Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2 SINGLE PLAYER


Recommended Posts

I got my copy yesterday.  Install was not nearly as horrific as I thought it would be, but I still haven't installed my War Horse bonus content yet.

I'm at work now and I don't expect to get home until late, so I will play tomorrow on my pseudo day off.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Argh. I accidentally restarted this mission instead of just the step I failed. 

Happened to me on the train, I think it's a mistake everyone must go through!

On 10/27/2018 at 11:33 PM, Niners Fan in CT said:

Yeah this really doesn't remind me much of other Rockstar games, it has certain elements sure but everything from the way the NPCs interact with you to the weather system to the gun mechanics to the maintenance is more like Witcher is something like that but it feels fresh..     The gun controls aren't perfect but I like them better than a typical GTA game.  They have a lot more weight to them too.  

I spent a couple hours today just exploring and getting into shit with people. 

Yup, the original is very much GTA with horses when you look back. This is very much its own thing, much more mature and nuanced and deliberate. Having said that, it reminds me of San Andreas with all the customising and keeping Arthur healthy etc

11 hours ago, Fuzzy Dunlop said:

I never knew I was so fucked up.  If I was in Westworld, I guess I'd be a murderous psychopath.

I was thinking about Westworld while playing the game, and mused on how cool it would be if there was a game within the game like the MIB was after

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll just say this. I've been in a blizzard at night in the Sawtooth mountains and that opening scene was eerily accurate. This game is really something else....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Today in I am a dumbass

A) Didn't realize you could use Dead Eye inside buildings to see what was lootable

B) Didn't know a quick tap down on the D pad brings up a log of all the shit you are working on. (I kept holding it down and only getting Arthur's journal)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I spent the better part of 45 minutes trying to get my horse back that had all my shit on it. I accidentally stole one and didn't even realize it until the game prompted me to return it.

I wasn't paying attention when I rode by the guy who yelled "Hey that's my horse!" My wife caught it though, so I rode back but could never find the guy again. I hitched it and hoped it would count as returned, but then I realized I was stuck on foot, so I put on my mask and shot a guy off his wagon. Instant bounty.

I loaded from my previous checkpoint - still the damn temporary horse. Decided to drown it in a river, but couldn't find a deep spot, so all I did was slowwwwwwly walk down the water for 10 minutes.

I couldn't shoot it, couldn't find the stable to sell it, etc. I finally died and both horses were on the map again, so I ran forever to get to it bc I was afraid to whistle.

Also, to piggyback on one of Phil's comments, I finally gave up on keeping up with my hat. They should have named this Red Dead: Where'd Mah Shit Go?

Link to post
Share on other sites

So I killed the legendary bear and had it's carcass on the back of my horse for the long journey back to camp.  Just as I was almost back to the base, a stagecoach blocks the road and some dude starts talking to me and then a group of O'Driscolls starts shooting me in the back.  I died, and lost my legendary bear pelt...but I gained an overwhelming hatred for O'Driscolls.  

Word of advice, get a Varmint Rifle asap, it is pretty much the only way you can get 3-Star pelts from anything smaller than a deer.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, RUkered said:

I spent the better part of 45 minutes trying to get my horse back that had all my shit on it. I accidentally stole one and didn't even realize it until the game prompted me to return it.

I wasn't paying attention when I rode by the guy who yelled "Hey that's my horse!" My wife caught it though, so I rode back but could never find the guy again. I hitched it and hoped it would count as returned, but then I realized I was stuck on foot, so I put on my mask and shot a guy off his wagon. Instant bounty.

I loaded from my previous checkpoint - still the damn temporary horse. Decided to drown it in a river, but couldn't find a deep spot, so all I did was slowwwwwwly walk down the water for 10 minutes.

I couldn't shoot it, couldn't find the stable to sell it, etc. I finally died and both horses were on the map again, so I ran forever to get to it bc I was afraid to whistle.

Also, to piggyback on one of Phil's comments, I finally gave up on keeping up with my hat. They should have named this Red Dead: Where'd Mah Shit Go?

Wait, how do you load a prior checkpoint?

Also, you know what is really annoying? When you spend $15 on a new hat that looks just right and then 10 minutes later you fuck up, see what the antagonize option does, find out it leads to a fight where you kill someone, then the law comes to shoot you down, you get your hat shot off somewhere, and then you die. Now my hat is gone and I need to buy another one. 

Oh, and losing all of my money when I later turned myself in was annoying as shit. Thankfully I got a lot of it back on the one O'Driscoll mission where you think Colm is holed up in a cabin. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, supremebve said:

So I killed the legendary bear and had it's carcass on the back of my horse for the long journey back to camp.  Just as I was almost back to the base, a stagecoach blocks the road and some dude starts talking to me and then a group of O'Driscolls starts shooting me in the back.  I died, and lost my legendary bear pelt...but I gained an overwhelming hatred for O'Driscolls.  

This almost exact same thing happened to me. I survived this specific encounter but there was another time when I had a bunch of shit on my horse and got jumped by the O'Driscolls again and did not and I lost all my shit and I was filled with murderous rage.

Quote

Word of advice, get a Varmint Rifle asap, it is pretty much the only way you can get 3-Star pelts from anything smaller than a deer.

Another thing I learned today - some animals pelts start at poor so no matter what you do, it won't be perfect. You can definitely examine their pelts from your binoculars.

Another anther thing I also learned - you can lasso bigger animals (like deer) and it will give you a prompt you to kill them with a knife. This almost always ensures you get a perfect pelt.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tromatagon said:

Man.  You really rack up bounties fast 

I got a bounty, because I ran into some dude, he pulled a gun on my, and I shot him in the face.  He pulled a gun on me for bumping into him while running in the street, was I supposed to let him shoot me instead?  I had to pay like $35 in Valentine, or people would just start shooting at me.  I only had about $150 so $35 was a significant loss.  

Am I the only one who is always bumping into stuff while running or galloping on their horse.  I don't know how I maxed out my horse loyalty, because I've run into rocks, trees, off cliffs, down too steep hills, and even tumbled off of a mountain (that killed the horse, but I had a horse reviver).

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Wait, how do you load a prior checkpoint?

I'm kind of second guessing my memory now because I was getting really tired when I did it, but I'm pretty sure it was an option when I died. Something like: Restart Mission, Restart from last checkpoint, and a third option I can't recall.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Robert C said:

Game wasn't grabbing me till last night.   Then I had Two Beer with Lenny.  I'm in now.

 

Sorry for the double post.

I have been good about not spoiling myself, but you're like the third or fourth person online that I have seen reference that mission and/or say it's hilarious. Can't wait to get to it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Robert C said:

Game wasn't grabbing me till last night.   Then I had Two Beer with Lenny.  I'm in now.

 

I also did that one last night and it is hilarious and utterly charming.

The only thing I'm really not digging are the O'Driscoll ambushes.  They're a bit too frequent and too deadly since you tend to get caught out in the middle of nowhere without cover.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...