DVDVR Message Board

Nintendo Switch

Kevin Wilson

It seems more and more likely we're going to get my daughter a Switch, which is another way of saying that I will be playing a Switch as well. I can't imagine that just the system will be enough, so what are some recommended add-ons? If it's just my daughter and me playing it (the wife doesn't play video games), then would we be set with the pack-in joycons and a pro controller? Would it be worth it to grab an extra set of joycons? Screen protectors?

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

It seems more and more likely we're going to get my daughter a Switch, which is another way of saying that I will be playing a Switch as well. I can't imagine that just the system will be enough, so what are some recommended add-ons? If it's just my daughter and me playing it (the wife doesn't play video games), then would we be set with the pack-in joycons and a pro controller? Would it be worth it to grab an extra set of joycons? Screen protectors?

Another set of joycons would be recommended if you intend to do multiplayer, but definitely get a screen protector.  If you do get another set of joycons then might as well get the shell grip to go with it.  I haven't used the pro controller but with joycons in shell grip it's a rather comfortable experience.

I think most co-op games you can each person hold one joycon. Since joycons are expensive, unless you know you'll be doing a lot of two player games that require more buttons (like I imagine a game like NBA 2K18 does), I'd hold off buying them until you are sure you need them.

I play it about 50/50 handheld vs. docked, for docked I've always used the Pro Controller but many don't so I wouldn't consider it a requirement. But I like holding a 'real' controller so it was a day 1 purchase for me. Screen protector is also a good idea, plus a case if you'll be on the move with it a lot.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know what to do.  I'm very excited.  I just bought a Switch and the pro controller.   I have to go pick it up in the next couple days.  I mean Mario looks fucking crazy and I know Zelda is nuts.  Do I need to get anything else?  I don't know.  

Any recommendations on accessories or other games?  Or anything I should know before I start playing in a few days?  

Yeah, Zelda and Mario will keep you occupied for a long time.  Maybe pick up Mario Kart, too.  The other major releases are mostly good but only have niche appeal (Arms is only worthwhile if you're just a fighting game fan, Splatoon only if you're just dying for a multiplayer game, etc).

Beyond that, it's really the incredible library of Indie games that drives the Switch.

• Like 1

I kinda divide my games into two categories: AAA titles to play on the big screen, and less critical games to play in handheld mode while on business trips. So I have Mario Kart, Mario, and Zelda for the screen experience, then Stardew Valley, Blaster Master, and Mario x Rabbids for handheld. I regret none of these purchases. Mario x Rabbids could be a big screen game too but I don't think the smaller screen hurts it any with the type of game it is.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I use it the same way but even when I'm indoors at home, I still play a lot on the handheld for some dumbass reason. 

I think I will too and here's why.  I love playing video games on the big screen in the living room but there's a point in the night where I want to go lay down in my bed and watch TV or play on my laptop.  Now I will have the option of laying down in my bed and playing motherfucking Zelda or Mother F'n  Mario.  

So Mario sold about two million copies in three days, while Nintendo announced they have now shipped over 7.5 million units of the Switch.  I can't figure out if Nintendo are lucky or evil geniuses. So many people doubted the idea of the Switch, some of which can be found in this thread, but it appears it was something gamers really really wanted. But they have made so many mistakes over the years its hard to give them too much credit. They just think so outside the box that sometimes its a grand slam and other times they just completely strike out.

Spacing out the games the first year was smart, as it actually worked this time since there were enough Indies that it didn't feel like a game shortage like with the 3DS, and they already have some big games coming in 2018 so it wasn't too front loaded. I love mine so it was a wise purchase on my end, I'm just glad it is doing well as I don't think Nintendo could have handled two straight failed consoles. I just hope they have plenty on hand for Christmas.

They did go seemingly like 3 months without any consoles available at retail in places like Target or best buy. I guess they knew what they were doing, since they had units available in stock in time for Mario this week. 

