DVDVR Message Board

Nintendo Switch

Kevin Wilson

Switch online service will cost $20 for a year (or $4 for a month or $8 for three months)

You will also get access to "Classic Games"

You will need the Switch App on your phone for voice chat apparently

The price is great, and I like they changed it from "one game a month" to "unlimited access to all 'classic games'" (which appear to be NES games). The voice chat though is definitely awful, luckily I don't play games online like that but I can see that being dumb and to me is the first real misstep that Nintendo has done with the Switch. Besides the availability issues but they appear to be pumping them out as fast as they can.

If people haven't seen it, this is how you use voicechat:

destojwyoxcnbfmvcnuj.png

So yea that sucks. But I like everything else.

What in the fuck is that mess? Once again Nintendo does something that is just utterly stupid. It's like they can't help themselves by taking one to two steps forward and then one to two steps back. TeamSpeak, Mumble, and others all have mobile apps to allow you to chat over your mobile device instead of your computer. That Nintendo requires you to physically connect your phone and Switch into a device that you plug your headset into is just dumb. If they're going to have a mobile app to make this work, then fucking make the mobile app work like literally every other game chat over mobile.

My Switch is a multiplayer-free device. I know no one with a Switch. My friend code has gone unused.

But fewer than two dollars a month to stream NES and (hopefully) SNES games plus extra discounts in the eShop is definitely worth it.

Add cloud saves and it would be a heck of a deal.

On 3/4/2017 at 6:47 AM, RIPPA said:

I think a lot of it will depend on how Breath of the Wild reviews on the Wii U. (If it is fine - he will just want it for that)

That would pretty much be the only reason my son would want a Switch now (since he happily rotates through all the other Nintendo systems)

Now if they announce some sort of Switch Pokemon game before Christmas - all bets are off

Two quick followups on this

1) I took my son to Gamestop this weekend so he could spend some of his money. I was positive he was going to get BOTW for the Wii U but instead he said he wanted to wait. I was pretty much able to get him to admit that he wanted to play it on the Switch

2) Nintendo announced a Pokemon Direct for tomorrow (June 6) so it is either going to be the Pokemon Go 1st Anniversary Event or it is going to be Pokemon for the Switch

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

The obligatory Metroid Prime 4 teaser.

I stopped caring about Metroid games a long time ago, but I am still interested in seeing a live action Metroid movie, so hopefully this game will get that discussion going again.

I took a leap of faith and picked up Mario + Rabbids and it's great so far. Sort of miraculous how all the disparate elements come together so well. Maybe I wouldn't recommend it to someone who's really good at XCOM but outside of that it's a worthy purchase. 

The charcoal gray is the nice-looking one anyway. Personally, I don't think any of the brightly-colored joycons that I've seen look good when attached to the console in handheld mode (or when attached to the grip, for that matter). 

I didnt want the red/blue one. I had remarked to the clerk about them only having the grey and thats when told me about the shipping ratio. 

Havent hooked it up to tv yet. Will do that over weekend. Also wondering about getting a "regular" controller. 

I think the grip works just fine myself. It looks small and cramped, but I have bigger hands, and I find it comfortable. I'd suggest that you wait for sales this holiday season rather than dropping the seventy bucks on a Pro controller for now unless you plan to play a lot of fighting games. The split D-pad on the joycons makes fighting games pretty rough to play, so that's probably the best reason to get a Pro controller immediately. 

There are also the 8bitdo SNES controllers, which I hear are high-quality and might be a good option. I need to look into those myself. They're only about thirty bucks, IIRC.

8 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I think the grip works just fine myself. It looks small and cramped, but I have bigger hands, and I find it comfortable. I'd suggest that you wait for sales this holiday season rather than dropping the seventy bucks on a Pro controller for now unless you plan to play a lot of fighting games. The split D-pad on the joycons makes fighting games pretty rough to play, so that's probably the best reason to get a Pro controller immediately. 

There are also the 8bitdo SNES controllers, which I hear are high-quality and might be a good option. I need to look into those myself. They're only about thirty bucks, IIRC.

I never knew about the 8bitdo controllers but after checking them out this seems like something I'm going to get for sure.  I'm hoping it's not a big pain to pair it with Switch, but it sure beats paying for the Pro.

I got to hold the Joycon and the controller they go into last week. That was the first time I held them. Man are they tiny. I'm also someone who was almost comfortable holding the Xbox Duke controller. If there were ever a Switch XL, I'd be all over that in an instant.

My friend did say though that he doesn't use his Joycons all that often, but his two sons use them a lot.

Weirdly enough, the Joycons connected to the Switch in its portable mode did feel comfortable. *shrugs*

• 3 weeks later...

Best Buy had them in their Sunday ad, so I went figuring "if they have them I buy, if not whatever." I had been waiting months for BB in specific so I could amortize it over a year. Grabbed a console, Mario Kart and Zelda, plus a case. So far its mostly just charging, hope to break it out in earnest tonight or tomorrow.  Gonna get as far as i can into Zelda before Gundam Versus eats all my gaming time in less than two weeks.

Because I am an asshole, I tasted a card. Maybe American IPAs have fucked up my perspective on bitter tastes, but I felt like the silly "Switch game cards taste terrible stories were overblown. It's clear they wanted small children to spit it out but the swarm of reaction videos and articles seems hilarious now that I know what they're freaking over.

I see that Namco Museum has  Splatterhouse and is rated T.  That's kind of fascinating in terms of what was considered beyond the pale when I was a kid versus today.

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 11:25 AM, RIPPA said:

Switch online service will cost $20 for a year (or $4 for a month or $8 for three months)

You will also get access to "Classic Games"

One of which is heavily rumored to be Skies of Arcadia:  Legends.

Speaking of Capcom, the company has repeated its announcement from 2008 that the Breath of Fire franchise still dead. 

BoF6 bombed hard on mobile a while ago and Capcom has no interest in investing writer or developer talent to create a brand new BoF installment for Switch. 

I've never been so aware of how which game I play affects a portable's battery life.  In the PSP days I knew I could get more play time out of something on a stick vs something on a disc, but the gulf between "How long can I play Blaster Master" vs "How long can I play Zelda?" is HUGE.  This week I caught myself doing the math on what I should play on lunch at work since I didn't have a charger on me and had a longer-than-usual bus ride after.