DVDVR Message Board

2016-17 NHL - Period 1

Dolfan in NYC

So they are saying Eichel will be out a few weeks. Considering how horrific the video looked this is a best case scenario for sure. Hope the good Reinhart (not the shitty one in Bakersfield) can pick up the slack.

15 hours ago, Oyaji said:

This one example doesn't mean hockey in Phoenix or Glendale works though. Their team still has the shits in terms of support and the ownership has changed hands yet again. Only Carolina (another sun belt team) had fewer people show up to games last season and their cheapest seats are $25 this season. While, yes, it's ironic Matthews grew up a fan of the Coyotes, a team many Leafs/Canadian fans believe never should have been, and now he's their savior, hockey along the southern States is still a mixed bag and mostly negative. There's no need to repeat that condescending remark every time he does something. Maybe Canadians wouldn't care about Arizona having a team if we'd have more Canadian teams too, but look how hard it was for Winnipeg to get a team back. And now Quebec City has a fantastic new arena and the demand but we can't have that or else the league would be out of alignment in terms of the conferences and the weak Canadian dollar. Even with the weak dollar up here and all of our teams being in the dumpster competitively, the Jets have the lowest value among Canadian teams but they're still 20th. The bottom six are Florida, Arizona, Carolina, Columbus, Nashville and Tampa Bay (and think of their current successes!). I think that explains at least some of the resentment those organizations receive up here. No doubt Las Vegas will be joining them in another year. 

Edit: Never mind that shyit! The Leafs lose despite the heroics. Vancouver would very much like it if the Leafs were somewhat competitive and just missed out on the playoffs this year. We need all the help we can get in this unintentional intentional tank.

WAHHHHHHHH!!!!!

If Quebec City's ownership group found a partner they would have a team but they could not afford the expansion fee.  No crying there.  They were looking for a partner and nobody in Canada stepped up to the plate.

How were the playoffs last year?  

For all of your whining the teams in the Southwest are doing just find buildin youth hockey programs to grow the sport.  The Kings and Ducks sponsor high school teams across Southern California and over 7,000 kids are signed up for youth hockey programs in Arizona.  Keep hatin because the sport is stagnating in Canada and if you want to grow the sport you have to move to new areas.

Keep crying and keep hating.

• Like 1

More condescending tripe from evilwaldo? No way!

Quebec City has Quebecor backing them and they submitted an expansion bid. The league turned it down due to the geographical BS reason (move Detroit or Columbus back to the west?) in addition to the poor loonie. Forbes' list of NHL franchise valuations shows that to be nonsense, as I previously asserted. The NHL altered their entire business model to save failing southern teams from collapse, and all but a few are still in the shitter despite this.

Just because a place has a burgeoning youth system doesn't mean it's an ideal or even suitable location for a pro team. Canada is starting to develop some great basketball and baseball players. Should Moncton have an NBA team? Why doesn't Nova Scotia have their own NHL team?! They produced the best player of this generation and some other great stars! Soccer is the #1 youth sport in Canada but the pro game is doing only okay here. That's such a ridiculous leap to justify shitty sun belt franchises that shouldn't have ever been there in the first place.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Death From Above said:

My God, we are pretty much guaranteed years of McDavid and friends vs. Gaudreau and friends. I know last night's game was a sloppy defensive mess, what with the long ceremony and it being opening night, but that was fun hockey.

Despite not liking any of the 4 teams involved, those two games last night were must-watch television.

32 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Quebec City has Quebecor backing them and they submitted an expansion bid. The league turned it down due to the geographical BS reason (move Detroit or Columbus back to the west?) in addition to the poor loonie. Forbes' list of NHL franchise valuations shows that to be nonsense, as I previously asserted. The NHL altered their entire business model to save failing southern teams from collapse, and all but a few are still in the shitter despite this.

Just because a place has a burgeoning youth system doesn't mean it's an ideal or even suitable location for a pro team. Canada is starting to develop some great basketball and baseball players. Should Moncton have an NBA team? Why doesn't Nova Scotia have their own NHL team?! They produced the best player of this generation and some other great stars! Soccer is the #1 youth sport in Canada but the pro game is doing only okay here. That's such a ridiculous leap to justify shitty sun belt franchises that shouldn't have ever been there in the first place.

More than 67% of the television revenue comes from the country that has less than 25% of the teams. Who says America doesn't like welfare? :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

100% wrong.  Check Quebecor's financial statements.  They did not have enough money to pay for a team.  They tried looking for a partner but nobody stepped up to the plate.  That was the reason.  None of the conspiratorial garbage you posted.  

