DVDVR Message Board

2016-17 NHL - Period 1

Dolfan in NYC

Good Lord, the Red Wings offense is terrible. They've got a guy playing elite-level goalie (Jimmy Howard) and still can't win. They're rolling out the corpse of Henrik Zetterberg for top minutes every night. They're giving power play minutes to a guy (Riley Sheahan) who has ZERO goals this year. Their young guns like Nyquist and Tatar have turned into empty water pistols. Their actual top young guys - Larkin, Mantha, and Athanasiou - seem to be on arbitrarily short leashes with no ties to actual performance. They refuse to shoot the puck unless they can wait long enough to let a defender block it.  It's truly painful to watch. 

And Jeff Blashill seems over his head, which surprises the heck out of me. 

Kiss that playoff streak goodbye, folks. 

Sabres win in ooooooooooovertime over the dumpster fire known as the NY Islanders. How bad is it in Brooklyn? The team released ST pricing for next year and just about every price went down significantly. Seats on the glass are now $80 a game and just about every seat in the upper level is <$30 and most are $22. I honestly don't see them playing at Barclays in 5 years because Barclays are paying the team a flat $50 million and keep all ticket revenue as part of the agreement. Needless to say the ticket revenue is significantly below that.

Sabres and Canes combine to produce the most awful unwatchable game played in the NHL this season. The Barclays level ice conditions certainly didn't help. RJ wasn't doing the call so it was even worse to watch.

This season is strange. Halfway through and you've got the Columbus deal now at 10 wins in a row along with Cam Atkinson among the top 10 in league scoring with 33 points in 30 games (Toews has 14 in 26 btw), Detroit only has one more point than Vancouver, Islanders are dog shit, Nashville is struggling, Dallas is even worse off, and best (worst) of all: over 90% of the league are within 12 points of each other. If that last point isn't the strongest indictment of the loser point and the reason the league should give 3 points for winning in regulation, I don't even know. Such a poorly run league but at least the boom in high end talent the past few years makes me hope for a brighter future. Maybe if Vancouver could get one of them fancy players, it would help sway my opinion!

P.S. How is Jim Benning still employed? He was hired on the pretense of retooling on the fly, getting younger while remaining competitive. After fluking out in year 1, it's been a 28th overall finish and the team looks even worse this year than last. Even his vaunted drafting ability hasn't really shone yet, and Virtanen has all the makings of being a bust and really would surprise to even become an NHL regular at this point. Glancing at stats at players drafted after him, every single one of them including a defenceman, has put up better numbers so far. Pastrnak was drafted after McCann too. The Boesser pick may be nice but Konecny was drafted immediately after him and other players in that range are doing well too, so it was hard to miss. 

Red Wings, coming off a fluke 6 goals on Saturday, and a cancelation Monday, put up one of the worst performances you'll see against Tampa. Basically a 4-0 (Detroit scored with 10 sec left) loss that they were never in. So much "talent" that just disappears for entire games. They are tough to watch right now. 

Are there any forwards in the league that have played every game, taken a regular shift, and have no goals besides Riley Sheahan? If that ain't a commentary on the Wings' roster... 

I'm very happy with the effort the Canes have given lately, especially at home where they are 9-0-1 in their last ten.  I believe they could make the playoffs if they were in any division other than the Metro.  Finally, if you haven't heard of Jaccob Slavin or Brett Pesce, you will soon.

• Like 1

Dirty filthy pile of shit who belongs in the FHL Tom Wilson sends John Moore out on a stretcher with a textbook " this is EXACTLY the kind of hit that needs to be eliminated from the league" boarding and the incompetent refs don't even give him a minor. I guess someone is going to have to die on the ice before the league does something about this shit and human garbage like Wilson.

9 hours ago, sabremike said:

Dirty filthy pile of shit who belongs in the FHL Tom Wilson sends John Moore out on a stretcher with a textbook " this is EXACTLY the kind of hit that needs to be eliminated from the league" boarding and the incompetent refs don't even give him a minor. I guess someone is going to have to die on the ice before the league does something about this shit and human garbage like Wilson.

Yeah, that was bad. Saw the guy's numbers the whole way, took multiple strides, and hit him anyway. The only saving grace is that Moore was close to the boards of it could have been a lot worse.