DVDVR Message Board

RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2 SINGLE PLAYER

RIPPA

I've been in mission mode pretty hardcore so far, avoiding any stranger missions and the like. Part of that is because I want to keep playing after the game is 'finished' (assuming you can do that) and have some things to do.

Y'all have inspired me to chill and explore a bit more though

Since I presume everyone will be good here about not spoiling story content, I don’t feel the need to rush through, as I might have with Other things like ME.

plus, there will be so many distractions (animals, flowers, card games, ...).

Yeah - general policy is for now (since the game is new) to if you are going to discuss story specifics - please use spoiler boxes.

Also - yeah - there are two options when you fail a mission. Reload from Checkpoint or Reload Start of Mission.

There also clearly has to be a way to eventually replay missions since they have optional challenge type things

Things I noticed so far, couple spoilers, though I figure most people are ahead of me:

Spoiler

I really hope I get to shoot Micah in the face at some point.  Especially after I busted his sorry ass outta jail.

They're really using WCW level subtlety with whatever the fuck happened in Blackwater.  Wonder who set em up.  My guess so far is Hosea

Same thing with this girl Dutch shot during the robbery attempt there.  Our body count is in the triple digits since then, but she keeps getting brought up.  Even got a name last night, though I can't remember it.

The first train robbery is where I failed because I was taking too long. Lenny kept asking who was gonna take the lead, I didn't respond so he got fed up and charged ahead and got shot which led to an insta-fail

That is why I am so paranoid now about looting boots

Just now, RIPPA said:

The first train robbery is where I failed because I was taking too long. Lenny kept asking who was gonna take the lead, I didn't respond so he got fed up and charged ahead and got shot which led to an insta-fail

That is why I am so paranoid now about looting boots

I failed that one twice for the same reason.  Fortunately, you can go back and loot afterwards, at least for that one.

In case Stout is wondering, Mary Lou isn't really in the game.  There's a similar mechanic in this one, and I use it in gunfights, but I don't think it works quite as well.  It's just a dive, rather than a full roll.  It does seem to help line up headshots, though.

Yeah that dolphin dive thing I discovered by random - I don't remember what I was trying to do but I did that instead.

I mean it still makes it tougher to get shot.

I also did it once and tackled a bounty I was trying to get.

1 minute ago, Robert C said:

Things I noticed so far, couple spoilers, though I figure most people are ahead of me:

Hide contents

I really hope I get to shoot Micah in the face at some point.  Especially after I busted his sorry ass outta jail.

They're really using WCW level subtlety with whatever the fuck happened in Blackwater.  Wonder who set em up.  My guess so far is Hosea

Same thing with this girl Dutch shot during the robbery attempt there.  Our body count is in the triple digits since then, but she keeps getting brought up.  Even got a name last night, though I can't remember it.

Spoiler

I don't understand why they tolerate Micah, he is a total loose cannon who is either going to bring the law down on them or get them killed.  So far he's done nothing but be murderous, racist, sociopath who brings nothing at all to the table.

As much as i like ridin ol' mule (my horses name) and seein all the country. I really miss the quick travel option from camp. This map is huge. The good thing about it is I get to smack into trees and knock my horse and myself for a loop. I laugh every single time. 

Oh and getting kicked by horses is great too. Knocks the shit out of ya. I'm easily amused. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, melraz09 said:

As much as i like ridin ol' mule (my horses name) and seein all the country. I really miss the quick travel option from camp. This map is huge. The good thing about it is I get to smack into trees and knock my horse and myself for a loop. I laugh every single time. 

Oh and getting kicked by horses is great too. Knocks the shit out of ya. I'm easily amused. 

Apparently, if you upgrade your tent in camp, you can get a map that allows you to fast travel.  I haven't done it yet, but I saw it in a YouTube video.

1 hour ago, Robert C said:

Reveal hidden contents

My dumbass is failing to remember how to do  the spoiler box right now, so I'll just speak vaguely instead. To your second point, I am only barely into chapter 2 and they have brought that shit up so many times that I feel like I'm listening to Uncle Rico talk about how he'd have won state.

1 hour ago, Robert C said:

In case Stout is wondering, Mary Lou isn't really in the game.  There's a similar mechanic in this one, and I use it in gunfights, but I don't think it works quite as well.  It's just a dive, rather than a full roll.  It does seem to help line up headshots, though.

Since Stout coined the term Mary Lou, I'd like to throw my hat in the ring early as calling the new dodge move the "Tom Brady." I'm open to all suggestions and improvements.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, melraz09 said:

My understanding is that you get fast travel "about 20 hours" into the game. 

There is a throwback to the first game that is SOOOOO utterly fucking great that I can't wait to nerd out on. However, I don't want spoilers either so I'll wait However, suffice it to say, the writing in this one is very solid.

34 minutes ago, RUkered said:

My dumbass is failing to remember how to do  the spoiler box right now, so I'll just speak vaguely instead. To your second point, I am only barely into chapter 2 and they have brought that shit up so many times that I feel like I'm listening to Uncle Rico talk about how he'd have won state.

I'm probably not more than 3-4 missions ahead of you, I'd guess.  They're just hammering on that.

56 minutes ago, melraz09 said:

I was thinking to myself that I haven't run into a tree even once, and was wondering why that was.  Then it occurred to me - "Saddle up boys, we're goin as the crow flies."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, supremebve said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I don't understand why they tolerate Micah, he is a total loose cannon who is either going to bring the law down on them or get them killed.  So far he's done nothing but be murderous, racist, sociopath who brings nothing at all to the table.

He's basically there to be that one guy, I'd figure.  He's Waingro in Heat, Klaus Kinski's character in For a Few Dollars More, or any of a thousand other similar movie characters that usually end up the same way.

1 hour ago, RUkered said:

My dumbass is failing to remember how to do  the spoiler box right now, so I'll just speak vaguely instead.

In the reply box - in all the buttons at the top you should see an eyeball

That is the spoiler

Click that and then type in the box it provides

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Robert C said:

I was thinking to myself that I haven't run into a tree even once, and was wondering why that was.  Then it occurred to me - "Saddle up boys, we're goin as the crow flies."

I passed some crows today. They followed me and said the way nate rides is quicker. Lets follow him. 

• Like 4

I am unnervingly displeased that you can't skin human beings

I also shot a dog who barked at me funny. But I didn't kill it, I just let it scamper off into the woods to die slow in insufferable pain. I mean, strangers and pigs are fair game but dogs? I love dogs.

I think there might be something wrong with me.

4 hours ago, Zimbra said:

I also did that one last night and it is hilarious and utterly charming.

The only thing I'm really not digging are the O'Driscoll ambushes.  They're a bit too frequent and too deadly since you tend to get caught out in the middle of nowhere without cover.

I have a bounty high enough that when those O'Driscoll fucks aren't attacking me, the lawmen are.  In fact, I killed a bunch of O'Driscolls and THEN had the lawmen show up and kill me right after that.  Bullshit man.