DVDVR Message Board

NXT TakeOver: Toronto

The Natural

Roode and Tye was decent. In general, they're guys with good-to-great entrances whose ring work doesn't do a lot for me. This didn't change my mind on either performer. Crowd was red hot though, which helped. Colour me surprised they didn't announce Roode as being from Toronto, like there was some expectation of the crowd not loving him. Both guys did a poor job of selling fatigue and exhaustion towards the end IMO.

TM61 had a standout night, but this wasn't as good as AoP's last few outings. Passable match and the correct team won.

Tag title match was great. I don't have it as my MOTY, but I wouldn't argue with anyone who does. Revival being discussed as one of the best teams ever is worthy praise. I concur with the person who praised Dash's work to keep up with the always clutch Dawson. These guys need to slaughter Slater and Rhyno ASAP.

Mickie looked phenomenal last night and I wouldn't mind seeing her sign on for one last run. Asuka was her usual untouchable self. Very enjoyable woman's title match.

Joe vs Nak was better than Brooklyn. Not sure about the winner, but I'm open to seeing where we go from here. 

Very good top-to-bottom show. 

At first I thought - like many - that "Whelp - Nakamura is getting called up"

But then I was reminded - with all the Joe/Nakamura cage matches on the international tour (including one in Japan) - they are going to flip the title during that tour (heck maybe twice so Joe is champion since TV will be taped before the trip)

I think Roode and Tye both got exposed as guys that there's no next step with, and WWE is going to have to think hard about what to do with them going forward, because they're too over to ignore but neither of them can put on the kind of main event matches in line with the NXT brand.  Probably best to call them up to the main roster and let them sink or swim.

I imagine Tye's schtick would settle in nicely at the Breezango/Golden Truth level, but I don't know about Roode.  He has to be taken seriously for his act to work, and his style doesn't really align with the current go-go-go style of the main roster uppercard.  I think a serious Roode push would start getting go away heat in a hurry.

Serious Roode's singles run in TNA killed me. Putting too much of that on TV again might just make me long to watch more of Seth Rollins' title run (maybe...). 

Is it too late to lock in James Storm? Alternatively, I'll gladly watch as much Bobby Roode as they can throw at me if they spice it up with Joker Sting. 

I can totally see Tye's ''10'' catching fire on the main shows, even when he's not around (or even called up to main roster). The constant 10 chants during the refs counts were pretty funny. 

Tag match was aces, not much left to be said really. If that piece of shit BOLA 6 man got the coveted 5 snowflakes from Dave then Revival/DIY deserves at least 10. 

• Like 1

Bobby Roode rules. I love his over-the-top pompous attitude. Dude wears a bedazzled robe in 2016. Doesn't get better than that.

The match versus Tye was really good. Great opening match. Tye is a great underdog. I hope he gets an upset win over Joe.

Joe rules. Great surly bastard. I liked the end of that match a ton. Joe's willingness to take shortcuts  got him the win. Loved the callback to the steps. 

Anyone else having diminishing returns with Nak? The Sami match was awesome but since then he has gotten progressively less interesting. Great entrance and presentation but then once he gets in the ring it is sorta just there for me. 

Asuka vs. Mickie was okay. Nothing that great. I have zero memory of Mickie. 

TM-61 vs. AOP was solid. Loved how TM just went after anything they could to get AOP. And AOP needing Ellering's direction when they were on the ropes. But AOP are just a force of nature and justly won the tournament. They are awesome to watch. I very much need a bunch of big foreign dudes screaming gibberish in my life.

But The Revival vs. DIY was all we'll remember from this, and deservedly so. Maybe they will get a rematch to headline the next Takeover like Sasha/Bayley. Would love to see a tag team Ironman for 60 minutes. 

56 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

There need to be quotes around "Singers" and "Violinists" from last night

Those "violinists" were aggressive, man.

Also, lump me in with the camp who Roode does nothing for. It's too late to abandon the song though, so I propose it becomes the WWE/NXT anthem. Like, instead of the national anthem or America the beautiful, just have a choir come out and sing Glorious at the top of every show.

46 minutes ago, Pete said:

I'd totally forgotten Tye was Shawn Spears. Yowza. 

I still wish they'd have let him and Cody Rhodes revive their OVW tag team.

Unrelated to that, I still can't hear Mickie James WWE theme music without thinking of Patti Pizzazz from WOW.

14 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I do have a problem with that Championship  belt spot. Gargano wears shinguards. no way did  he mess his shin up.

I agree, that was the one blemish on an otherwise amazing match. If they were going to do that spot, wish they would have used the ring bell as the foreign object instead of the tag belt.

2 hours ago, Greggulator said:

Anyone else having diminishing returns with Nak? The Sami match was awesome but since then he has gotten progressively less interesting. Great entrance and presentation but then once he gets in the ring it is sorta just there for me. 

Yes, and I'll go one step further and say that his entrance is just making me cringe now. In a promotion full of moment-for-moment rehearsed entrances, his somehow feels especially contrived--probably because his persona just wasn't built for that sort of thing. It makes him come off less like a genuine eccentric and more like a normal dude who wears a costume and plays a "totally random" character. It bleeds over into his ring work, too.

Am I the only one who thought the tag match tried to fit way too much in and felt a bit rushed? Lots of running from spot to spot where sometimes it felt a little contrived. And there were times I felt like things needed to breathe more. Still a great match but I think I preferred the main event and Zayn/Nakamura is still head and shoulders above everything else I've seen. Joe and Nakamura brought the intensity that was lacking so badly from the first match. Great show though and a return to for Takeover. 

Bobby Roode's TNA title run/A Double feud is basically the last time I cared about TNA on screen.

That tag match.. Jesus fuck what a match. The Revival is the best thing going in pro wres right now, man.