DVDVR Message Board

Talking Smack is AJ TEASING ELLSWORTH!... and a pretty fun Smackdown as well

Rev Ray

Pretty fun show.  

We got off to a rocky start with Bray vs. Kane and then some shitty Randy/Bray voodoo.

We had a Holla Holla Tag Match with the ladies.  Officially get Nikki vs. Carmella for No Mercy.  Alexa gets the pin to build up for the title shot.

The Dolphumentary segment was fun, I hope Miz submits that to the oscars for consideration.  Hey!  2 of the Spirit Squad!  Was Dolph wearing Wonder Woman underoos bottoms?

Heath Slater made a save!  And they played his music! And his titantron says "I've Got Kids!"

Baron vs. Swagger was ok but that finish was the shits.

I thought the main event confrontation was good, I wonder if Ken Doane wrote some of the material contra Cena?

Then on Talking Smack, Dolph was insufferable as usual and AJ teased wanting to face James Ellsworth.

• Like 1

Nothing was particularly great wrestling wise, but everything did serve as solid build up for No Mercy and other feuds in general for SDL.

The Dolphumentary segment was easily the highlight of the show. Watching it made me sad because its even more obvious there is no way in hell Dolph loses this Sunday.

• Like 1

I know I'm just grasping at straws, but when Mauro was talking about the match it's turned from "Will Dolph's career be over?!" to "Will Dolph's Smackdown career be over!?" this week.  (and really Dolph manages to make me hate him even more between the Renee hate and shrugging his shoulders when asked how many times he's been Intercontinental champion on Talking Smack).

Dug the Corbin/Swagger finish - that's one that I don't ever remember seeing before.  

41 minutes ago, Rev Ray said:

The Dolphumentary segment was fun, I hope Miz submits that to the oscars for consideration.  Hey!  2 of the Spirit Squad!  Was Dolph wearing Wonder Woman underoos bottoms?

They looked similar to bottoms Nikki Bella has worn in the past.  Which opens up some really bad possibilities. :wacko:

Is it wrong that I wanted a whole show of:

Cena jumps AJ, takes title, hoists it over his head

Ambrose jumps Cena, takes title, hoists it over his head

AJ jumps Ambrose, takes title, hoists it over his head

AJ jumps Ambrose, takes title, hoists it over his head

AJ jumps Ambrose, takes title, hoists it over his head?

That was such a fun ending segment. The Miz-Ziggler thing was entertaining. I haven't the slightest recollection of these kind of things, but when's the last time a feud has been so botched in execution like Wyatt-Orton has? I kept expecting Bray to see the Ultimate Warrior in the mirror. Just horrible. The build to a match is supposed to make you care about wanting to watch it, not the other way around, right?

• Like 2

So why the fuck Dolph Ziggler lying about ow he see kids wearing his merch? Like kids go up to him and say he is their hero? Like Dolph, why you lying? I did not even know you had merch let alone people buy that shit? I could not believe he was telling those bold face lies. Whatever helps you sleep at night Dolph thinking that you were ever appreciated...ever. Then he had the nerve to claim make-a-wish foundation like the company does not mandate you to go. Everyone on the roster does it.

The Miz just keeps taking people's souls. Like I want him to take Dolph's worthless ass career if it means that he mocks people so insidiously. 

• Like 1

Usually I think the Ziggler hate here can get a little overblown, (see the last post for an example,) but what the hell was he doing on Talking Smack talking about his character being a bad guy? Has he not even watched it before that he thinks they don't keep kayfabe there?

Lesser in the ring this week but a lot of solid build up for No Mercy. Alexa/Becky is great and I love the Carmella/Nikki feud. I'm enjoying the wackiness of Orton/Wyatt. Miz and Dolph with more great promos. Miz seems to be doing too great as IC Champ to lose it now but I can't see Dolph losing yet again, should be a super hot match for the PPV. Good stuff from Cena/Styles/Ambrose as usual, guessing AJ surely retains there in an awesome match.

Has there been a wrestler/team in recent memory that got so much more interesting when turning than The Usos?  They were never really bad, but just beyond stale for quite some time now.  Since turning heel they've been considerably better and more varied in their ringwork and I actually halfway want to pay attention to them.  I'm glad they're doing a slow burn with the AA feud as it's going to be that much hotter of a match when AA finally win the belts.

