DVDVR Message Board

2016-17 NBA - 1st Half

Dolfan in NYC

Just think, in an alternate universe, OKC is going up against Golden State in the playoffs and they are countering the (original) lineup of death with a Jackson/Westbrook/Harden/Durant/Ibaka small ball group.

10 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

They aren't nearly as much grit n grind anymore though. 

Hell, they only shot one less three than the Dubs tonight.

Less the style of play in terms of where shots are coming from and more the generally surly attitude of those dudes. They also don't have Conley right now who was having an All-NBA type season. Or Chandler hasn't healed up yet, either.

I was super impressed with last year's Grizz. They were just rotating anyone onto the roster because of all the injuries and still made the playoffs.

But even with a new coach they're still such a lovable collection of misfit toys who are smart and tough.

I'm here to tell you, because I've watched every goddamn game this season, that was the most appropriate Mavs loss of the season. Fight their ass off to get there, and do some dumb shit to blow it.  AWFUL shot by D-Will, and no one got back on D after the rebound. 

The Pistons are falling apart now that Reggie Jackson is back. We got ripped by Chicago last night and there was some pretty awful behavior being displayed out on the court. SVG has guaranteed that changes to the starting lineup will be made, starting with this Wednesday's game. John Leuer, who has been an exceptional pickup for us, is more than likely taking over at PF, and I'm guessing it's Marcus Morris that gets benched and not Tobias Harris. Were I SVG, I'd also bench Jackson and start Ish Smith.

Brian Fowler, what do you make of all this?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, southofheavy said:

The Pistons are falling apart now that Reggie Jackson is back. We got ripped by Chicago last night and there was some pretty awful behavior being displayed out on the court. SVG has guaranteed that changes to the starting lineup will be made, starting with this Wednesday's game. John Leuer, who has been an exceptional pickup for us, is more than likely taking over at PF, and I'm guessing it's Marcus Morris that gets benched and not Tobias Harris. Were I SVG, I'd also bench Jackson and start Ish Smith.

Brian Fowler, what do you make of all this?

It's a fucking mess. Reggie is a much better player than Ish, but his worst, ballhog tendencies have been on full display. Smith delivers the ball to everyone, keeps the offense flowing, etc. 

Last year the Detroit starting five was statistically the best in the NBA, and the bench was the worst. Smith and Leurer should have the bench nice and shored up, but now the starting five is collapsing. Johnson has worked himself out of the rotation, and they look like the going promising core might need shaken up.  But I don't have a clue what kind of trade actually helps (unless that rumored Paul George deal is real, and Indiana would do it without KCP.)

Ya can't deny Reggie's talent. And last year, that starting five was awesome. If they can get back to that, cool, but honestly, it needs to improve. Most of this hinges on Reggie and Andre. Reggie needs to go through the transformation that Chauncey Billups did. Andre could become a dominant superstar, but mentally, he's not there. Stan Van Gundy has got to get them to see it, and if they can't, ship 'em off. Which, especially in Andre's case, isn't going to be easy. 

I think eventually they'll accept that Andre is a 15-15 guy, hopefully his defense improves, etc, and that he's not pre-back injury Dwight, or a true foundational superstar. 

KCP was showing signs of a break out season before Reggie got back, and he keeps hinting at becoming a truly elite perimeter defender. But I don't think this team has a "build around the star" guy. Which is really tough to win without one, but Pistons fans know it can be done. If they get back that harmony of last year, and the improved bench can fight it off, I still think this can be a 45+ win team. But right now, it's a fucking mess.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Malcolm Brogdon having a big boy game, posterizing both LeBron (with a baseline reverse!) and Kyrie.

Brogdon said today he had zero idea it was Lebron defending him on that play.  "Honestly, if I looked and saw it was LeBron, I might not even have gone up."

This kid is alright.