DVDVR Message Board

Nintendo Switch

Kevin Wilson

My biggest worry regarding the Switch's processing power isn't the upper figure, but the difference between docked and undocked.  The story out is that undocked it either loses 40% of its power or is only running at 40%.  If, like many indie games, you are only looking at that lower figure then it makes no difference.  If you are a bigger company that is looking at the higher figure... it suddenly becomes complicated.  Nintendo will bother with it as they made it that way, but I worry that it will scare others off.

16 minutes ago, username said:

My biggest worry regarding the Switch's processing power isn't the upper figure, but the difference between docked and undocked.  The story out is that undocked it either loses 40% of its power or is only running at 40%.  If, like many indie games, you are only looking at that lower figure then it makes no difference.  If you are a bigger company that is looking at the higher figure... it suddenly becomes complicated.  Nintendo will bother with it as they made it that way, but I worry that it will scare others off.

I can see that being a concern for some, recent 'leaks' have it at 40% loss of GPU clockspeed. I'm definitely no developer nor do I understand how it works but I wouldn't think it would be radically different than PC games having an "Ultra" option and "Minimal" option, with the only difference being it would be automatic instead of an actual option. Course keeping the game looking pretty would take some tweaking but if the system sells well it's likely something that would be worth the hassle. NBA 2K18 may be a good test to see how it looks on the Switch docked/undocked vs. other consoles as I think its the first game coming out for the Switch and others at the same time instead of being a game already made and ported in later to the Switch. 

I imagine that will be one of the main things covered in the first six months, what the drop is, how difficult it is to port games, etc. But so far no developer has come out and said its an issue, its just people being hypothetical. EA and Ubisoft had no issues trashing the Wii U so if there is a problem with porting I am sure they will tell us shortly :) 

20 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

As far as notable M-rated games on Nintendo consoles: GTA: Chinatown Wars on DS, Eternal Darkness on Gamecube, Madworld on Wii, Bayonetta 2 on WiiU, off the top of my head. 

Re: WWE on Switch, WWE All-Stars 2 would be the perfect arcadey counterpart on Switch to the WWE sim games on other consoles, but sadly THQ San Diego is of-course long dead, so I don't know if 2K farming that IP out to one of their studios would really even come close to the greatness that was All-Stars. 

Now I want to plead 2K to farm the All-Stars IP and make this a thing for the Switch.  Put an updated roster and it'll be pure gold.  Heck, I still play the 3DS version and it's just wonderfully wacky to take that type of game with you.  Put that on Switch with more power behind it and I'm beyond sold.

Nintendo isn't playing around, they have a commercial this year during the Super Bowl:

The longer version of the ad shows more but I think they were smart to focus on the portability/Zelda rather than ARMS/1-2-Switch for the 30 second version.

It would have been nice if they had included a digital download for ARMS or 1-2-Switch, but I think bundling with Zelda would have been a poor financial move on their part. If they sell 2 million units in the first month as is, I think it is safe to say at least 20% of those people are buying Zelda as some people have been anticipating it for years. That is just way too much money to leave on the table as a company, and I don't know if it would have actually led to many more units sold. People buying the Switch now are people that would have brought it one way or the other, bundling Zelda just would have hurt their bottom line. I don't think at launch a system has included the #1 game people would buy anyway since the SNES, and no home console at launch has had an included game since the Wii. I mean its already sold out everywhere, I don't think it would have benefited them to bundle Zelda.

But I wouldn't be surprised if for the holidays they bundle it with a game. They are getting the hardcores now, but when it comes to getting kids around the holidays I think they may add in a little something to sweeten the pot. Or have one with a new 'skin' like they love to do with the DS.

On an unrelated note, Nintendo President Tatsumi Kimishima announced that the online service will be 2,000 to 3,000 yen for the yearly plan (I dunno if they haven't decided or he was being intentionally vague). Since I imagine it will be a round number to us too, I'd guess that would translate to $20 to $30 a year.

13 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

On an unrelated note, Nintendo President Tatsumi Kimishima announced that the online service will be 2,000 to 3,000 yen for the yearly plan (I dunno if they haven't decided or he was being intentionally vague). Since I imagine it will be a round number to us too, I'd guess that would translate to $20 to $30 a year.

That's way too much for a service that spots you one NES or SNES game a month for one-month access and that doesn't give you the option of voice chat via the console itself.

