DVDVR Message Board

Potential HUGE Network changes coming

RIPPA

6 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Not looking at all the comments below this: that is cold as ice. Whoever's behind NJ right knows what's up. Don't play chess with masters. 

Its more blunt than anything else. Pretty sure they have tried similar strategies themselves in the past..

2 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Its more blunt than anything else. Pretty sure they have tried similar strategies themselves in the past..

Blunt and open isn't regularly something most businesses do in a public forum. I'm sure they've tried similar strategies but I doubt they're that public. It's Japan, after all. Looks to me like they're pissed about being asked in the first place.

11 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Holy shit, this is amazing. That fifteen-dollar tier, if it's like Fight Pass, is absurd value. Maybe they can get a couple other promotions (SHIMMER/SHINE would be a nice get, especially with their emphasis on equality for women in how they are presented on the show). 

I wonder what they see in their subscriber base that makes them think that the fifteen-dollar tier is worth acquiring the rights to showing other promotions. I would love a demographic breakdown of WWEN subscribers. 

I think that WWE realizes a lot of the subscriber base- especially the ones who'd be willing to pay $15 for the right, would be the most hardcore fans who'd love to do it- which is a benefit for that tier.

The weakness, though- is the fact they're also dangling "you get a Hall of Fame vote" as one of the VIP Membership perks to that same VIP membership base. WWE should have already known from NXT Season 2 (and especially the last season of Tough Enough) that there's a large troll contingent of hardcore fans who will NOT do what WWE wants them to do if you give them a vote on something in WWE...but even then it could have been tempered by all the casual fans and non-fans who might weaken up that troll contingent.

By contrast, even if there's a demographic breakdown of subscribers- it would be pretty clear that the group of "people who are obsessed with wrestling enough to buy the $15 tier of the WWE Network for indy wrestling" and "wrestling fans who, were they to have a Hall of Fame vote, would ABSOLUTELY vote in droves to force WWE to put Chris Benoit in the WWE Hall of Fame" are virtually one and the same.

17 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I'd bet a "HOF vote" would be a multiple choice option with no write-in choice, probably with candidates already decided. 

Right, or WWE would have already decided six for example and let the fans vote on the final person out of four options. I think they couldn't have everyone on the multiple choice list make the HOF or people would quickly realize their vote meant nothing, but they still would have some control over who got elected in.

16 hours ago, Jerome Miller said:

I was a huge mark for early 2000s ROH, but I hate the product now. 

I would only "upgrade" my subscription if I could get written confirmation from WWE Legal that none of my $14.99 a month would in any way, shape, or form go towards the continued employment of Beer City Bruiser.

That, and every episode of Smokey Mountain with Tammy Fytch will be permanently available on the network.

Glad to hear that. If I could sit down someday with my daughter and watch myself announce 2002-2004 ROH on the WWE Network, well, that would be a happy day indeed.

To be honest, I'm all for the $14.99 tier without the other company footage coming in. I can afford that much and I think it's worth the price every month. I'm happy with in-house stuff but I'd like more old house shows and vintage 60's-70's-80's stuff. If that's coming I don't know, but I can hope!

5 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I'd bet a "HOF vote" would be a multiple choice option with no write-in choice, probably with candidates already decided. 

Yeah no way WWE lets people troll the HoF.

Cole: And now let's take a special look at the first inductee into the 2018 Hall of Fame.

*Whatever by Our Lady Peace plays*

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

Yeah no way WWE lets people troll the HoF.

Cole: And now let's take a special look at the first inductee into the 2018 Hall of Fame.

*Whatever Buck Zumhofe's music was plays*

• Like 3

I honestly think they should change the Hall of Fame ceremony to the Slammys, and then just induct 1-2 people every year at the end of the night. They are not making stars fast enough for the current iteration of the HOF to be sustainable, where six or seven people go in every year. And this isn't some weird, legit sports-type "Koko B Ware is in!" argument either, I just think they're going to run out of people at some point. I remember reading something a few years ago about a "match wing," so for example you'd have Austin and Bret go in again because of WM 13, but I don't think the idea went anywhere

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2016 at 11:48 AM, nofuture said:

gWHGQPQ.jpg

Rumored tiers. 

There's a new survey out in the wild with lots of different variations on the above.  The one I got had pricing tiers like the above, but also one as high as 19.99 and one at 7.99.  The most concerning thing to me was that, unlike the above, almost none of the various options had NXT weekly programming, Takeovers, and the CWC all in the same tier.

They also had a list of other promotions (Evolve, ROH, TNA, NJPW were four, I don't remember if there were others) and asked how much interest you had in them, along with a option to write in other promotions.

Finally, there were several pages of different combinations of perks mentioned above where they asked you to pick the most important and least important options. 

19.99 and I want territory stuff....lots of it. Give me 70's and 80's NWA territory shows, CWC, NXT, and one or two of the main roster PPV's that I can give a shot about and I pay it.

Oh...and keep TNA the fuck away from me.

I think Territory stuff hasn't popped up once on any of these surveys, right? 

WWE is the last place you should be going to for that anyway. There's a ton of GCW and Southeastern up on youtube over the last two months, posted by people we know and like a lot more than the WWE machine. Go watch that and save your extra ten bucks.

Someone asked Dave about the whole "EVERYTHING IN THE ARCHIVES!!!" thing and Meltzer said that the WWE plans on never, ever putting everything up at once.

Again - some of that is that pretty much you guys are the small majority who watch/want to watch the archives and that all their top programming is the new material they create and the PPVs.

Oh, I concur. I'm well aware that I'm in the minority of the overall subscribers clamoring for that stuff. However, that's what it would take for me personally to go from 9.99 (MAGGLE!) to 19.99. I simply don't care enough about HOF voting, TNA, or ROH footage to double what I pay to them.

13 hours ago, Ramsey said:

Oh, I concur. I'm well aware that I'm in the minority of the overall subscribers clamoring for that stuff. However, that's what it would take for me personally to go from 9.99 (MAGGLE!) to 19.99. I simply don't care enough about HOF voting, TNA, or ROH footage to double what I pay to them.

This. If it opened the archives somewhat, I'd be down for the 19.99.

I'd see myself doing the $19.99 option.  I'd have to cancel Netflix unless something awesome pops up, but sure.

Now how can we take part in these surveys?  I'd love to give my two cents on this.  Is it random emails they send to subscribers?