DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Lost and Found - 10/24/16

Dolfan in NYC

I think the Heyman promo was built around the crowd chanting Gold-berg, and once it was obvious they weren't going to get a sustained one, they just killed it. He tried a couple of times by saying it makes the Brock angry but they just kept on going with the mix of chants. You appreciate just how good a performer someone like Heyman is when you see something like that which is clearly not working, and instead of looking like a deer in the headlights, is at least able to keep the segment moving while everyone figures out what to do and the back obviously just cut it because it probably wasn't going to be saved.

Wood's promo earlier in the show also was built in part around the crowd interaction with the Shame bit, he just had to stop saying 'Shame' to allow the crowd to pick it up

1 hour ago, Overly Critical Man said:

The women selling the HiaC with fucking smiles at being able to wrestle inside a cage as some Title IX self-congratulatory bullshit instead of it being the single most destructive and dangerous match in the WWE guaranteed to destroy their bodies and shorten their careers infuriates me.

The problem is no one really believes that about the match anymore. If contained, we get the same high-spot/finisher escalation every "big match" offers--all of which is of course more dangerous than the brawling/cage-spots mix that fueled this sort of gimmick in the past. The only thing anyone can do to raise the stakes further is fall off the cell, and we just saw Shane do that, with basically zero consequences.

Rollins has been in one, after all, and he was in sub-Ziggler stand-up comedy mode to open the show.

There was the seed of something good, with Charlotte referencing Sasha's relative frailty, in an "imagine how bad I can injure you in this match, with no rules, and no escape" sort of way. But the build hasn't really been about that, so much as the novelty of the match itself. And treating it as a novelty only serves to further undermine the gimmick, which is how we get Mick shouting in full "protest too much" mode. I feel like I post some derivation of this every week, but: The most revolutionary thing they could do is stop talking about the revolution. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

The worst segment by far that I saw (I missed most of the first hour) was Bayley and Dana. They got the crowd to boo a Bayley segment. Do you know how bad it must be for anyone to boo Bayley? Bayley is pure joy and happiness. Even I, someone who is practically always miserable will smile because of her. And they made those people boo her. Well, mostly Dana and the stupid arm wrestling but still.

I knew this would happen when they called her up. They have no idea how to use her. It can't simply be she's just a really good wrestler or even God help us the female John Cena when it comes to the kids. They're managing to screw that up all ready.

2 hours ago, Matt788 said:

Go away forever Kevin Nash.

This to both.

1 hour ago, Overly Critical Man said:

The women selling the HiaC with fucking smiles at being able to wrestle inside a cage as some Title IX self-congratulatory bullshit instead of it being the single most destructive and dangerous match in the WWE guaranteed to destroy their bodies and shorten their careers infuriates me.

Wouldn't be that surprised if there's a celebration at the end like in Sasha Banks vs. Bayley's two NXT TakeOver matches last year.

There's been times when you want to give HHH or somebody a fruit basket for something awesome that's happening.  This is a time where I'd love to give whoever booked last night a giant bag of dicks.  Yes, they're really a thing.   How can they do three hours of pointless bullshit and still go 15+ minutes over?  The Bayley-Dana segment is the most egregious one by far.  It actually pissed me off seeing this play out, it was stupid and they knew it.  They could have done a simple match with a BS ending that leads to a match on Sunday.  Instead they though a fucking arm wrestling contest is what was needed to progress the story.  Fuck off with that noise.

The crowd largely sucked, but it's hard for them to get excited when there was nonsense like last night.  I'd say just push the Cell show to the following Sunday and let them try this go-home show again.  I'm better off just pretending this episode never happened.  I really wish the World Series started last night so I could have watched that instead.  And if that was last night I would have had a hearty belly laugh seeing how much Raw would have been slaughtered in the ratings.

46 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Mick cut pretty much the exact same promo on Dean and Seth before HiaC 2014. 

Which completely lessened the importance of his words and made his man-splaining worse.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Oh also - apparently the WWE was confiscating pro Curtis Axel signs last night

????

Wasn't Axel supposed to be turning face?

Also, lol, Goldberg/Lesnar is gonna be just as big of a train wreck as it was the first time.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Oh also - apparently the WWE was confiscating pro Curtis Axel signs last night

Never change WWE. Never change

It's petty shit like this that makes me love it even more when WWE's plans, like Roman's push and Batista's return are completely shit upon.

If I were Joe Hennig, I'd take a page out of Cody's book, and ask for my release. Being the son of Curt Hennig pretty much guarantees he could probably work where he wants and charge a nice price, having worked in WWE. That's just me, though. Money isn't always the answer.

Why is he still Curtis Axel? That name has always and will forever stink. I never understood the double-standard of some guys being allowed to use their family names and some not. Despite the fact they're pushed as being second generation/son of a legend.

5 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

Why is he still Curtis Axel? That name has always and will forever stink. I never understood the double-standard of some guys being allowed to use their family names and some not. Despite the fact they're pushed as being second generation/son of a legend.

The more you try to figure out WWE logic, the more your head will hurt.

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Honestly - for a half a second - I actually thought he was going to announce last night that he was going back to being Hennig.

God I am an idiot.

I literally thought the same thing. Which is half the reason I was into it, besides it being pretty good. 

I was like, "Fucking finally." Then realized, "Wait, this is WWE, and he's in his hometown."

14 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Honestly - for a half a second - I actually thought he was going to announce last night that he was going back to being Hennig.

God I am an idiot.

I might've thought this if not for his t-shirt. On that note, if SKOL AXEL SKOL doesn't put the nail in the coffin of the [imperative verb] [wrestler's name] [imperative verb] meme, nothing will.

I've completely checked out on Raw. A little over a year ago Sasha was my favorite act in the company, 6 months ago Bayley was, 6 weeks ago Kendrick was. Then they go to Raw and I don't give a shit. I'm starting to think they actually could make Nakamura just another guy.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

Mick cut pretty much the exact same promo on Dean and Seth before HiaC 2014. 

It also helped that Dean/Seth came across better during their segment with Mick.  Sasha and Charlotte were sweetheart-ing each other to death, and all three went into banshee mode with the screaming. 

The Brock-Heyman segment was nothing short of weird.  I don't know how anyone could possibly think they could get Minneapolis to boo Lesnar. If Vince is that upset over it, someone is probably going to lose their job this week.

There were some awful segments last night, but a lot of Raw's problems still comes down to pacing and order.  Why didn't Foley cut last night's promo two weeks ago?  Why do they keep insisting that Sasha/Charlotte deserve to be in the Cell?  Yeah, they do--but don't tell us that.  Show us.  The Universal champion spent more time arguing over Jericho's security blanket list than putting over than remotely necessary, though KO's backstage promo and beatdown of Rollins at the end saved it. 

Rusev and Reigns only got four minutes, but they came off well because they just did their pre-taped promos and bounced.  They didn't have to deal with all the weirdness.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I got home in time to catch the main event. Sometimes death has really long work days.

Tell me about it; my drummer's a funeral director and he had five calls and an embalming on Sunday, we had to cancel practice. People be dropping like flies out here

• Like 1