DVDVR Message Board

NXT TakeOver: Toronto

The Natural

5 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Which is part of the reason I don't take stock in his opinions or snowflakes.  He's not saying it's a fact that a match is *****, it's just his take on it.  If he did state that then I'd rightly say he's full of shit.  But it would be nice if people didn't take a man's opinion as gospel.  I get nothing from his reviews, all I care about is the news and whatever stories break in the newsletter.

This is the important part and probably why some people get mad about his ratings. In a few years people will be online saying that DIY/Revival wasn't that good because Metlzer said the PWG match and what ever else is better. It's ridiculous that people use someone else's opinion to argue with other peoples opinion about pro-wrestling. Which is also why I don't care about what Dave says about matches, I care what I think about matches and thats about it.

• Like 2

And to piggyback off of what Sublime is saying - people will use Meltzer's ratings whenever the try and to apply sabermetric approaches to ranking wrestlers (which is a whole different kettle of fish). That is the only time where my frustration with Dave comes in.

Heck - it isn't even what he rates things (because that is truly subjective) it is WHAT MATCHES HE DOES RATE

He gives ratings to every WWE PPV and New Japan show. Same with PWG (since he attends those). But he will maybe rate two lucha shows a year.

Someone will then in two years go DOLPH ZIGGLER HAD 30 4 STAR PLUS MATCHES THAT MEANS HE IS CLEARLY BETTER THAN RUSH WHO ONLY HAD 3!!!!

• Like 2

I'm sure he thought the PWG match was five stars for what it was, a fantastic spotfest in front of a rabid crowd who loves spotfests.

Like I said, I really enjoyed it, but it's nowhere in my limited-watching top 10, much less one of the top 3 matches of the year.

Meltzer did kinda qualify it on his Twitter, saying the PWG match was great for what it was. He also is strangely high on Seth Rollins, so...

On 11/25/2016 at 4:07 PM, Sublime said:

This is the important part and probably why some people get mad about his ratings. In a few years people will be online saying that DIY/Revival wasn't that good because Metlzer said the PWG match and what ever else is better. It's ridiculous that people use someone else's opinion to argue with other peoples opinion about pro-wrestling. Which is also why I don't care about what Dave says about matches, I care what I think about matches and thats about it.

Honestly, the opinion that I care about when it comes to wrestling is you guys. 

If @RIPPA or @Phil Schneider said a match was good, I'd go out my way to watch. Shit, you guys pimped me to the awesomeness of Magnum TA and Tully Blanchard. All I get from Meltzer is an indy spot fest or some Japanese match where I have to pretty switch what I am used to in terms of psychology to get into the match. 

So I just watched Botchamania 327...

Did DIY/Revival really rip off the finish to The Rhodes/Bennetts intergender tag from TNA a couple months back? Obviously it was executed better in the NXT match, but there's no doubt that's where they got the idea.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2016 at 1:06 PM, Go2Sleep said:

So I just watched Botchamania 327...

Did DIY/Revival really rip off the finish to The Rhodes/Bennetts intergender tag from TNA a couple months back? Obviously it was executed better in the NXT match, but there's no doubt that's where they got the idea.

Holy shit you're right!  I never connected the dots on that until now, and I can't stop laughing knowing this.