doesn't want to do it himself.

But like I said, Brock got a nice paycheck to do nothing. I'm sure he's happy.

28 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

The ring is similar to the one on the left here, only a clear diamond (or something similar)

Reveal hidden contents

coffin+engagament+rings+2+IIHIH.jpg

And yeah, he's a badass. Not the best drummer I've ever played with but #2 for sure. Bastard even tricked me into drinking Malort one time...

Those rings are awesome.  I know at least two people who if they weren't married already they'd get that kind of ring.

And holy shit, reading up on Malort I wouldn't wish that on anybody.  That sounds awful yet in a "Have to try it to see how bad it is" kind of way.

5 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Well, the simple to solution to that would have been quite easy:

DON'T TRY TO MAKE HOMETOWN GUY LESNAR THE HEEL IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!!

Sorry, had to get that out.

Especially considering Brock is a part-time attraction brought in for the specific purpose of gaining attention and who fluctuates from heel to face based on whom he's working.  Regardless of what kind of promos Heyman cuts beforehand people are still going to watch Brock and cheer him because they like watching him suplex people 16 times in a row.  I actually didn't think Goldberg's return promo was anything special and think they're overestimating how much people care about him.  That plus his ring rust and the way they're trying to make him a face spells total shitshow.  At least they're getting this out of the way now and not waiting until WM where it could be stretched into something even longer and more tediuos.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

...and it all ties into wrestling because I would have never chosen this line of work if 10 year old me hadn't be so fascinated with The Undertaker and Paul Bearer, and wanting to know what an undertaker was and actually did

To sort of further tie it together, how often does ugly family drama manifest itself at services in the form of fights and yelling matches?  You see that in tv and movies and I've always wondered if it actually happens.  I've worked at a ton of weddings and never really saw much awkward drama but did see plenty of people getting bombed or doing blow in the bathroom in order to deal with stuff.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Those rings are awesome.  I know at least two people who if they weren't married already they'd get that kind of ring.

And holy shit, reading up on Malort I wouldn't wish that on anybody.  That sounds awful yet in a "Have to try it to see how bad it is" kind of way.

If I'm ever in Chicago, I'm going to try Malort, so I can at least say I did it once.

39 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

To sort of further tie it together, how often does ugly family drama manifest itself at services in the form of fights and yelling matches?  You see that in tv and movies and I've always wondered if it actually happens.  I've worked at a ton of weddings and never really saw much awkward drama but did see plenty of people getting bombed or doing blow in the bathroom in order to deal with stuff.

Not very often. Since June, I've had two where I distinctly remember family drama and family members clearly high, turning the funeral into a sideshow. All I can do is bite my tongue, understand they're grieving, and maintain my professionalism.

• Like 1

Malort is fucking awesome.  It tastes like something out of a car engine mixed with pine sap, but it's awful in an awesome way.  Granted it's one of those beverages that I probably wouldn't enjoy normally but it's been responsible for a lot of good times I've had and that tends to compensate for the flavor.

• Like 1

Okay, I know I am drawing form youth here because I thought the 6 or 7(I forget how many people was in there)Hell in the Cell Armageddon match was good until I re-watched after someone here told me that it was the worst. Way to ruin childhoods. But how Mick Foley is booking Hell in the Cell matches makes sense. Here me out. Part of the reason Foley is Foley, Cactus Jack, and Mankind is that he has no regard for personal safety or health. As a GM, Foley's record is marked with this because week after week leading up to the eponymous multi-man hell in the cell match, Vince played the voice of reason stating how irresponsible it is to put a bunch main event talents and Rikishi in a match that is known to shorten careers. As a kid, I thought Vince was being a party pooper and I just wanted someone to beat the shit out of Kurt Angle. But the aftermath on Raw was insane. They kept replaying clips of Rikishi being thrown off the cage(My dad refused to buy PPV's the night of and waited until it was proven to be good). Everyone was bloody or broken. Dudes looked like their physician went to the Looney Toons medical school. Shit was bad. And that made me buy into Vince's argument that yeah, maybe that was irresponsible.

Now we have Foley as GM, again, in 2016 being reckless with what is WWE's death match. And he is again, using 6 up and coming talents to feed to the cage for little to no reason just like before. And he is using straw feminism to justify it. Of course, you can that there is not a lot of tension to justify a Hell in a Cell match, but there was no justification in the last match either. I mean back then it was because there was no suitable number #1 contender and some wrestlers weren't even in the running(Rikishi had beef with the Rock, I think Triple H was mad at Kurt for kissing his wife, Stone Cold was just chasing the title while being annoyed that Rikishi ran him over, and Undertaker was added to match because dude what was Hell in the Cell without the Undertaker). A reasonable Gm would have held a tournament to find a number one contender. Foley is not reasonable. He just wants carnage.

Of course, there has not been ridiculous Hell in the Cell matches that had that kind of pay off like the Armageddon one. Personally I rather not see Sasha look like she spent a month in CZW 2002 booking, but the only way this PPV is going to pay off storywise and for entertainment(because let's face it, Hell in the Cell should be WWE's human derby stunt show) is to just fuck everyone up that is involved. Bad decisions have to made. People need to get hurt and I rather not watch anyways.

Hell in the Cell could be WWE's worst PPV since December to Dismember.