DVDVR Message Board

Nintendo Switch

Kevin Wilson

Since its a new Nintendo console that will likely have lots of updates over the next few months, figured it may deserve its own thread. Here is the preview trailer:

All that looks fine, I mean the situations they paint are a bit out there, I don't see people propping up the little screen and four people sitting around playing it. Also, game makers will have to address having text that can be read on the small screen but doesn't look crazy on the big screen when it is docked. But I'll probably get one, it has some good ideas.

If this thing will let you take actual console-quality games on the go like the Vita promised (and only somewhat kinda did for a short while), I'm in. 

Well, as long as it's fewer than two-hundred-and-fifty American dollars, that is. Nintendo hardware just isn't worth that much. 

Well they are all giving bland 'we have no announcement' messages but I doubt Nintendo would have used their footage without consent and what not. 2K I think said the same thing. They may just not have a timetable yet and want to confirm it on their own terms.

Re: Top Third Party games on Nintendo systems:

I really don't care if they get support. If I'm going to get a game like that, I'll get it for $5 a few years later on Steam since I have such a back log and so little time. Pretty much in it for Mario/Zelda/Smash Bros/Stuff that will never make it to PC and that I can play with the kids.

I think it is an absolutely brilliant concept, but the question is "Is it too much innovation too soon?"  Nintendo is obviously willing to give up the bells and whistles of home console gaming (storage, graphics, etc.) for the trade-off of unfettered gaming and that is a pretty bold move for a typically calculating Japanese company.

The problem with this concept is that Nintendo has taken on the rather unenviable task of competing with consoles and portable devices at the same time. 

Who are your primary rivals in this market? Are you looking to cut into the traditional console market share and compete with Sony and Microsoft? 

Or are you trying to make further in roads into the market that you used to dominate with the Game Boy and gradually gave up to phones and tablets, which would put your company at odds with folks like Google or Apple and their app developers?

Also from the look of the games in the video running on the Switch, Nintendo seems to be giving up the Mature gamer market to Sony and Microsoft which may or may not be suicidal.

29 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Piggybacking off of what JT said, I can't wait to see what Sony and Microsoft do with this.

The easy answer is "absolutely nothing."

If Microsoft foolishly develops a portable device strictly for gaming purposes, the hardware will compete with its own phones and tablets as well the portable devices of Apple, Samsung (kick 'em when they're down?), HTC and every other major smart phone manufacturer and the games aka the software will compete with Google's OS and the apps that run on it.

Sony's PS Vita was a bit of a bust because the high cost made phones and tablets far more attractive.  They wisely shifted focus to VR and the Vita hardware found its way into the new Playstation TV.

The best thing for Microsoft and Sony to with their console business do is to keep doing what they are doing.  They have a lot more to lose than Nintendo does.

The Switch is a good move for Nintendo because they can now say they have a "current gen" console and they can also settle in and reclaim a share of the portable market that they are already synonymous with, without having to develop new games for a separate hardware line.. 

Nintendo's challenge now is to make the Switch an accepted member of the current portable game culture.  First part of the battle has been won since they were smart enough to design the core device to resemble a tablet. 

Second part of the battle is also won since the device is sure to be well received in Asia and probably Europe, too.  The success of Nintendo is much a part of Japanese national pride as Samsung's prosperity is to South Korea. 

The Japanese won't let Nintendo go down the tubes unless Nintendo makes a huge blunder concerning the hardrware launch or if it cannot bring a decent game catalogue to the platform.

Here's what I'm confused about.  Isn't this basically the same as the Wii U?  Wasn't the purpose of the Wii U game pad to allow you to take your gameplay portable?  I recall the Pad was supposed to act as an independent separate screen and you could take your console game on the go with you and play it on the Wii U Game Pad.

Anyway, I hope it does better than the Wii U for Nintendo's sake.  

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

I think it is an absolutely brilliant concept, but the question is "Is it too much innovation too soon?"  Nintendo is obviously willing to give up the bells and whistles of home console gaming (storage, graphics, etc.) for the trade-off of unfettered gaming and that is a pretty bold move for a typically calculating Japanese company.

The problem with this concept is that Nintendo has taken on the rather unenviable task of competing with consoles and portable devices at the same time. 

Who are your primary rivals in this market? Are you looking to cut into the traditional console market share and compete with Sony and Microsoft? 

Or are you trying to make further in roads into the market that you used to dominate with the Game Boy and gradually gave up to phones and tablets, which would put your company at odds with folks like Google or Apple and their app developers?

Also from the look of the games in the video running on the Switch, Nintendo seems to be giving up the Mature gamer market to Sony and Microsoft which may or may not be suicidal.

Not sure if this means anything for anyone, but Nvidia built the graphics tech for the Switch.  Here's some info:

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/10/20/nintendo-switch/

* Uses custom Tegra Processor

* Uses Nvidia GPU based on architecture of GeForce gaming graphics cards

* Supported by fully custom software, revamped physics engine, new libraries, advanced game tools & libraries

* Uses new gaming APIs, including NVN, built to give the console lightweight, fast gaming

* Hardware-accelerated video playback and custom software for audio effects and rendering.

* Custom operating system integration with the GPU

I just assume I will never use the little game pads and only use the 'real' controller, but I am not really a mobile gamer. Mine will likely stay docked 90% of the time, unless I have company staying over and I just have to play a level but don't have access to the TV. I doubt I am the target audience for that reason, I just want to play the exclusives.

8 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Here's what I'm confused about.  Isn't this basically the same as the Wii U?  Wasn't the purpose of the Wii U game pad to allow you to take your gameplay portable?  I recall the Pad was supposed to act as an independent separate screen and you could take your console game on the go with you and play it on the Wii U Game Pad.

Anyway, I hope it does better than the Wii U for Nintendo's sake.  

The Wii U could never do that though, right? With the Switch, the "gamepad" is the console. The dock is just a way to charge it and make it go to the TV, its not the brains of the operation. While with the Wii U, the gamepad didn't have the juice to play any game on it unless it was within range of the console. I didn't have a Wii U except for the first year or so, but that is my understanding, that you couldn't take the Wii U gamepad on vacation and keep playing games but you can with the Switch.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2016 at 0:08 AM, Kevin Wilson said:

The Wii U could never do that though, right? With the Switch, the "gamepad" is the console. The dock is just a way to charge it and make it go to the TV, its not the brains of the operation. While with the Wii U, the gamepad didn't have the juice to play any game on it unless it was within range of the console. I didn't have a Wii U except for the first year or so, but that is my understanding, that you couldn't take the Wii U gamepad on vacation and keep playing games but you can with the Switch.

It's funny - my son just figured out he could play the games on his gamepad and that is all he does now.

It works so much better for him because in his tiny room - getting enough distance for the motion controls to respond properly really soured him on the Wii U.

He has gone from playing it like once a month to using it every single day.

(He has two different DSes so he doesn't have to worry about the portable factor)

• 2 months later...

With the official conference soon, seemed like a good time to revive this thread.

Europe, bless their hearts, has brought us this leaked list. Take it of course as a rumor:

Spoiler

8jwngTz.jpg

Final grain of salt item - several places have it listed at $249.99, which I think is a good price point. 

Here is the youtube link to the live stream of the presentation, which since the console comes out in two months should answer any questions. The stream is already 'live' and has a countdown, the presentation starts at Thursday at 11 PM EST. 

I'd buy this at launch if I could find it at launch, but I am not a crazy person that pays above retail or waits in long lines. If I "happen" across it online, so be it, but I'll wait awhile if necessary. Not like I don't have enough of a backlog anyway.