DVDVR Message Board

NXT TakeOver: Toronto

The Natural

3 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

I think it was easily the best match on the show, but I am scratching my head at all the MOTD talk for it. I don't think it was even Revival's best match this year (vs. American Alpha at The End).

I'm gonna have to rewatch this. I didn't quite get The Revival when I first saw them, but I'm fully on board the bandwagon now. I can't say the Revival-DIY tag is MOTY, but it's in my top 5. This has really been a crazy fun year of wrestling.

What I liked about this show is it was entertaining from start to finish - the Dusty classic final was worst thing on the show, and it was just fine for what it was. The opener was really fun and the last three matches were really well done.

Joe/Nak definitely seems like a match where they couldn't decide on a finish, but everything else seemed in line with what should've been planned from the outset of each angle. Maybe not the AoP cheating so much, but I can't imagine they were flip flopping between TM61 winning there.

On 11/20/2016 at 2:23 AM, Wyld Samurai said:

I do have a probkem with that Championship  belt spot. Gargano wears shinguards. no way did  he mess his shin up. plus, if he kicked that into Dawson's face (which is why he was bleeding), it would have hurt Dawson a hell of a lot more than a padded Johnny  Wrestling.

It's the same annoying thing as someone hitting Reigns in the back with a chair or in the chest with a kendo stick.

On 11/20/2016 at 2:11 PM, Wyld Samurai said:

If Tye was to ever get a major win - it would  have been last night. I look at that loss as deflating the buildup he had over the summer. 

I almost feel like he has to turn heel now, or else he becomes a more over CJ Parker.

22 minutes ago, Charlie M. said:

Good for him. I don't think he'll get a huge push or anything but you need to reward guys like that for putting in a lot of time helping everyone else out in NXT.

If Dillinger gets called up, I think he's a safe bet for Smackdown.

Better a midcarder on SD than a midcarder on NXT if paychecks are your thing. Tye had years in OVW and other indies, I'm thinking he might not be flush with Heath Slater new pool level money. Good for him if he gets called up.

15 minutes ago, zev said:

Better a midcarder on SD than a midcarder on NXT if paychecks are your thing. Tye had years in OVW and other indies, I'm thinking he might not be flush with Heath Slater new pool level money. Good for him if he gets called up.

Tye could probably afford a Slip 'N Slide right now.

Not sure where all this business is coming from about Roode being a bad worker.  But then again, I've stopped worrying about rating matches on a five star scale ages ago.  I think Roode has definitely upped his game overall in NXT.   Then again, I tuned out of TNA a long time ago before he really picked up as a main event talent.

Color me surprised that Joe won the belt again and first to win the NXT title twice.  Big Joe fan and watched him for years, but I really hope he gets his chance on the main roster at some point.

Ecstatic for Mickie James, and her match with Asuka was great.  I hope with this James can get to work with WWE more, and get to take part in some WWE Network material and get a Hall of Fame induction at some point.  

Dave Meltzer's star ratings:

Roode vs. Dillinger ***3/4

Akam/Rezar vs. Miller/Thorne ***

Gargano/Ciampa vs. Dawson/Wilder ****1/2

Asuka vs. James ***1/2

Joe vs. Nakamura ****1/4

For me, Gargano/Ciampa vs. Dawson/Wilder was a ***** match.

• Like 1

On Wednesday, November 23, 2016 at 2:58 AM, TheVileOne said:

Not sure where all this business is coming from about Roode being a bad worker.  But then again, I've stopped worrying about rating matches on a five star scale ages ago.  I think Roode has definitely upped his game overall in NXT.   Then again, I tuned out of TNA a long time ago before he really picked up as a main event talent.

Roode's been really good in NXT.  He's working like a midcard heel should, by bumping his ass off and avoiding any flashy offense so that the face looks good.

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

For me, Gargano/Ciampa vs. Dawson/Wilder was a ***** match.

It wasn't in Reseda or Tokyo, so it gets the standard 1/2 * deduction from Meltzer.

• Like 1

Internet darling Will Osprey was the third in that march.

That six-man was a ton of fun, especially the ending, but from top to bottom is nowhere near that Revival-DIY match. But Meltzer has admitted that atmosphere is part of his five-star criteria, and he was there live and loves the Bucks.

What I wonder about is Meltzer giving the men's Survivor Series match the same rating. I didn't see it, but to hear you guys talk, it was no classic. And yet, technically, it was tied for best match of the weekend. Meltzer said the tag match was technically better, but still gave it the same rating as the men's SS match.

1 hour ago, jstout said:

I dunno if "bent out of shape" is the proper term. He's just inconsistent.

Which is part of the reason I don't take stock in his opinions or snowflakes.  He's not saying it's a fact that a match is *****, it's just his take on it.  If he did state that then I'd rightly say he's full of shit.  But it would be nice if people didn't take a man's opinion as gospel.  I get nothing from his reviews, all I care about is the news and whatever stories break in the newsletter.