DVDVR Message Board

2016-17 NHL - Period 1

Dolfan in NYC

Will Canada field a playoff team?  Probably not!

Will the Panthers fall apart under the weight of expectations?  Probably!

Will @RIPPA angrily misspell Zibanejad in anger at various points? Definitely!  

Welcome back Hockey Night in North America!

This one example doesn't mean hockey in Phoenix or Glendale works though. Their team still has the shits in terms of support and the ownership has changed hands yet again. Only Carolina (another sun belt team) had fewer people show up to games last season and their cheapest seats are $25 this season. While, yes, it's ironic Matthews grew up a fan of the Coyotes, a team many Leafs/Canadian fans believe never should have been, and now he's their savior, hockey along the southern States is still a mixed bag and mostly negative. There's no need to repeat that condescending remark every time he does something. Maybe Canadians wouldn't care about Arizona having a team if we'd have more Canadian teams too, but look how hard it was for Winnipeg to get a team back. And now Quebec City has a fantastic new arena and the demand but we can't have that or else the league would be out of alignment in terms of the conferences and the weak Canadian dollar. Even with the weak dollar up here and all of our teams being in the dumpster competitively, the Jets have the lowest value among Canadian teams but they're still 20th. The bottom six are Florida, Arizona, Carolina, Columbus, Nashville and Tampa Bay (and think of their current successes!). I think that explains at least some of the resentment those organizations receive up here. No doubt Las Vegas will be joining them in another year. 

Edit: Never mind that shyit! The Leafs lose despite the heroics. Vancouver would very much like it if the Leafs were somewhat competitive and just missed out on the playoffs this year. We need all the help we can get in this unintentional intentional tank.

• Like 1

We were doing our hokcey draft at a local bar last night, while watching the Toronto/Ottawa game, and everyone was joking about taking Matthews after the hat trick, but nobody pulled the trigger, so I ended up getting him in the second round, 26th overall. He was so happy to be on my team, he promptly scored a 4th goal. :)

• Like 4

What are his expectations after that debut? Is 65 points crazy? I'm thinking the young guys start to take over this league soon. Not exactly going out on a limb but I think McDavid finishes top 3 in points this year.

I had the #3 pick, and KNEW McDavid wasn't making it to me, and he went 1st. Honestly, if he doesn't get injured for a significant amount of time this year, he is a lock for top 3 in points.

After drafting my team, I wish it was a keeper league. I loaded up on young forwards, hoping they kick ass this season. :)