DVDVR Message Board

RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2 SINGLE PLAYER

RIPPA

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Yeah, I did this too on my way to meeting up with one of the gunslingers. Walking across that frozen lake felt...harrowing.

That must be a set thing then. I also shot a couple deer on the way. But I wish I had packed my winter outfit 

13 hours ago, Robert C said:

Hey, I've been a good boy.

Well, I've tried to be a good boy.

Some of the time, anyway.

You're only able to say that because you're in singeplayer where no one can see you.

We all know once online launches, you and melraz will be in a "rolling block off" contest on some poor fuckers just trying to make a stew at camp.

I'm pretty sure I just did the mission in Valentine that Rippa mentioned a page or two back. It was fun as shit, the payout was great, and yeah... won't be going back for a while.

One question - does St Denis really not have a hotel? Seems strange to me given how big it is. I can't believe there are only two places to take a bath (at least as far as I have been on the map.)

I have decided I suck shit at getting pristine pelts, so for now I switched focus to legendary animals. Finally got revenge on the bear that ate my ass off the first time I found him. Went on the high side and shot him with the rolling block, which just pissed him off. I fumbled the controls and he got too close, so I panicked and spammed deadeye with the pump shotgun in his face. Not much face left after that.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RUkered said:

You're only able to say that because you're in singeplayer where no one can see you.

We all know once online launches, you and melraz will be in a "rolling block off" contest on some poor fuckers just trying to make a stew at camp.

Pretty much.  No stew for you.  I'll just about have the shot lined up when melraz snipes em out of their boots or Stout rides into camp on a dynamite laden horse.

• Haha 3

Reading other folks stuff, it's funny how differently I'm playing than most seem to be.

So far I:

Have only done the two hunting missions that the game forces you to do with Hosea and Charles

Haven't fenced anything

Haven't changed clothes besides the one time it makes you.

Haven't shaved.  Arthur is starting to look like late 70's Waylon Jennings.

Haven't run into any gunslingers

I also had no idea there were home robberies, or that you could sell horses.

7 minutes ago, Robert C said:

Reading other folks stuff, it's funny how differently I'm playing than most seem to be.

So far I:

Have only done the two hunting missions that the game forces you to do with Hosea and Charles

Haven't fenced anything

Haven't changed clothes besides the one time it makes you.

Haven't shaved.  Arthur is starting to look like late 70's Waylon Jennings.

Haven't run into any gunslingers

I also had no idea there were home robberies, or that you could sell horses.

I do very very little hunting - mainly because I am usually doing other stuff and am like "Well this is no way I am getting this carcass back before it rots". I really need to do more just for the simple increase to Dead Eye

How are you getting money if you haven't sold anything to the fence yet? Oh wait... you are just slaughtering 100s of people and looting them.

I did one round with one gunslinger and that's it. I have been challenged to two horse races but declined them both because I knew I would lose and they would take me way away from where I was going.

And selling horse is one of the basic tutorial missions - have you done that little in the way of missions?

I haven't been to one fence yet and I have hundreds of dollars banked. It's getting annoying donating $50 at a time to the donation box and then checking the ledger and seeing no one else donate over a dollar. 

I'm also not slaughtering everyone. I've been playing the game as a good guy and I basically just roam the land and go on adventures. If I kill anyone, it's the people that try to kill me first, like the O'Driscolls.

I also rarely spend money. The most I may have spent, other than donating money, was about $20 for a shave, hair style, and bath.

Count me in for not knowing about home robberies. The only time I robbed a home was for that mission with Hosea where you steal the stagecoach. I opted to do the mission at night and looted the guy's home in the Dell while Hosea grabbed the stagecoach. I kept expecting something to go sideways with that mission, but nothing happened. It was so easy.

Regarding the gunslingers, at least the ones you have to find for the book the guy is writing, you don't really run into them. They're all hiding out in various locations, most of them annoying as shit. Spoilers for those...

Spoiler

I only liked two of them. The one where you dynamite the guy's shitpile and the one where you go to the bayou were the best ones. I think the bayou one is the only one where you don't kill one of the gunslingers.

Anyway, I've found each person, but the guy writing the book is nowhere to be found.

By the way, can someone help me understand the dueling system? The screen says every time to slowly pull on the trigger button to fill the meter, but if you do that slowly, the other guy just murders you. So now I just quickly pull my trigger button and shoot down the person. The only meter I've seen is the circle that surrounds the button indicator on screen, but again, doing that slowly just leads to you dying. I don't get it.

• Like 1

RE: the dueling

There is a fine line you have to walk between just pressing the button all the way in and kinda tapping so you have more time to paint a guy (or go for the hand) but yeah - it tends to be hard as fuck.

I am playing as a pure good guy too - doesn't mean I am not going to the fence to cash in my gold bricks to get $300. Upgrades cost a lot of fucking money.

For the robberies - I found out about two of them because I saved random strangers and they told me about places.

Another one was Susan (I think it was Susan) telling me we should rob the bank in Valentine

Click left on the D-pad and look at your tasks - they might be sitting there waiting for you to do.

