DVDVR Message Board

Nintendo Switch

Kevin Wilson

This looks promising, looks like Nintendo was actually serious this time about having third party support.

I guess at some point we'd move some of this stuff over to the "upcoming games" thread, I'll let someone with more power than me figure out how that's being sorted.

• Like 1

I think Zelda looks like if could end up being the game of the year. It looks that good.  Mario Kart deluxe version looks cool, Splatoon 2 looks cool and Super Mario Odyssey looks fantastic. But with that coming out around Christmas, I'm thinking maybe I'll wait until the holidays.  I really want to play Zelda but I'm not sure I'll go $300 to play one game.

I want to pre-order the Switch for my daughter to prove I am not a completely worthless father, but she's a tablet gamer and stays on Google Store.

If I get her a Switch and it turns into a paper weight, I am going to be annoyed...

No I won't it will just become MY Switch and I'll set it up in my man cave and play a lot of Zelda.

Project Octopath Traveler will turn me into a fifteen year old again.  I have enough maturity issues as it is.

Woof.  Mario looked good until they showed those goofy ass eyes on the hat.  Big cartoon Mario walking amongst bizarre Thomas the tank engine humans looked odd and sonic hedgehoggy.  Still want to play it.  Still a million years away.  Want to play the damn new Zelda already.  Wii u version better not be delayed or weird. 

Icecubes in the controller shit was dumb as a motherfucker.  I thought they were making a new Wild Gunman, not some fucking board game with a buzzer.

Damn near every segment of that conference ended with me goin' "What in the fuck was that?"

Didn't make a great case for the system. Showed only 2 games I want.  Bunch of nebulous reassurances of games in development.  Still fucking preordered on amazoinks like an idiot.

Knowing that in two months I'll be sitting at work playing a new Zelda with a weird looking sword statue sitting next to me makes me a happy panda. I'll be good with that for a few months, at least until some of the cooler stuff starts coming out that they previewed.

I went from being curious about the Switch to being completely underwhelmed about it and uninterested. Zelda: Breath of the Wild is a great concept but runs like shit based on every trailer I've seen. Paid online with no incentives and the system storage turned me off. 1,2,Switch annoys me. Nintendo's even smaller launch lineup will just be bad, although Xenoblade 2, Super Mario Odyssey and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe have me hoping. 

if I get a Switch, it will collect dust, so no thanks.

I thought Nintendo had it right this time, but, man, this looks like another dust collector. An uncomfortable one at that if you're using the tiny sticks. Granted, I'm someone who thought Xbox's Duke controller was "just fine."

I'll still be curious to see what the Switch is like once it comes out. The Quick Look videos on Giant Bomb will tell me more than I'll need to know.

1, 2 Switch looks an awful lot like Johann Sebastian Joust. That's a good thing. I pre-ordered Zelda for Wii U but I'll probably sit this round out for Nintendo in terms of the Switch after they abandoned the Wii U so early after its release. Played the shit out of Mario, played Mario Kart with friends and that was about it until March when Zelda comes. 

13 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Nintendo is also going to start charging for online the same way Sony and Microsoft do, which isn't shocking as they were leaving money on the table by not charging for it. But it also looks like they are doing the 'one free game per month' thing which is exciting for me since I hardly played any Wii or Wii U games so it likely will be games I haven't played. Hopefully uh good games.

If Polygon is to be believed the "free game a month" is just that. If you want to keep playing after that month you'll have to pay.

lol wut

So it's a one month trial period? And I'm guessing Nintendo picks the game because Nintendo saying you get a free game a month, but it's really just a one month trial of a game of their choosing seems like the most Nintendo thing they could do.

like i've said elsewhere, the rule is 5 games before I buy a system. I am conditionally at 3: Mario, Splatoon, and depending on how it works out, I might get into that Ultra Street Fighter 2 thing once it's out and a known quantity. also I sort of figured there'd be weird motion stuff in the control, because Nintendo learns lessons weirdly.

I'll openly admit that one of the reasons I am pro-Switch is I kept meaning to get a DS but have never owned one. Since I can play a handheld console at work, the Switch is basically a Super DS as far as I am concerned. I don't care at all about being able to count ice cubes in a cup, that is I guess for families or casual gamers (or non-video game playing spouses) but has no interest to me.

I wish that Mario was coming out in the summer, but Mario Kart being an earlier release will help since I haven't played Mario Kart 8 so its a new game to me. I'd feel better though if the "pro" controller was up somewhere for pre-order as well as I think I'd rather play with it than the joycons.

3 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I'll openly admit that one of the reasons I am pro-Switch is I kept meaning to get a DS but have never owned one. Since I can play a handheld console at work, the Switch is basically a Super DS as far as I am concerned.

I mean... take the $350+ you'd spend on the Switch plus a single game and go buy a DS with a ton of games.  The absolute best case scenario for the Switch likely won't result in it being better than the DS actually is.  The combined DS/GBA line-up you can play on the thing is staggering.

34 minutes ago, username said:

I mean... take the $350+ you'd spend on the Switch plus a single game and go buy a DS with a ton of games.  The absolute best case scenario for the Switch likely won't result in it being better than the DS actually is.  The combined DS/GBA line-up you can play on the thing is staggering.

Well to me, it is better (I meant 3DS, not DS, if that changes your stance related to the cost since I wouldn't get something with that small a screen). Bigger screen, much better graphics. I am assuming I can kickstand it and use a pro controller also. But I'll use it on the big screen too, the split would probably be 70% Handheld/30% Big TV. Money isn't a super huge object, I mean if it was $500 I wouldn't get it but a new 3DS XL is $220+, I don't mind spending an extra $100 for the aforementioned perks. If this hadn't come out I'd probably have gotten a 3DS by the summer but no need now since this doubles as both.

I completely understand people waiting for more stuff to come out before getting it, and I wouldn't be surprised if they launched it in March with the full intention of being 'fully' ramped up by the holiday season with a lot more games available (Mario in particular). Its just perfect timing for me since now that I work an odd shift at work I have about 20 hours a week of time I could use it as a handheld. Although if they don't stop snapping in their commercials I reserve the right to change my opinion altogether.

I think the true handhelds will still have a market and aren't going anywhere, if I was going to play it on a bus/a boring event/etc I wouldn't lug around a $300 console, it just works in my case since I'll be sitting in my office.

http://www.polygon.com/nintendo-switch/2017/1/14/14273312/nintendo-switch-hard-drive-size-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild

The Nintendo Switch’s hardware specificationsarched some eyebrows when it was revealed that, once again, Nintendo was launching a console with a shrimpy 32 GB of flash memory on board. Now we know what it really means to a user. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild requires 13.4 GB of storage space if it is downloaded to the Nintendo Switch. That is a little under half of the internal capacity of Nintendo’s new console.

That's if the user is opting for the digital version of the game, of course. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild will be available on a game card, too. And the Switch's storage is expandable by microSDHC and microSDXC cards, which are sold in volumes up to 128 GB. But it's unclear if the Switch dock's USB port can be used to attach an external hard drive for storage.