The bid was not turned down; it was deferred.  Let me explain what that means.  If Quebecor can find a partner and come up with the expansion fee their application will be approved.  It is not rejected.  They do not have a partner so they pulled back.

Keep crying and hating.

http://www.tsn.ca/quebecor-looking-for-partners-in-nhl-bid-1.338583

Quebecor's financial statements.

http://www.google.ca/finance?fstype=ii&q=TSE:QBR.B

The irony in what you posted is that Quebecor will probably end up buying one of the distressed Sun Belt/non traditional market teams and move them ala the Atlanta Thrashers.

1 hour ago, Death From Above said:

My God, we are pretty much guaranteed years of McDavid and friends vs. Gaudreau and friends. I know last night's game was a sloppy defensive mess, what with the long ceremony and it being opening night, but that was fun hockey.

Man, I was so hoping Calgary would come in and just obliterate stupid Edmonton and their stupid ceremony and their stupid new arena and their stupid McDavid.

Didn't quite work out that way, obviously.

But yeah, I totally agree with where you're coming from. It's looking like we might have a real, meaningful Battle of Alberta this season, and certainly for many years moving forward. As much as I enjoy seeing Edmonton getting kicked when they're down, a strong rivalry is way preferable to watching a mediocre team beating up on a stupendously bad one, as Calgary/Edmonton games have been for most of the last decade.

You can't read too much into one game, obviously, but I was impressed with the Oilers last night. I'm pretty sure that, as recently as last year, they would have folded like a cheap tent after those two short-handed goals, and the game would have ended in a blow-out. But last night they hung in there and pushed right back. I'm already sick of hearing about McDavid this season, but that guy's the real deal (not that that's news to anyone).

3 hours ago, evilwaldo said:

100% wrong.  Check Quebecor's financial statements.  They did not have enough money to pay for a team.  They tried looking for a partner but nobody stepped up to the plate.  That was the reason.  None of the conspiratorial garbage you posted.  

The bid was not turned down; it was deferred.  Let me explain what that means.  If Quebecor can find a partner and come up with the expansion fee their application will be approved.  It is not rejected.  They do not have a partner so they pulled back.

Keep crying and hating.

http://www.tsn.ca/quebecor-looking-for-partners-in-nhl-bid-1.338583

Quebecor's financial statements.

http://www.google.ca/finance?fstype=ii&q=TSE:QBR.B

What are you talking about? Conspiratorial garbage? Those were the two reasons Bettman gave after Quebec City's bid got to the third and final round of scrutiny. They submitted a bid, just as Las Vegas' ownership group did. You can watch the fucking words come from his mouth.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Oyaji said:

What are you talking about? Conspiratorial garbage? Those were the two reasons Bettman gave after Quebec City's bid got to the third and final round of scrutiny. They submitted a bid, just as Las Vegas' ownership group did. You can watch the fucking words come from his mouth.

What you posted was the same conspiratorial garbage which has been regurgitated over and over again.  I can tell you never clicked my links.

22 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

It won't last but Laine with a goal and an assist to continue the opening week Kid's Takeover theme. What a time.

And the Jets actually won (after looking like hot garbage through 2 periods), so take that Leaves.

• Like 1

It's it possible for a goals to play great and still give up 5?  That's what Mrazek did for Detroit. Made a bunch of incredible saves, one softie, two off deflections, and two that went in off the crossbar. Bummer to watch Detroit blow the lead but nice to see some offense. 

Interesting to see Steven Stamkos be 3rd man into a fight and not even get a penalty let alone ejected. Of course on that same fight, Jonathan Ericsson broke his stick in half with a crosscheck that wasn't penalized... 

On a side note: a big f-u to the folks behind the NHL.TV app. They updated it and wiped out my credentials and preferences. So I sign in to watch the Wings game and first thing it does is show me the final score. Awesome. 

7 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

The Oilers have played 2 games and my hopes and dreams for the future have not died, by the standards of the last decade I am declaring 2016/17 a TRIUMPH and moving on to next season.

I am going to credit the introduction of Hunter for your good fortune. Okay, maybe that McDavid guy deserves some credit as well.

I really didn't think the Isles would win in OT because Josh Bailey was possessed by the spirit of Bobby Orr. Seriously that was an amazing highlight reel goal.

Also I think Matt Moulson scoring in both of our games so far is a sign of the apocalypse. Sorry DFA you can only play Calgary so many times, although tonight Rodgers Place lived up to it's emerging rep as a scorer's rink.