DVDVR Message Board

2016-17 NHL - Period 1

Dolfan in NYC

30 minutes ago, Buy Me a Burrito said:

I still can't believe Ronnie brought back the corpse of Cam Ward. If they wanted to pretend it's still 2006 they may as well found a way to acquire Ryan Miller from Vancouver.

5 hours ago, sabremike said:

I still can't believe Ronnie brought back the corpse of Cam Ward. If they wanted to pretend it's still 2006 they may as well found a way to acquire Ryan Miller from Vancouver.

It's been the one shitty move he's made.  Lack isn't all that, but Ward's numbers suggest that he's an AHL-level goalie. 

I just saw the stupidest piece of clickbait on Yahoo on hockey. Some guy notes the Sens only got 10,000 for the game vs the Yotes and mocks the idea of more Canadian teams in the NHL. Never mind that the team is terrible, the owner is a human abortion who has driven fans away in droves, and the arena is 30 miles outside of Ottawa in literally the middle of fucking nowhere. I mean the RedBlacks have never failed to sell out a game in their history so Ottawa can certainly support a team. I'd be willing to wager Quebec City could support a team, along with another team in the GTA.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sabremike said:

I just saw the stupidest piece of clickbait on Yahoo on hockey. Some guy notes the Sens only got 10,000 for the game vs the Yotes and mocks the idea of more Canadian teams in the NHL. Never mind that the team is terrible, the owner is a human abortion who has driven fans away in droves, and the arena is 30 miles outside of Ottawa in literally the middle of fucking nowhere. I mean the RedBlacks have never failed to sell out a game in their history so Ottawa can certainly support a team. I'd be willing to wager Quebec City could support a team, along with another team in the GTA.

Yes but theres a certain arrogance from fans/media that teams in Canada cant fail.  Ottawa has almost failed a couple of times.  When they were selling out it didnt matter that the arena was out of town, meanwhile the Coyotes moved from downtown Phoenix to the burbs away from their fanbase now the talk is of moving them again the other way to Tempe.  Plus they have had shitty ownership and a bunch of shitty hockey, and the fact that Phoenix wasn't even the first choice of where they wanted the relocated Winnioeg Jets to play but thats different.  Besides most of the people in Ottawa work for the government and they like freebies.  Doesnt matter what the RedBlacks are doing considering the Renegades and Rough Riders folded.  helps now that the CFL TV deal covers all the payroll.  If another team was to go into Canada it would be the GTA but the power of MLSE will never let that happen and municipal greed kept the Mario Lemieux Penguins from moving to Hamilton. Quebec City maybe one day but they will always be in a dangerous situation if the currency craters again.  

If you missed it the other night , Jimmy Howard flat STOLE a game for the Wings at MSG. Faced a ton of breakaways , including a 2-on-0 where both guys got shots and stood tall . Seriously just an amazing performance . 

8 hours ago, sabremike said:

Hamilton was blocked by both the Sabres and Leafs. Of course everyone just blamed us and ignored the Leafs' role in blocking it.

The Penguins had a buyer, Michael Cohl and Bill Ballard.  Bill asked his Dad if they could move them to Hamilton and he agreed in exchange for upgrades to the football stadium since he owned the TiCats at that time and $1.  Hamilton agreed but then demanded too much of a revenue cut from the potential hockey team and the sale died.  Buffalo was never considered at that time during the John Ziegler era.  

9 hours ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

The Penguins had a buyer, Michael Cohl and Bill Ballard.  Bill asked his Dad if they could move them to Hamilton and he agreed in exchange for upgrades to the football stadium since he owned the TiCats at that time and $1.  Hamilton agreed but then demanded too much of a revenue cut from the potential hockey team and the sale died.  Buffalo was never considered at that time during the John Ziegler era.  

OK was unaware of that one. I know there have been many other attempts to get an NHL team and both the Leafs and Sabres have opposed them, and we are the ones everyone in the Hamilton area directs their ire at. The site of Copps Colosseum was actually chosen because it is more than 50 miles from both Toronto and Buffalo and thus out of their territories. That's why it's in such an awful location.

Whomever came up with the idea to put the portrait of the queen on the jumbotron at the outdoor game in Winnipeg deserves a bonus. Come on MTS Centre, BRING BACK LIZ!!!

Old timers game was a lot of fun. It was in slow motion and everyone looked gassed by the 2nd, but it was still cool to see. 6-5 is the perfect score for an old Oilers/Jets game. Plus, Mike Eagles was always one of my under the radar favourites, so it was awesome they brought him back.

The ice surface at Barclays is an embarrassment at this point. Every game ends up as complete shit with both teams looking like they are from a rec league. This is all because the building was too cheap to put in metal cooling pipes for the rink. They could've done the work this summer by shutting the building down for a month but they didn't want to lose concert and event dates. The NHL should tell them in no uncertain terms to either get their shit together or the team goes (preferably back to the refurbished Colliseum). As for tonight if you are stupid enough to allow Shea Webber to get a wide open shot on a PK you deserve to lose.