DVDVR Message Board

THE 2016 WORLD SERIES

Dolfan in NYC

Well, now that my team of choice is out of the running, I reckon I should find something positive out of all this.

So, what's this about Game 1 allowing people to score free tacos?

So, help me out here - MLB used to have a rule that said you had to be on the roster on 8/31 to be eligible for the postseason . Schwarber, I'm assuming , was not. So did they change the rule or ??? 

1 hour ago, Tabe said:

So, help me out here - MLB used to have a rule that said you had to be on the roster on 8/31 to be eligible for the postseason . Schwarber, I'm assuming , was not. So did they change the rule or ??? 

As I understand the rule you have to have been on the 25 man roster at some point in the season, prior to September call ups, to be eligible.  You don't actually have to be on the 25 man at that point (not sure if you have to be on the 40-man); it's just your last chance to be on the 25 man roster to be eligible for that team's postseason if you have not been there before (i.e. you're a new call up/acquisition).  So the 2 games Schwarber played at the start of the year before getting hurt would qualify him this year.

Now there are certainly other provisions to the rule that I straight up do not know, and I don't know if Schwarber was on the 40-man or not, or how being on the DL affects it, etc.

EDIT:  Ah, Kuestar's got a link.  It's pretty straightforward.

Schwarber was presumably on the 40 man all along