Btw, had a thing today when one of my controllers stopped working. Easy fix just by taking it off and syncing/testing it. But was weird for a few minutes. 

9 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

So Mario sold about two million copies in three days, while Nintendo announced they have now shipped over 7.5 million units of the Switch.  I can't figure out if Nintendo are lucky or evil geniuses. So many people doubted the idea of the Switch, some of which can be found in this thread, but it appears it was something gamers really really wanted. But they have made so many mistakes over the years its hard to give them too much credit. They just think so outside the box that sometimes its a grand slam and other times they just completely strike out.

Spacing out the games the first year was smart, as it actually worked this time since there were enough Indies that it didn't feel like a game shortage like with the 3DS, and they already have some big games coming in 2018 so it wasn't too front loaded. I love mine so it was a wise purchase on my end, I'm just glad it is doing well as I don't think Nintendo could have handled two straight failed consoles. I just hope they have plenty on hand for Christmas.

Releasing 2 games that have been called perfect almost universally will move units.  Spacing them out feels like it makes a difference too.  I felt like the Wii U failed, because everything I wanted to play came out for the launch with nothing in the pipeline.  Add in the fact that I can take my switch on road trips like a a game boy, but play it on my 60-inch television, and I couldn't resist.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My Mom is getting my son a Switch for his Xmas/Birthday present

Are there any "Extra" things that don't come in the box that I need to make sure I get (extra cords? some sort of memory card? batteries? etc...)

On 12/8/2017 at 8:19 AM, RIPPA said:

My Mom is getting my son a Switch for his Xmas/Birthday present

Are there any "Extra" things that don't come in the box that I need to make sure I get (extra cords? some sort of memory card? batteries? etc...)

A screen protector is pretty much a must, especially if he's going to take it on the road.  A microSD card would be something to get, there should still be some pretty good deals on them online.  But since the software doesn't take up much space it's not something that you'd need on day one.  That should be enough to get him going, though if you're looking to play with him another set of joycon controllers down the line that wouldn't hurt.

I'm kinda in the same boat as I'm getting my daughter (and I guess myself by extension) a Switch. For the SD card, is there a specific one to get that's better than others? Like, the speed or rating of the SD card or whatever that is.

Already got a pro controller and Mario Odyssey. I haven't bought the switch yet because my wife really wants to try to find the Splattoon 2 bundle for the neon green and pink controllers. I'm holding out hope for that one, otherwise I'm getting the red and blue one.

Aside from Odyssey and Zelda, what are the best games to get for this thing? I'll be honest, I'm tempted to get Skyrim just to play mobile Skyrim, but Zelda may already be engaging enough.

Just a heads up - Amazon at least was out of the red and blue so my Mom got the gray one.

So it is possible it will be harder to find the red and blue one the closer you get to Christmas

Best Buy has had it and checking now they still. You're right though, they're never in stock for very long so if I'm going to get that one I may just need to bite the bullet and get it. Ultimately, I would think a kid would just be thrilled more for getting a switch than what the joycon color is.

By the way, is this a good SD card to get? https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandisk-extreme-128gb-microsdxc-uhs-i-memory-card/5110501.p?skuId=5110501

It shows it was $270 and now its $80 for 128 gb.

I would definitely suggest getting your son a microSD card, Rippa. If he gets a game like WWE 2K18 for Switch, that is 20 GB of download on a 32 GB system. I think that if you can get another 128 GB, that should keep him for a long time unless he gets every 2K or Bethesda game there is out there. 

6 hours ago, Craig H said:

Also, don't get WWE 2K18 for the Switch. It's hot fucking garbage and practically broken. They shouldn't have even been allowed to release it.

I'm really glad I got the PS4 version instead.  The fact that it took until last Friday for it to come out was a deal-breaker.  And if it's somehow even more broken than the PS4 version on launch then it's definitely not worth it.  Hopefully they learn for next year but I have my doubts.