I don't mind paying for PS+ because I basically get 48 games a year between PS4 and VITA, and that combined with the sometimes extremely low sales prices provides a savings and value well past what I pay for it. The opportunity to play, say, SMB3 online for a month doesn't come close to matching that, and I doubt that Nintendo will slash prices in sales to the degree that Sony does just based on past history. 

I get that Nintendo saw Sony and Microsoft raking in literal billions on their online services and decided to get in on that action, but they don't know how to give value. Maybe it's enough to just have twenty or thirty million people who really want to play Mario Kart and Smash online, though. 

33 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

That's way too much for a service that spots you one NES or SNES game a month for one-month access and that doesn't give you the option of voice chat via the console itself.

I don't mind paying for PS+ because I basically get 48 games a year between PS4 and VITA, and that combined with the sometimes extremely low sales prices provides a savings and value well past what I pay for it. The opportunity to play, say, SMB3 online for a month doesn't come close to matching that, and I doubt that Nintendo will slash prices in sales to the degree that Sony does just based on past history. 

I get that Nintendo saw Sony and Microsoft raking in literal billions on their online services and decided to get in on that action, but they don't know how to give value. Maybe it's enough to just have twenty or thirty million people who really want to play Mario Kart and Smash online, though. 

It doesn't bother me any. I have PS Plus and XBox Gold also, and while they give a lot of free games I've probably played one or two of them total in the last year. What will matter will be the quality of free game and how good their deals are, for me the free games PS Plus and Gold offer aren't usually very appealing. It will also have the exclusive deals, so again it is people complaining about a service before they even see what the service offers. And to me, yes, it is worth $2 to play SMB3 for a month, I am concerned it will be worse games than that, but if they add legitimately good games then even better.

I just can't fathom a world where $25 a year is too much for anything, hell I've spent that much just eating at Subway this week. I probably eat too much at Subway.

I'd rather spend that $25 on a six-month old AAA release that I really want than on another online service that ultimately doesn't really provide me with much outside of letting me play online myself.

And at least upgrade your sub-eating experience to Jersey Mike's or something, sweet mother of mercy! 

We didn't even really call Fresh names. We just lightly busted his balls and he took such an offense to that. Ah well.

It's however many pages back, but I took a look at that release list. There's a lot on there that are re-releases or ports of games on other systems. I really, really want this to be good, but it's coming across as another wacky Nintendo product with another shallow pool of games to choose from. I skipped out on the Wii U and felt pretty good for doing so. I may do the same for this, but I still could be compelled to try and get one if Zelda turns out to be the shit.

Then again, it's been going on 2 years now where I've been unable to bite the bullet on buying an Xbone and if I haven't picked that up yet, I doubt I'll get a Switch before it. Or maybe I will if it turns out to be a shit load of fun.

I think people that either don't have to play Zelda right way or don't have to have every console right away can safely wait until at least the holidays to pick one up and not miss much. The library will be bigger by then and there will likely be announcements about Pokemon, Smash, etc. by then as well.  They are selling it like they are intentionally rolling out games slowly since with the DS they had a decent launch but then nothing for eight months, but I don't know if that is just 'spin'. 

I think new Mario + Zelda + Mario Kart (I never played 8 on Wii U) is too much for a Nintendo fan to pass up on, but normal people can probably resist for at least awhile ;)

11 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Well I have a Subway literally in the building where I work at, which is the only food place we have, so its crazy convenient.

I have 3 Subways within a few miles.   It's very difficult to not end up there. I'd go to Moe's but it takes too much time.

• 3 weeks later...

I think by now we should know all the games coming out in the first few months (although smaller indie titles keep popping up), so according to wikipedia this is where we are at through May:

Spoiler

PKnHpRr.jpg

I have no idea why Shovel Knight is listed with so many versions. Anyway, places like Target and Gamestop (minimally) will have an allotment available on the 3rd that they held from pre-orders, although I doubt they will announce exact numbers. Otherwise they'd been hard to find, although Nintendo announced they increased production so I don't think it will be a Wii-like situation for very long.

I am guessing at this point they just aren't going to tell us about the online situation, so that will be a surprise. Since the Switch works with Unity and Unreal Engine 4, along with the relatively cheap dev kits, I don't expect to see a game shortage for very long. Whether the games are good or not is another story but plenty should be available anyway. And now I just patiently wait for 10 days, I've been avoiding Zelda leaks like the plague but even the few bits I have seen have me quite excited.