DVDVR Message Board

Potential HUGE Network changes coming

RIPPA

I was a huge mark for early 2000s ROH, but I hate the product now. 

I would only "upgrade" my subscription if I could get written confirmation from WWE Legal that none of my $14.99 a month would in any way, shape, or form go towards the continued employment of Beer City Bruiser.

That, and every episode of Smokey Mountain with Tammy Fytch will be permanently available on the network.

• Like 5

I think we now know who funded the latest round of TNA tapings.  The only question is what did TNA give up in return for this deal?  I would imagine the deal is quite complicated.

NJPW, I believe, has an agreement of some sort in place with the WWE.  Not sure how this is affected.

ROH, I guess this is to grab some additional exposure.

I would expect UK feds and maybe CMLL to sign up.

A lot depends on the structure of the deal in terms of royalties, ownership rights, etc.  I don't see the indies getting a lot of money.  This is more about exposure.

4 minutes ago, Casey said:

Doesn't Highspots have a Network-like channel that's similar to this idea?

Yeah, it's a pivotshare deal and most mid-sized indies and up already have one of their own, including several of the promotions involved in the Highspots Network. Therefore, there can be lengthy delays between events happening and getting posted on the network.

Does anyone know what kind of numbers NJPW World does in the US? Maybe it would be financially advantageous for them if, hypothetically, WWE said "Hey we'll give you X% of the Network or $X (depending on viewership) if you block NJPW World in the States and let us become THE source for NJPW here."

What I took away from that Tier list is that NXT episodes would still be taped, but available on a delay for the lower tiers.  "Live" meaning streaming on Wednesday night, as they do now, and "pre-recorded" being on-demand.

New Japan has no deal with the WWE

WWE made an offer last year and New Japan turned it down

New Japan statement at the time (twitter and the board are being stupid at the moment)

CR09602UcAASVIP.png

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Does anyone know what kind of numbers NJPW World does in the US? Maybe it would be financially advantageous for them if, hypothetically, WWE said "Hey we'll give you X% of the Network or $X (depending on viewership) if you block NJPW World in the States and let us become THE source for NJPW here."

Isn't it 40 000 worldwide?

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

They have 8,000 subscribers outside Japan, with the majority being in the US. 

Holy shit, this is amazing. That fifteen-dollar tier, if it's like Fight Pass, is absurd value. Maybe they can get a couple other promotions (SHIMMER/SHINE would be a nice get, especially with their emphasis on equality for women in how they are presented on the show). 

I wonder what they see in their subscriber base that makes them think that the fifteen-dollar tier is worth acquiring the rights to showing other promotions. I would love a demographic breakdown of WWEN subscribers. 

57 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Holy shit, this is amazing. That fifteen-dollar tier, if it's like Fight Pass, is absurd value. Maybe they can get a couple other promotions (SHIMMER/SHINE would be a nice get, especially with their emphasis on equality for women in how they are presented on the show). 

I wonder what they see in their subscriber base that makes them think that the fifteen-dollar tier is worth acquiring the rights to showing other promotions. I would love a demographic breakdown of WWEN subscribers. 

Even if it were only 10% of the current subscriber base, that's almost an extra million dollars a month that they can invest in new content.  With the rise of streaming networks and buying up of content, WWE needs to be proactive of getting as much content as possible if not for now, but for the future.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Shimmer is the one that I thought of as 100% guaranteed. It's the top female promotion and they have the absolute dirt worst usage of their footage. Old shows are OOP, new shows aren't released for at least a year and the only online footage is Clickwrestle, which is basically worse than none. I have to think ANY money they can get would be grabbed with both hands.

Mentioning access to TNA footage, it doesn't say which TNA footage, or from when. Are they intending to have TNA continue in some form, and have the PPVs & ONOs be on the network (come to think, Billy wants to rebrand, so is it everything so far, but nothing from now on)? Or is it just old footage - because then it becomes a thing where, here's all these old Impacts which you could have watched for free 10 years ago and didn't, but now because you're in essence paying to watch them, suddenly they're worth seeing? Can't see anyone going for that. More likely, people who were watching TNA a few years ago might re-watch some stuff. Maybe pimp some good matches to their internet friends, maybe.

Also, if they're changing the pricing structure in some way, can they make it so the UK doesn't have to pay more than everyone else any more? $9.99 is £8.03 at today's exchange rate (It was £6.24 four years ago, but George Osborne is a financial idiot, and then Brexit).

• Like 1

No, but like people jumping around between WWF, WCW, and ECW did in the 90's, a change of scenery and some tweaks or a total repackaging somewhere else can work wonders on a guy.  It's kinda the issue now is that there's no real place for someone to go to "reboot".

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Oyaji said:

If it's similar to Fight Pass, (most) companies would keep their autonomy. Outside of a few unofficial feeder promotions, there are more fight organizations that have only the broadcasting deal with UFC and nothing else than the one or two feeder leagues.

I'm worried our Canadian overlords that are the cable companies will not carry the $15 option and I'm forced to use shitty DNS services like when the network first dropped.

My cable company doesn't even allow me to sign in online to watch the archived footage, so I only get the main channel feed, which has gotten progressively worse with what content they air.

5 hours ago, rzombie1988 said:

What I'd like to really see is if WWE could get some of these promotions to run on their network. And then send some of their stale guys to these promotions and take some of their guys to freshen things up like in the territory days.

That only works if the internet doesn't exist.  You can't really be "freshened up" if the same people who are complaining about you can still see you every week.

And you can't even blame the WWE for having stale guys when literally two of THE once-most stale talent on their roster (Jericho and Miz) are now doing some of their best stuff in years.

I could see New Japan selling/giving rights to some of their older shows, imagine if the Network added two or three big New Japan events from 1992 to 2014 or something, or if they showed it on extreme tape delay with US commentary like the show on ASX. But I can't imagine a scenario that New Japan would allow their current product. And WWE wouldn't want to spend a lot on older content since a very small percentage of people that wouldn't normally order would order it for New Japan content (if any). So I won't hold my breath for that, unless they do some career retrospectives and use the New Japan footage that way.

I am certainly interested, I am one of those that signs up for the WWE Network sporadically, I've probably had it on two or three months out of the year. But if they added more of a variety I'd be more likely to keep it, or at least sub more often.

9 hours ago, RIPPA said:

New Japan has no deal with the WWE

WWE made an offer last year and New Japan turned it down

New Japan statement at the time (twitter and the board are being stupid at the moment)

CR09602UcAASVIP.png

Not looking at all the comments below this: that is cold as ice. Whoever's behind NJ right knows what's up. Don't play chess with masters. 

• Like 1