DVDVR Message Board

Hell In A Cell VIII

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, JonnyLaw said:

I was half-awake watching it, but didn't Rusev let go of the chain-assisted accolade and switch to a regular one right before Reigns powered out?

Yeah, he dropped it and put Roman in a sleeper and that's what he powered out of.

So, this is a peeve, but the whole "the move is worse on the steps" thing is really dumb for the Accolade/camel clutch. That move is about bending someone backwards. Doing it on the steps just means that their legs can be lowered, i.e. it's less of a bend on the spine.

• Like 1

Yeah I was complaining about that last night, I hate how Cole trys to put over everything as being more devastating because its done on something sure its true about slammy things but unless the object is helping  with the leverage its dumb to say about submissions. It's the same with if Jericho does the Walls on the announce table. if anything it's hindering his balance and ability to properly sit into the move. Soooo dumb but its wrestling logic, like how sitting out makes everything twice as impactful  

4 hours ago, Beech27 said:

She's also the only top face on Raw that doesn't see their opponent cheered over them. Like, I get it. Her heel NXT work was better, and the cut-and-paste "I've been a fan forever, it's a revolution" promos are cringeworthy--but reactions have to count for something, and hers are consistently good. 

I'll be honest, Sasha's always been underwhelming to me, she always seemed like a medium-sized fish in a small pond in NXT, where her in-ring work more about moments and her opponent rather than her.

4 hours ago, Brysynner said:

I think Charlotte getting the belt constantly is more about the fact that Sasha has underwhelmed as champion and Charlotte is steady enough to hold the title until they can build up Bayley or Dana Brooke while Sasha figures out how to be an effective babyface on the main roster.

Sasha is way over despite her start and stop pushes. It's not like she's TJ Perkins.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Brysynner said:

I'll be honest, Sasha's always been underwhelming to me, she always seemed like a medium-sized fish in a small pond in NXT, where her in-ring work more about moments and her opponent rather than her.

I get that. But even her most noteworthy opponents--Charlotte, Bayley, and Becky--all had their best matches against her; and I don't think any of them have come very close to matching that work against others. She's the common denominator in a majority of the high-level women's matches WWE/NXT has produced over the last couple of years. I don't think that can be an accident.  

• Like 2

Vince needs to realize that shit that worked for one guy doesn't automatically make sense for another.   Roman on promos is not The Rock.  Roman in the ring is not Hogan. This isn't the 80s. This isn't The Attitude Era.  The crowd doesn't want to see Rock-like promos unless it's from The Rock. The crowd doesn't want to see babyface overcome ridiculous odds all the time. It works once in a while but again, a chain-assisted accolade..   no. Nobody should be powering out of that because the only way you can UP the violence from that spot is to shoot him in the face.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Beech27 said:

I get that. But even her most noteworthy opponents--Charlotte, Bayley, and Becky--all had their best matches against her; and I don't think any of them have come very close to matching that work against others. She's the common denominator in a majority of the high-level women's matches WWE/NXT has produced over the last couple of years. I don't think that can be an accident.  

I disagree. I think Bayley's matches with Asuka were better than Sasha/Bayley. I think Charlotte's matches with Becky earlier this year were better than Sasha/Becky at Takeover.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Meltzer said today the original finish was supposed to be Sasha going over, but Vince changed his mind yesterday afternoon. 

Why do you have me on ignore?

17 minutes ago, Brysynner said:

I disagree. I think Bayley's matches with Asuka were better than Sasha/Bayley. I think Charlotte's matches with Becky earlier this year were better than Sasha/Becky at Takeover.

Well, I suppose it's natural we'd reach different conclusions starting from such disparate assumptions. I thought the former were ok, if a bit disappointing, and the latter mostly bad. But fair enough.

14 minutes ago, Brysynner said:

I don't agree, but I can see the argument for the Bayley/Auska matches.

I... can't see the argument for the Charlotte/Becky matches. But, then, outside the Sasha match, I've never found Becky to be more than "pretty good"

5 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

There were Becky and Charlotte matches this year? That's how unmemorable they must have been I don't remember this happening at all.  There's the triple threat at Mania yes but other than that..

There's a really good one from Smackdown in January. I think they get slept on because people were generally down on the handling of the women and the push of Charlotte at the time. But Becky vs Charlotte is really what got the division moving in the right direction.

Yikes this show.

Roman vs. Rusev was...fine. At least five if not ten minutes too long and would have worked as well or better without the cell but mostly Roman does a good version of the spotty PG Cell match. what a Burial of Rusev though. At least 3-5 solid finishes kicked out of or survived, doesn't get to kick out of much...the Spear at the end was awesome and nasty looking but just yikes.

Incidentally, this match made me consider why most modern Cell  matches feel so meh and mostly it's that they're designed for nasty escalated brawling. Attitude Era guys know the style and can rule it, but that hasn't been the thing for a while and a lot of workers now can't shift gears super well so the cage rarely gets used and the hate doesn't super come and it turns into a confined street fight.