7 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Hide contents

I only liked two of them. The one where you dynamite the guy's shitpile and the one where you go to the bayou were the best ones. I think the bayou one is the only one where you don't kill one of the gunslingers.

Anyway, I've found each person, but the guy writing the book is nowhere to be found.

Spoiler

I read that there's one more gunslinger once you get to chapter 4 or 5, so I assume the book writer will show back up at that point.  

5 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

For the robberies - I found out about two of them because I saved random strangers and they told me about places.

Another one was Susan (I think it was Susan) telling me we should rob the bank in Valentine

Click left on the D-pad and look at your tasks - they might be sitting there waiting for you to do.

Oh damn, I forgot about her telling me about robbing the bank. Honestly though, after my botched robbery of the back of the drugstore, I don't want to rob anything else. It's just a shit show. A total and complete mess. If there was a way to do it cleanly, I would be all for it, but the moment you open fire or even draw your gun you get a bounty on your head. Then you have to fight your way out, which just raises the bounty more and more. Or you die along the way and it was all pointless.

I'll have to try the bank robbery, but it's definitely going to be on a different save file.

The one home robbery I did (not counting the one with Javier) was, as I said, amazingly fucked up but it was like a story mission so it was virtually impossible to fuck up.

Now some of the other ones might be a different story

Man ... so far nothing has gone well.  

The mission with Keiran going up attack the O'Driscolls was such a shit show.  I don't know how the fuck you're supposed to sneak up on them because I silently took out the 3 nearest ones with throwing knives to the head but that somehow immediately alerted the rest of the camp. 

Then once it was all done I'm there looting corpses and the law randomly shows up to find me in the middle of 30 dead bodies and I immediately have a $200 bounty on my head and half a dozen bullet holes in my body.  Lose all the loot I collected AND have a massive bounty to pay off.  

I can't even fathom the bounty amounts we are all going to get once online launches.  

There are definitely missions were if you linger too long - the law shows up.

I had that happen to me where Arthur goes "I am going to stick around and see what I can find". I got control, looted one body and then the law was suddenly there.

So yeah - loitering to loot bodies is a gamble

2 hours ago, RUkered said:

I have decided I suck shit at getting pristine pelts, so for now I switched focus to legendary animals. Finally got revenge on the bear that ate my ass off the first time I found him. Went on the high side and shot him with the rolling block, which just pissed him off. I fumbled the controls and he got too close, so I panicked and spammed deadeye with the pump shotgun in his face. Not much face left after that.

Go after the Legendary Buck, it will improve all of your pelts.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

I do very very little hunting - mainly because I am usually doing other stuff and am like "Well this is no way I am getting this carcass back before it rots". I really need to do more just for the simple increase to Dead Eye

How are you getting money if you haven't sold anything to the fence yet? Oh wait... you are just slaughtering 100s of people and looting them.

I did one round with one gunslinger and that's it. I have been challenged to two horse races but declined them both because I knew I would lose and they would take me way away from where I was going.

And selling horse is one of the basic tutorial missions - have you done that little in the way of missions?

I really haven't gone wholesale slaughter yet, though I do try to loot every rat bastard that comes after me.  Mostly I just don't spend any money.  I've bought a pump shotgun and a pistol, that's it.

I guess I did sell the one horse in Valentine, but I thought that was only for horses you bought or were given as part of a mission - kind of like how that one was.

Didn't know there were horse races, though I'd been expecting them to be there, at least for online.

I've been sticking to the main storyline series mostly, early in chapter 4.  I'm up around 3K in cash.  Camp is upgraded completely, except for one thing that I don't care if I ever get.

1 minute ago, Robert C said:

Didn't know there were horse races, though I'd been expecting them to be there, at least for online.

Yeah - twice I have had random dudes ride up to me and be all "Your horse looks pretty fast - how about we race to (insert random location I have never heard of here)"

I haven't done them since I know my horses are not fast.

I am proud of the fact that I named Hosea's old Shire horse (which I chose to keep and not sell) "Roy Shire"

51 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

There are definitely missions were if you linger too long - the law shows up.

I had that happen to me where Arthur goes "I am going to stick around and see what I can find". I got control, looted one body and then the law was suddenly there.

So yeah - loitering to loot bodies is a gamble

That happened to me when we rescued Sean. There were so many bodies to loot from which I was denied. 

9 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

That happened to me when we rescued Sean. There were so many bodies to loot from which I was denied. 

Had the same thing happen to me.  I had looted a bunch when I got the warning.  Ran away and evaded the law.  Came back and some, but not all, of the bodies were still there.  I was able to loot what was still there.

27 minutes ago, Robert C said:

Had the same thing happen to me.  I had looted a bunch when I got the warning.  Ran away and evaded the law.  Came back and some, but not all, of the bodies were still there.  I was able to loot what was still there.

I didnt go back because when I rode away, I found a couple Elk to kill and I figured the buck with big rack would get some good $.