DVDVR Message Board

Nintendo Switch

Kevin Wilson

We got a Switch for Christmas.  It's mainly for my son but, of course, I made an account for myself on it as well.  Got the Splatoon 2 bundle and he also got Super Mario Odyssey.

Are there any peripherals that are a must have?  We got a car charger, a screen protector, a micro SD card and joy con grips to go along with it.

On 12/24/2017 at 9:20 AM, dogwelder said:

Anyone who wants an old school Zelda-like RPG should get Blossom Tales.

We just got a few indy games and are working our way through them, but that's on my wife's radar for sure.  Right now she's playing the tar out of Cat Quest while looks like a ton of fun.  She goes the indy route while I've been working my way through Mario Odyssey along with some Arms mixed in.  She got me FIFA for Christmas and I'm looking forward to playing this on the go.

And @FireThunder you pretty much have everything you need to get you going aside from another controller set for multiplayer.

• Like 1

My son got his Switch and Super Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild.

Plus he got an extra controller so that means I technically got Super Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild.

I am kinda excited to see what all the fuss is about

• Like 2

Got the girlfriend DOOM. It sure looks like DOOM, even handheld, even though I don't entirely know what it's supposed to look like. I've never been a Bethesda guy - my tastes are strictly big-name Japanese, indie Western with some THPS, Halo, and anything 16-bit love mixed in, still 90% console - but their willingness to take a chance on the Switch is one of the coolest things I've seen a big Western dev do. I might actually get around to playing some of their older stuff if they do a Switch release, or cave in and pick up something like Fallout 3 on PS3.

This week's Xenoblade 2 patch makes the game much more recommendable. The fast-travel map menu is no longer busted and the overlay of the world map now has two sizes to click between. It sounds small but it makes a HUGE difference. The other big fix is the inclusion of an Easy Mode for the Tiger! Tiger! minigame. I used to be a pretty rude dude behind the Dig Dug joystick so this doesn't effect me but I could image the minigame as it was driving other people crazy. Now if I could just have battle tutorials on the pause menu (instead of a bookmarked Reddit page) + a sports bra for Pyra, everything would be perfect. 

My daughter flipped her shit unwrapping her Switch. We got her Odyssey, Mario Kart, and Splatoon 2. I really hate the Splatoon control scheme of aiming by tilting the controller. It just doesn't feel intuitive at all. My daughter send to gravitate towards that one the most though, even if she's bad at it. 

Odyssey on the other hand is amazing. Everything feels right with that game. And Mario Kart is pretty great.

When she goes to bed tonight and I get a turn with it I think I'm going to buy Golf Story and maybe something else.

Accessories I've used every damn day. 

amfilm tempered glass screen protector.  yer gonna fuck up the first one with a tiny mote of dust probably.  that's why there's two.

pdp premium travel case.  blue jean shit with a zipper.  never used the extra game card pouches.  Let's you put the damn nintendo in the little pocket on the back of your passenger seat.

fintie multi angle cover (american flag one).  the kickstand on the switch sucks.  This let's you actually use table top mode.  I also like the method where I set the thing up on top of my coat in my lap in my car.  not recommended if you like holding the system like a game gear.  I'm a table top, hunched over, arms crossed, detached joy-con motherfucker.

Here's something  I didn't mention when it happened.  My dock got bent out of shape during the summer.  It was fine one night and then it was tighter and the system didn't slide in easily after it had been out all day the next night.  This was well after I'd beaten zelda and was only playing portable so long hours of a hot system docked wasn't the culprit.  AND I had the AC on.  I fixed it by using a metal guitar slide and wedging it in and then using a hair dryer to get it malleable then leaving the slide in while I was at work with the system.  As half assed as that was, it went back to normal.

I got into these new pinball games they came out with recently.  I only purchased the universal movie pack for FX3.  I was considering getting the box version of the Stern pinball set but it's only available on gamestop and digital is still about 6 bucks cheaper.  That'll probably be a sought after cartridge down the road.   I settled on the FX3 stuff mainly because it has tate mode and the stern one didn't.  Really want that ghostbusters table tho'.   I don't really like playing real pinball but I love video pinball.  Dragon's Fury on Genesis is the shit.  Hate Crue Ball and Sonic Spinball. I have all 6 NES pinball games in my collection.

That fifa game looks like one of those games I'll get in two years at a disc replay for cheap and almost enjoy even though I hate and know nothing about soccer..   Kinda like how I'd just get one baseball game for my vita.  Hey, y'know, that kinda sucks that there can be no major league baseball on switch.