Bayley vs. Dana was a match. Solid enough six or seven minute squash for Bayley. Not as good as a lot of what she did in NXT or really worth the angle but I didn't hate it or anything.

Club vs. Enzo/Cass was also good but pedestrian. The Club just aren't really working on their own and functioned better as AJ's backup even if he's better without them. Enzo and Cass are just dead in the water. No one really gained anything here.

God. Rollins sucks so badly and brings out all of Owens worst tendancies. Just a ten minute too long garbage spotfest. I liked a lot of the start with some solid hate and Owens working the back. I also thought some of the big spots were great. Seth being tossed through the ropes with force enoughto hit the cage? the Powerbomb through the crazy table stack? The finish with the Powerbomb through the unfolded chairs? All great. Loved Jericho dashing into the open cage too but there was too long between that and the finish and again just too long a match. At 15 minutes this could have been concise and hate filled enough while hitting those cool big spots and I might have liked it. At 25 minutes it just fucking blew.

CW Title was good not great and I can't elp but keep thinking everything about the division would be better on SD. Still easily MOTN by this point even if Perkins has basically died on top. Finish was great. Love the shooty headbutt rather than a cradle or anything though I really want Kendrick to try that with someone else down the line and they just let the ref call it before checking on him.

Tag Titles started fun but got REALLY hot by the end. I bit on some of those nearfalls and while the ending is frustrating, it fits the Sheamus/Cesaro thing well while keeping them strong for a rematch and having the New Day beat a record for a different set of tag titles for some reason.

Main event was great. I loved the brawling to start and the spot where Sasha gets knocked under the cage as it's lowering to set up that brawl was awesome. Powerbomb looked SICK but the Foley callback was unnecessary and overlong at least and kinda gross at worst with the crying sell and etc. Getting real sick of them selling real injuries as shoots to abuse my concern for the workers as people. Anyway.

This was the only Cell match to fill 20+ minutes well and really sell me on the hate. Some great, inventive spots that didn't feel contrived like the wall jump knees. Really felt nasty along the way and furthered their multimatch story of Sasha being better at everything but Charlotte being a bit nastier and resourceful enough to keep in it. Finish and result were straight garbage, especially after that awful angle at the start which is frustrating because it's a historic match on two levels, it was a great match, and yet I still left it feeling pissed off and unsatisfied.

Which kinda sums up this whole show really. A lot of shit that's got a lot of redeeming qualities but sucked on the whole. How is this the same company that does so much more with way less on SD? Just ridiculous.

In Case Anyone Cared

Charlotte's PPV Record

Battleground 2015 - vs. Brie Bella vs. Sasha Banks (W)

Summerslam 2015 - w/ Paige/Becky vs. Bellas/Alicia vs. Team BAD (W)

Night of Champions 2015 - vs. Nikki Bella (W - Wins Diva's Title)

Hell in a Cell 2015 - vs. Nikki Bella (W)

Survivor Series 2015 - vs. Paige (W)

TLC 2015 - vs. Paige (W)

Royal Rumble 2016 - vs. Becky Lynch (W)

Fastlane 2016 - vs. Brie Bella (W)

Roadblock 2016 - vs. Natalya (W)

WrestleMania 32 - vs. Sasha Banks vs. Becky Lynch (W - Title becomes Women's Title)

Payback 2016 - vs. Natalya (W)

Extreme Rules 2016 - vs. Natalya (W)

MITB 2016 - w/ Dana Brooke vs. Becky/Nattie (W)

Battleground 2016 - w/ Dana Brooke vs. Bayley/Sasha Banks (L)

Summerslam 2016 - vs. Sasha Banks (W - wins Title)

Clash of Champions 2016 - v. Sasha vs. Bayley (W)

HIAC 2016 - vs. Sasha Banks (W)

So yeah... totally ignore that bolded one. And remember - Charlotte was the one who tapped in that match so they can't claim she never lost a fall.

22 minutes ago, goc said:

They can claim she's never lost a title match on PPV meaning she's someone who always delivers when the bright lights are on and it matters most. Fairly simple really.

Agreed but that's not what they are doing.  The are saying she is undefeated period. In fact, at one point Coke said she was 16-0

The easier fix is just to say she is undefeated as a single

I enjoyed the show (hey, I'd been at Lucha Underground that day AND came home to fire up my DVR to the Saints beating the Seahawks, so I was in high spirits), but there's no defending that garbage with Roman powering out of the chain accolade. Everyone here saying bad things about it is right, and everyone saying different is wrong. I just rolled my eyes and went upstairs to fold laundry for a little while after I saw that.

I still love the New Day, and am not sure if anyone sees them stale or weak outside of these parts. Those Halloween shirts were fire.

The main was good, but damn was that ending a dud. I even had Charlotte winning, and don't mind her as champ since she's such a good heel, but that was such an awful ending.