DVDVR Message Board

Nintendo Switch

Kevin Wilson

9 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

We've been saying that shit for how long now? 

It was common knowledge that the Switch version would suck, but I was hoping that it would at least be good enough to get it on sale one day.  But going off Craig's post and elsewhere online it's not even good for that.  It's a shame but for the first time on a new system I expected this.

Thankfully there's a lot of awesome stuff on Switch that it doesn't damper my enjoyment of the system one bit.  It's pretty amazing the comeback Nintendo has had with the system, and having Breath of the Wild win game of the year is a damn good feather to have in their cap.

I really thought about buying it for the Switch for some dumb reason and then reading about how legit broken that game is is such a bummer. Anything more than 1v1 is unplayable because the slowdown is that bad. It doesn't sound like the game crashes, it just sounds like the slowdown and shitty gameplay is so awful that you just can't play the game. Charging full price for that game is fucking bullshit. They shouldn't be allowed to even release it. From the sounds of it, shovelware is better than this. It's like the shit with Star Wars Battlefront 2 where that game was released in such a shitty, predatory state and here we are again where a company is just putting this garbage out there to make some money off of some people knowing full well the game doesn't even work.

The frame rate is dookie. NBA 2K18 also had frame rate issues at launch (though not nearly as bad), and they patched it to make it run better, so hopefully Yuke's is working on a patch right now.

Me, I'm holding out for the inevitable Fire Pro World port to Switch.

Yeah, but patching the framerate isn't going to fix anything else. The graphics look like dogshit. Wrestling games on the Vita look better and play better.

I do hope we get a Fire Pro port, but I'm not holding my breath.

Oh, I can't check now, but is there anything like Ogre Battle or anything else that's turn based on the Switch yet?

My guess is if enough people buy the PS4 port of Fire Pro, we'll eventually get a Switch port too. Matsumoto spoke of his desire to get it ported to the Switch but said at the time it was unlikely. Fire Pro on Switch seems like such a great fit.

The Switch is just going to be one of those consoles that to port from current gen is going to need some extra TLC to make sure everything is smooth and make adjustments. 2K has never been known for this, hell the PS4/XBOX ONE versions have lots of faults as well, I sincerely believe they either don't have a QA team or ignore them. Hopefully developers figure it out, there have been some quality ports so far but it just depends on if the developers care enough to take the extra steps necessary.

I think that the success of the Switch in Japan is going to make a FPW port pretty much a certainty, and I would be surprised if NoA didn't bother to make sure that it also got a U.S. release in some form. 

7 hours ago, Craig H said:

Dumb question, but do games need to install to the Switch's memory like they do on the PS4?

I don't... think any games yet have required it. That I am aware of anyway.

On an unrelated note, Nintendo announced they have sold 10 million units so far this year, which probably doesn't count all the holiday numbers (well it can't since we are still mid-holiday but I am not sure if it counts any). It is likely to pass the lifetime sales of the Wii U within its first year, which admittedly is a low bar but illustrates how much better of an idea the Switch was than the Wii U.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2017 at 2:22 AM, Smelly McUgly said:

I would definitely suggest getting your son a microSD card, Rippa. If he gets a game like WWE 2K18 for Switch, that is 20 GB of download on a 32 GB system. I think that if you can get another 128 GB, that should keep him for a long time unless he gets every 2K or Bethesda game there is out there. 

Okay - just double checking. I can use any microSD card right? it doesn't have to be one specifically for the Switch, correct?

17 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Okay - just double checking. I can use any microSD card right? it doesn't have to be one specifically for the Switch, correct?

It does not have to be a Switch-brand card. I bought a SanDisk microSD card that works perfectly in my Switch. 

Got the Switch in the mail yesterday and thought I'd get it all setup in advance so we don't have to do that on Christmas day. It's really cool. I still think the joycons are way too small for my hands, but it will be perfect for my daughter and I bought a pro controller anyway. I got Mario Odyssey for it and I'm still trying to think of another game for my daughter and I to play, preferably together. I'm going to get Zelda for it, but we can't play that one together and I don't think she cares much about Zelda.

I still need to get a screen protector, an SD card, and a carrying case. Oh yeah, wow, this thing feels fragile. I'm glad I got the extended replacement thing for it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

Got the Switch in the mail yesterday and thought I'd get it all setup in advance so we don't have to do that on Christmas day. It's really cool. I still think the joycons are way too small for my hands, but it will be perfect for my daughter and I bought a pro controller anyway. I got Mario Odyssey for it and I'm still trying to think of another game for my daughter and I to play, preferably together. I'm going to get Zelda for it, but we can't play that one together and I don't think she cares much about Zelda.

I still need to get a screen protector, an SD card, and a carrying case. Oh yeah, wow, this thing feels fragile. I'm glad I got the extended replacement thing for it.

If you want co-op games that aren't competitive, I'd also offer Snipperclips up as an example of a nice little co-op game that's only about thirty bucks. 

Mario and Rabbids has co-op levels as well, though the bulk of the game is single-player, so don't get that unless you're interested in the single-player portion of the game. 

Puyo Puyo Tetris is a good competitive co-op game, too. 

Damn, I forgot all about Mario Kart. I actually bet that's the first game my daughter buys with her allowance money. I'm sure I could find Snipperclips used or something, so that's a good one too. Or Arms.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Craig H said:

Damn, I forgot all about Mario Kart. I actually bet that's the first game my daughter buys with her allowance money. I'm sure I could find Snipperclips used or something, so that's a good one too. Or Arms.

Depending on her age, Overcooked is another smaller indie game but a blast to play co-op. At first it had some lagging issues but it has been patched in the meantime and is much smoother now.

For the MicroSD card questions - the Switch accepts just about any micro card. They recommend Micro SDXC UHS-I, I got this cheap one just to get me started and it works fine. No harm in getting a faster one of course, but as long as its UHS-I you should be fine.

Best Buy has been running deals on MicroSD cards this past month or so.  I got a 128GB for like $29 a few weeks back.   Also,  there's some pretty fun games out there like Monopoly.  I'm not kidding. These games are a blast.  Mario and Zelda are obvious.  I think I'll end up with Skyrim also.  I believe it has all the DLC.