DVDVR Message Board

Nintendo Switch

Kevin Wilson

Online is supposed to be free until the fall or so, so it is possible that certain features may also not be up until then.  I assume the important parts will be, that should be enough for launch.

The Shovel Knight deal is that moving forward the previously included free DLC (Plague of Shadows, Specter of Torment) will instead be sold separately on their own.  The Treasure Trove edition hence is the main game (Shovel of Hope) bundled with those two DLC episodes.  I think people who previously bought the base game on other platforms still get the DLC for free.

BTW, one can go register their new Nintendo Account ID thing for the Switch and conceivably other Nintendo products going forward now.  It isn't the same as the previous ID for... reasons but they are seemingly linked.

I'm trying to arrange the rest of the games I'm playing to be done by next Friday so I am free to explore the Wii U version of Zelda.  Should be fun!

In newer Switch news, there seems to be moderately widespread issues with the Switches given out to reviewers in terms of the joycons randomly unsyncing from the system during Zelda and in the system menus.  Kinda hope that is something they can fix with a day 1 patch as if not... that could qualify as very bad.

The guy is a nerd but a few of the reviewers seemed to have figured out the reason, it seems to happen if a human person/body part is in the way as the joycons use a very low amount of energy to save battery life, so they don't have the juice to get through a human. So if they up the juice, it would impact the battery. Or people could just not block the joycons when playing. I assume that is why no one noticed at the 'live' events as people weren't doing unusual things. I don't think I've ever played a game before where a part of my body was between me and the TV so I don't see it personally being an issue, although I guess if people play with the legs propped up or something it could matter.

It just looks like they over-compensated lowering the signal strength to try to get battery life longer. My PS4 DS does work from further way (I've never tried to play through someone), but it also only lasts about eight hours or so on one charge. The JoyCon lasts for approximately 20 hours on one charge, I assume because they picture people playing this at parties and didn't want the joycons dying halfway through the night.

You'd think this would come up in testing but I am always surprised at what issues they don't seem to notice themselves that gamers will somehow find immediately. It seems almost every console launch there is some issue with the console that no one that made it seemed to test/notice, you'd think they'd run through every scenario. But I wouldn't be shocked if its fixed pretty quickly, it doesn't seem like something that would be hard to modify since the joycons have their own firmware/can be updated (there are already 'rumors' that a Day 1 Patch is ready to fix it but I'd rather wait til Nintendo announces something).

I am not sure if Nintendo hurried up some people or it was already the plan, but they now have three well thought-of eShop games that will be available at launch for under $25 - Fast RMX, Snipperclips, and Shovel Knight. Course none of those are "console movers" but are good additions to go along with Zelda until more games start rolling out this summer.

Which makes it even more weird they are being stubborn about the price of 1-2-Switch. Not that either are my cup of tea but Snipperclips looks 1000% more fun than 1-2-Switch and is half the cost. They clearly don't mind having cheaper games available (just the standalone Shovel Knight DLC is $10), maybe Japan is more into games like 1-2-Switch but I think at $50 it will not be a good seller in the US. Or little kids like it and I have no kids so I wouldn't know.

Nintendo is trying really hard to appeal to indie developers, as today they had a presentation showing a bunch of new indie games coming out this year. Most are ports of popular current indies, some are new games:

Here is the full list of games in the presentation:

Spoiler

00:10 - SteamWorld Dig 2
02:52 - Yooka-Laylee
04:09 - Overcooked!
04:49 - The Escapists 2
05:15 - Gonner
05:52 - Dandara
06:23 - Kingdom Two Crowns
06:45 - Runner 3
07:55 - Blaster Master Zero
08:44 - Flipping Death
10:38 - Mr. Shifty
11:06 - TumbleSeed
12:00 - Shakedown: Hawaii
13:29 - Pocket Rumble
14:23 - WarGroove
16:23 - Stardew Valley

My inner child marked out a bit at a new Blaster Master game. Played the hell out of that as a kid. Also, Stardew Valley is getting multiplayer for the game before other consoles (not before PC), as most of the 'ports' are adding new features.

Honestly if Nintendo can produce enough quality in house content (something it never really felt like they committed to on Wii U). They've definitely picked up buzz among gamers that haven't really paid them much attention in recent years. And I think it's a pretty fair statement that Zelda is probably the most anticipated game of the year right now, though ME 4 might have a little to say about that.

We're getting it tomorrow and are definitely excited about it.  Zelda might be the only game worth our time, but considering how massive it's going to be that's more than enough to hold us over.  The controller desyncing issue is worrisome so I'm hoping they fix that soon.  What annoys me is that to really get the most out of it you have to buy all kinds of additional accessories.  With console like PS4 pretty much everything you needed was in the box ready to go.  But for day one I need to get an SD card because the HD size is small and the games take up a lot.  And I'm not fond of buying other controllers and accessories just so I don't get constant hand cramps.  Yet despite all that I'm confident in what Switch will bring, and will be even more happy about it if they announce a new Fire Pro (8pm can't get here soon enough)

On 3/2/2017 at 9:18 AM, RIPPA said:

I have a feeling that I am going to be looking at Christmas time for a Switch for my son and it is going to fill me with rage

I think Nintendo learned (finally!) from leaving a ton of NES Classic money on the table and will step up production. I also don't think the Switch at $300 will sell as well as the Wii at $250. You'll probably be okay. 

I think we'll get some tasty bundles in the fall. I've got my fingers crossed for a FIFA 18 bundle. 

Positively surprised about the Joycons. They are small, but fit my hands quite nicely. Didn't expect that. The game-catridges being SD-cards in size will probably take time to get used to, albeit it makes perfect sense having them designed that way.

First impressions: My girlfriend - as the Legend of Zelda fan she is - praises the game, although she sounded a little disappointed about how different it is compared to earlier titles of the series. It looks very beautiful, and with the long wait beforehand is a huge start-up title. There seems to be a bigger focus on crafting and the story setup so far is quite intriguing.

I was heavily disappointed when I got to play the Twilight Princess remake, which was the first Zelda I put a shift in. Controlls and camera were unnerving, some of the mechanics and dungeon design simply weren't my cup of tea. This game however I will probably give a shot.

I think a lot of it will depend on how Breath of the Wild reviews on the Wii U. (If it is fine - he will just want it for that)

That would pretty much be the only reason my son would want a Switch now (since he happily rotates through all the other Nintendo systems)

Now if they announce some sort of Switch Pokemon game before Christmas - all bets are off

9 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I think a lot of it will depend on how Breath of the Wild reviews on the Wii U. (If it is fine - he will just want it for that)

That would pretty much be the only reason my son would want a Switch now (since he happily rotates through all the other Nintendo systems)

Now if they announce some sort of Switch Pokemon game before Christmas - all bets are off

I think Pokemon on Switch is not a matter of if by when.  I'm expecting an annoucement either at E3 or Tokyo Game Show.

And I'll never hold the controller horizontally, but every other controller configuration is very well-done.  Been playing BOTW and haven't had any issues so far with control placement so that's a plus.  I haven't taken this out and about yet, but the fact that I can play BOTW anywhere I please is awesome.