Oddly enough the only soccer games I've played were the portable ones for DS, never got into the console versions of FIFA.  But I got FIFA 18 for Christmas and it's a blast to play.  It's one of those type of games where it's best to have everything in front of  me instead of the TV.  So far I've been doing tournaments and looking forward to doing league/season.  I don't blame you for waiting for it to get cheaper but whenever you do get it you'll have fun.

Got the screen protector that assfax recommended because, holy shit, the Switch wiggles around like crazy in its dock. It isn't secure at all and I'm hoping it hasn't been all scratched up yet. As someone who has been using a dock for their work laptop for years, why the hell did Nintendo not design some locking feature for the dock that you could unlock with the push of a button or a...switch? The dock is just so poorly and cheaply designed.

Speaking of cheap design, wow, the Switch feels very fragile. About as fragile as those cheap Amazon Fire tablets. This thing is for sure going to break and I'm even happier I dropped the $50 on the extended warranty.

Also picked up a 128 gb memory card and a carrying case. There's so many games on the online shop that I want to play: Golf Story, Sonic Mania, Blossom Tales, Overcooked, Stardew Valley, and a handful of others. Plus, Mario + Rabbids is $40 on the eshop right now. I mean, there's more shit I want to play from the eshop than store bought games like Skyrim, Zelda, and Snipperclips. 

So despite the questionable sturdiness and quality of the system, it's pretty damn fun and my daughter is also obsessed. Now if she could just get better at Splatoon 2.

• Like 1

Got the boy a Switch for Xmas, been having a blast with it so far. He enjoys it too (hehehe). Got Mario Odessey, Snipperclips, Ittle Dew 2, and Axiom Verge. Ittle Dew 2 reminds me a ton of Legend of Zelda Link to the Past in its design, its a puzzle heavy game in the style of old school Zelda. Axiom Verge might be my new favorite game. Its a straight up 16 bit style action Super Metroid clone with a weird story, all kinds of sci fi goodness.

• 2 weeks later...

Dark Souls for the Switch and the Luigi multiplayer mode for Odyssey were mentioned in a couple different threads, but those are some of the announcements from the Nintendo Direct. I'm disappointed though, because I really thought Virtual Console would get announced. I really want to play some classic shit on the go and I want to introduce my daughter to classic games.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Dark Souls for the Switch and the Luigi multiplayer mode for Odyssey were mentioned in a couple different threads, but those are some of the announcements from the Nintendo Direct. I'm disappointed though, because I really thought Virtual Console would get announced. I really want to play some classic shit on the go and I want to introduce my daughter to classic games.

While I was hoping for VC news I can't complain about what's coming out in the first few months.  I'm beyond thrilled to see Mario Tennis as I always loved playing it.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/all-the-new-switch-games-announced-during-the-nint/1100-6456021/

• Thanks 1

I never did get a WiiU because the price never dropped, so I'm buying pretty much every WiiU port they showed. If they just port Captain Toad over on top of what they're bringing over already, I'll be good on WiiU games. 

On 12/28/2017 at 12:16 PM, Craig H said:

Speaking of cheap design, wow, the Switch feels very fragile. About as fragile as those cheap Amazon Fire tablets. This thing is for sure going to break and I'm even happier I dropped the $50 on the extended warranty.

I dunno, did you see that dude drop a Switch 1,000 feet from a drone? Joycons broke but the console was OK. Other than first-gen Wiis, Nintendo = indestructible. For the last fifteen years I wake up every morning and kick my Gamecube down the stairs. Not broken. Pretty sure it can play DVDs now.

11 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I dunno, did you see that dude drop a Switch 1,000 feet from a drone? Joycons broke but the console was OK. Other than first-gen Wiis, Nintendo = indestructible. For the last fifteen years I wake up every morning and kick my Gamecube down the stairs. Not broken. Pretty sure it can play DVDs now.

Even with a screen protector I wouldn't dare think about dropping it from even 2 feet let alone 1,000.  But that is a bit surprising considering the horror stories we initially heard about the system.

The screen protector I bought it for, the glass one, whatever the most popular one is on Amazon, makes the screen even better. I don't use the touchscreen much, but I find that it's way better to use with the screen protector on.

I may have been down on the first big DLC but it doesn't change that the base game ruled and overall I got about 150 hours out of this. Nintendo really seems to be swinging for a bit of an older audience with a lot of the stuff they are bringing in, while still holding onto their core younger gamer titles too.

Labo looks really, really intriguing.  But I can't help but think it's going to be a nightmare of poor quality control, too high prices, and difficult to assemble...things.  But I sure am interested to see how it plays out.