DVDVR Message Board

THE 2016 NLCS: LOS ANGELES @ CHICAGO

Dolfan in NYC

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

Jason Heyward is fucking horrible. The entire team, except for Bryant and Baez, are playing like shit, but Heyward's at bat was emblematic of his entire season at the plate. A bunch of what the fuck, what are you doing, and you are so disappointing

Geez Craig, even my criticisms of Heyward haven't been this harsh :)

On Sunday, October 16, 2016 at 1:40 AM, piranesi said:

Guys, I don't want to go overboard too early in the season here or anything but I'm starting to think the Cubs might be pretty good this year.

I see what you did here. It seems to be working lol

Obviously, I'm feeling good about the direction this series has taken so far, but I know that if the bats wake up, it's going to be a tough row to hoe to get 2 more wins.

I would imagine that it can't possibly be the LHP factor, since CHC was better against LHP in AVG, OBP, and SLG this year, but it's hard to think that every single bat on the club save Baez and Bryant has just gone stone cold, but it seems like that's exactly what is happening. Weird fucking game, this baseball. Even Baez and Bryant aren't really getting productive hits, as they each have only driven in 1 apiece, but they are hitting.

I'm pretty tuned up to see what kind of start Urias has today. I know lots of folks were questioning the decision to throw him to CHC, NYM and SFG right when he was promoted, but as it turned out that he might have faced any of the three in the playoffs, it kind of appears like the FO was rather forward thinking in pushing him in against those teams, as opposed to easing him in against tomato cans, like when you develop a boxer.

• Like 1

Dodgers got hosed on a replay. Not sure how the replay guys could look at the multiple closeups shown and not overturn the call. Cost LA a run. No excuse for that in a crucial game like this. 

They'll get cocky and fill the starting lineup with relievers and starting pitchers for the next game to rest their bats for the middle of the game. It's what I'd do just for the hell of it. Shockingly, I am not employed in baseball.

Man oh man, what a fucking asskicking my boys took last night. Urias looked good until he didn't anymore, and Zobrist laid down a motherfucker of a bunt to get that rally started.

I think LAD got fucked on that play on Gonzalez, but who knows if it changes anything. Urias probably ends the inning coming to the dish next, but you never know. Toles didn't do the team any favors in the 4th with the throwing error, and I can't fault him for going all out to try to make a play on the dying quail Fowler hit. Shoddy defense made that lead far more insurmountable than it should have been. 4 E's don't win you ballgames, that's for sure.

Best of three now, I'd love to see them take a lead back to Chicago and make the Cubs go through both Kershaw and Hill to have to win it.

36 minutes ago, Cristobal said:

When the producers are putting up a timer to time how long you're taking between pitches, they hate your fucking guts.

When the announcer on ESPN Radio essentially points out that how long you're taking between pitches is bad for future generations of baseball fans, he probably doesn't like you either.

That top of the 8th inning was horrendous. Every time Baez pitches it's like that, but that was the worst. He has to know that is just hurting his team, namely the guys behind him. THROW THE BALL YOU FAT FUCK. I swear, it feels like that 8th inning is still going and Baez is still up there pondering life's mysteries.

Anyway...looks like I'm headed to Chicago on Saturday.

By the way, Joe Buck is the worst. There's an excerpt in his book where he talked about learning a valuable lesson about being quiet while calling games. He never shut up at all tonight, so I'm not sure what lesson was learned.

And if anyone caught it, Smoltz sounded like he got really annoyed. Buck started going on again about Lester not throwing over, and Smoltz blurts out, "we're talking about this again?!" There was a brief pause after that, and then uninterrupted, Buck continues to drone on and on about Lester not throwing over.

The rap on Baez is that apparently he was told to "slow the game down" and he misunderstood the meaning of the phrase. I'm not sure if it's true, but Rick Monday has brought it up on a few occasions on radio broadcasts.  He has never been a terribly fast worker, but there was a point in time this year where he wasn't quite so bad. Baez on the hill and runners on is fucking maddening.

I can't quite put my finger on it, but I am super conflicted about this series. Going on the road down 3-2 should bum me out, but I am feeling pretty upbeat about tomorrow night. I dig that Hendricks is a tall order, but they beat him in game 2, so why not do it again in game 6?

Any way it ends up shaking out, I love the way this team has played to get them to this point, so I will take whatever outcome lands in their laps. It looked pretty goddamn dire in the NLDS, and that worked out alright, so I am Paulie Positivity from here on out.

Lester had a really great showing, but I think the best part of it was him skipping the ball like a rock to ensure he could get the ball over to 1st to finish off the 2nd. Buck said he was staring into the Dodger dugout like he was trying to be intimidating, but I just don't get a scary vibe off a bounce pass. Good work all the way around for CHC.