DVDVR Message Board

NXT TakeOver: Toronto

The Natural

Well I loved this show.  Joe/Nak delivered a much better match this go round that felt like a big deal.  Mickie James looked great and I loved the post match diss by the increasingly arrogant Asuka. Tag title match was as good as id hoped going in.  Opener and TM61/AoP were solid.  Great show as usual by the NXT crew.

• Like 1

On first watch, the tag match is going to be my new MOTY for WWE/NXT. Just perfect storytelling throughout. Very creative stuff using the ref that didn't feel like it was blatantly ripped off. They put their own spin on classic tag team wrestling and created something legendary.

I've been thinking that NXT should move towards being a tag team territory of sorts. It would make it so much easier to get experience for the developmental guys that way.

The rest of the show was average wrestling with a great crowd, IMO. Everybody tried hard but there wasn't anything I'd go back and watch a second time. The tag match I'll probably watch again tonight.

• Like 2

Absolutely willing to call DIY/Revival a top 10 tag match of all time, without hyperbole.  Absolute classic up there with Can-Ams vs Kikuchi/Kobashi, HDA vs Misawa/Kobashi and so on.  Can't wait for Meltz to justify why some bullshit Young Bucks match was better.

• Like 1

Ciampa's stretch in the second fall where he was kicking ass on his own for an extended period of time was outstanding. It duped me into thinking that they must be losing and he must be turning because he was such a one man wrecking machine. I bit on the nearfalls even more at the end because of it.

You're watching and rooting for Johnny to hold up his end of the team and keep them together.

• Like 1

I was most looking forward to seeing Mickie and am glad that she had a good showing against Asuka. It wasn't the match of the night but it was very physical and Mickie managed to hang in there with the champ. Would be cool if this leads to us getting to see more of her.

And I am so ready for Asuka to go full blown heel. 

I didn't think it was possible to be better than the Brooklyn tag title match and they exceeded it by a wide margin.  Some great finishes and non finishes.  What make a great match these days is not seeing anything great coming.   so much stuff came out of nowhere and was perfect.

It is still amazing that the Spirit Squad and the Headbangers are on Smackdown and they aren't.  Although given how nothing American Alpha has become maybe we are actually lucky.  

Tye/Roode was very solid with a great crowd behind it. I actually thought Tye might win once or twice. AoP vs. TM61 was solid.

DIY vs. Revival was a MOTDC, and Revival are definitely up there as one of the greatest WWE tag teams at a minimum just based on this year alone.

Mickie/Asuka was quite good, way better than I thought it would be. It was nice seeing Asuka in danger, and the diss at the end was awesome. Not sure if its better than the Bayley matches, but I honestly liked it more than both. I so hope this is the beginning of an Asuka heel turn. Crazy clown face Asuka will be fantastic if we get to that point in WWE.

Nakamura/Joe was a fine match. I enjoyed it a decent bit more than their Takeover Brooklyn encounter. Not sure about Joe winning though I did dig the finish.

17 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

Well, if the New Day really are about to break Demolition's record, it seems only appropriate for the Tully/Arn tribute to be the ones that end it once they do.

Remember back at Roadblock they tease New Day vs. Revival

Good show. Thought Roode/Dillinger was very good despite never thinking much of Dillinger. Similarly thought TM61 looked their best here in a nice fast paced tag. Glad the Authors of Pain won the trophy as they keep on killing it. DIY/Revival was amazing. So many great sequences. Loved the title to the knee and using that to tease the submission finish as well as the stealing finishers bit. So many great little things throughout, love the Revival so wanted them to retain but it was the right outcome. Mickie looked great and Asuka is the best, very solid match and probably my favorite Asuka match since the Emma match last year. Great stuff from Nakamura and Joe, surprised to see Joe win the title back but dug the finish getting to it. Good stuff.

After watching the match, I don't think I'll be voting against Revival come March. They have had 5 real chances to have to have great matches, and they are 5/5. I'll get people voting AJ over them, but man they are amazing.

Heck, DIY should get tons of love from these matches and there match against each other too.

• Like 1

In order for Joe-Nakamura to be a legit rivalry, Joe has to win, too. 

Tonight was everything that's good about NXT: Lean and mean with no filler, logical booking and good execution for the most part. Including the fact that the only thing they CAN do with Asuka at this point is make her a prick heel taunting lessers-than. 

Also, Roode's choir vs Nakamura's orchestra, Anchorman Street Fight. Book it, Trips. 

Tremendous show. I thought everything clicked up and down the card. Not a weak match.  No questionable booking. That DIY/Revival match is probably my Match of the Year. I watched all the major stuff from Japan and I watched everything out of Battle of Los Angeles, other random indies, I can't think of anything better right now.

It. Was. Amazing.

• Like 6