DVDVR Message Board

Potential HUGE Network changes coming

RIPPA

I haven't listened to it yet (since I've only be up since 4 am on a god damn Saturday) but Meltzer dropped a special Friday night radio show

Per my Twitter - the WWE is supposedly going to introduce tiered levels of network (4 all together)

The highest ($14.99 a month) would get a bunch of bonuses INCLUDING footage of other promotions like TNA and ROH

There is way more details and who knows if it will actually happening but something is afoot

• Like 2

There would be a free version (5 hours a month - no PPVs)

4.99 - for mobile/tablets (includes PPVs)

And then 9.99 appears to be the business as usual one

Here's the survey question this information is based on:

gWHGQPQ.jpg

That would be pretty sweet, if true. If you only watch NXT, you can basically get the network for free most of the time.

TNA and ROH content on the WWE Network would be surreal. Although I personally would be hoping more for EVOLVE.

I would be fine with a $14.99 version of the Network with TNA and/or ROH footage if I had the feeling the footage would be regularly updated.  If they release the footage the same way they release their vault stuff, the logic would be to purchase the full version for about 2 months, watch the stuff, go back to the free version, and then come back in 6 months to catch up

EVOLVE on the Network would be funny given how stupid the current set up of WWN Live is where you have to buy show individually and the cost depends on when you buy the show 

• Like 1

Okay - from the audio

- The WWE told Dave directly that this is what they are hoping to do. Just no exact time table (and George Barrios mentioned them thinking about a tier system like a year ago). Dave made sure to say that NOTHING IS FINAL. That is why they are doing the marketing.

- Free (5 hours of On Demand service. No live PPVs, NXT and CWC. You would get the live stream). Would be commercials "all over the place"

- $4.99 would include only the Big 4 PPVs. ONLY for phones and tables. You would get NXT but NOT NXT Live events (ie: Takeovers) and no CWC. Commercials would be what you get now. (Alvarez points out that it seems weird they would offer the big shows and not all the PPVs BUT the big shows.)

- $9.99 normal. (All the live events, etc...)

-$14.99 - include non-WWE promotions

- WWE definitely wants TNA and ROH. Not sure if that means Live events AND library or just library. The live events would be similar to UFC Fight pass

- $14.99 fans would also get a HOF vote (whatever that would be). Early access to tickets for events. Take part in online chats. 2nd Screen content. Exclusive VIP meetings with talent. (That is what is being looked at doing right now).

- Basically Cruiserweight Classic would turn into regular show

- Dave isn't sure but there is talk that NXT Tapings would air live for the 9.99 and 14.99 tier.

- Dave "can already see this happening" that there will be a market from WWE or a competitor to get all the US Indys with "names". 

- Dave figures they will definitely talk to EVOLVE and WWN

- Dave was told that basically the $4.99 version will definitely happen.

- All these will be on month to month basis so you could cancel at anytime.

- WWE believes they can make deals with anyone so even if it isn't TNA and ROH they will find stuff. (Dave specifically mentions Progress and other UK groups)

- Dave brings up how it would be interesting to see where Lucha Underground feels about all this (mainly with indy guys and how their contract works)

- PWG has no interest in streaming live (since it will kill their video sales) and then politics start getting involved in who can win and lose etc (since right now they can get anyone who isn't in WWE and CMLL.)

• Like 1

What about "new CWC episodes?" Is that just the cruisers getting their own show? That would be pretty cool actually.

My only reservation about the indy content is that WWE wouldn't put up enough to offset their increased youtube policing efforts. I'd buy the top package for the advance ticket sales, no commercials, and whatever limited indy content they did put on there, though.

21 minutes ago, evilwaldo said:

What royalties would the indies get is the biggest question.  The pricing would have to be attractive to entice them to sign up.

I'm almost willing to bet that WWE will try to convince them that the exposure is payment in and of itself.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I'm almost willing to bet that WWE will try to convince them that the exposure is payment in and of itself.

I would think that is the case.

I would be interested in what the WWE considers 'indy.'  There are some indy feds by me that are no better than backyard wrestling.

13 minutes ago, nofuture said:

Even if WWE paid something like 20-50k per show, it be worth it for companies like EVOLVE or PROGRESS.  I'd imagine it'd be more for TNA or ROH, but realistically, how much do those companies make off PPV?

I think you are way overstating the amount paid per show.  They are not paying the indy's to tape their content.  

There is also the issue of broadcast rights.  Does the WWE keep the rights to all streamed content?

I doubt LU goes for this because they have streaming deals in place.  Most people know about LU already.

• Like 1

What the WWE is doing is setting up a format similar to Amazon Prime, Google Play, and Apple's App Store.

Just now, Cameron Swift said:

Probably a pipe dream, but I would love if they partnered with some of the Japanese companies and showed their live events.

This is where they can make out.  Stream UK and Japanese promotions who do not have access to the US market.  ROH and LU have little reason to sign up because they have TV deals and some streaming deals.

If Ring of Honor is included in this, would that make ROH a developmental of the WWE (which would piss the hell out of EVOLVE) or is it going to be like what the rumor TNA was going to be where it is a brand new company and start over.  Or would it be business as usual and treat the WWE like a video distribution company

So many things about this make no sense because this concept is so foreign to history

A lot of the indie promotions would really need to get their shit together in terms of production. I'm guessing that WWE would help in some way.

UFC has made it work with a large variety of promotions airing shows on Fight Pass but most of them were proven commodities. EVOLVE has been in WWE's pocket for awhile now and they still have streaming issues and weak production values.

• Like 1

If it's similar to Fight Pass, (most) companies would keep their autonomy. Outside of a few unofficial feeder promotions, there are more fight organizations that have only the broadcasting deal with UFC and nothing else than the one or two feeder leagues.

I'm worried our Canadian overlords that are the cable companies will not carry the $15 option and I'm forced to use shitty DNS services like when the network first dropped.

• Like 1