The Miz/Dolph segment reminded me of one of those Edge and Christian videos they'd do riffing the Hardys, though Miz really isn't in a position to mock someone else for past embarrassing angles and gimmicks or a career of mediocrity.  It's all fitting in with Miz's delusional character though, and I honestly think this is the first time I've been anticipating seeing a match featuring either guy.

As forgettable as Swagger tends to be, he actually looked pretty good here.  I'm guessing Corbin gets his win back on the preshow and we can look forward to more 50/50 booking between the two...

The Bray/Orton bullshit continues to be sub-Dungeon of Doom level bad.  And why the fuck does Bray just walk away from Kane when he was dominating him for most of the match?

DOLPHUMENTARY~!  I will be so bummed when Dolph wins the title. Miz is the greatest.  Not sure why I marked at the return of the Spirit Squad, but I did...

Poor Vaudevillains are still in the dog house.  Weird spot for their match on a go home show before No Mercy.

Alexa Bliss has pinned Becky clean twice now, so she's not winning the belt on Sunday.

The Cena / Styles / Ambrose stuff is how you book a triple threat match.  AJ cut a scathing promo and Ambrose's quasi-shoot still makes room for Cena to do me proud and turn heel on Sunday even though he probably won't.. 

Go to the dark side, John.  The title is waiting for you there. 

Sell out to the corporation!  MAKE HISTORY~!

• Like 1

I did enjoy (though was somewhat sad) when Renee mentioned that Miz will mention The Real World at the Be A Star events and none of the kids have no idea what he is talking about

I was surprised to see Ken Dykstra back in a WWE ring with all of the heat he has had with John Cena. He still looks to be in good shape. On the other hand, Mike Mondo looks terrible. He must have put on 75 pounds since I last saw him in Ring of Honor. He is as wide as he is tall now. 

This is hardly a stellar prediction (since you know, he'll either win or he'll lose, its 50/50) but I really think Dolph is losing his career match. I don't know his personal life, but I know he's car shared on Drive Along with Miz and they're both from Cleveland, so i'm putting two and two together and getting they're at least friends.

Dolph just managed to get a WWE title shot at Summerslam, which at the time I looked at as 'thanks for the last 10 years Dolph, here's your gold watch' and now he's putting his career up against a friend (per my above reasoning) he'll give the rub to on his way out? 

I really think this is it for Dolph, and I say that as probably the biggest Dolph fan on this board (again, just going by most peoples responses to him lately).

Miz over Dolph at No Mercy, but not clean of course.

10 hours ago, Cristobal said:

Usually I think the Ziggler hate here can get a little overblown, (see the last post for an example,) but what the hell was he doing on Talking Smack talking about his character being a bad guy? Has he not even watched it before that he thinks they don't keep kayfabe there?

Don't hate him. In the ring, I prefer Dolph over the Miz. Just really fun to make fun of his babyface character when it steeped in empty platitudes and duplicitous babyface signature phrases. Like he says these "moments" meant so much to him, but could not even refer to these kids by name or bother to provide a location of where this happened. It either implies that it either has been a fucking lie that he came up with so be more sympathetic or that there has been so many that he could not remember them all. But neither of which makes Dolph a more likable guy. I mean Daniel Bryan's Make-A-Wish got a kid in the Hall of Fame and made his name memorable years after said kid's death. Dolph used the audience as an example of why he loves the business when in all honesty, he probably does not give a shit. He is in this business because he wants to be the best with or without the "WWE Universe." That is the only reason he cares so I just found the whole "I do it for the kids that supported me" cliche to be eye roll worthy.

It is like an informed attribute that someone says. They tell you, but never show or provide context that they do care. When John Cena uses the kids as motivation, you at least have examples throughout an arena of a little kid holding up a sign, "I just beat cancer" wearing a John Cena shirt or something. Dolph's babyface character lacks depth while Miz's heel has too much that I can't possibly root against him when it comes to Dolph. Dolph is not making himself more sympathetic appealing to this tired ass notion that "he does it for the fans" because what face doesn't? Should I root for Apollo Crews because of that? Kalisto? I mean Heath Slater gave the added motivation that he has a family support and Rhyno genuinely wants to help the dude. That is why their babyface routine is sympathetic. Becky does not appeal to the crowd but finds motivation in herself to keep going trying to succeed and is genuine in that. That is why her plucky babyface routine is endearing why Dolph's just seems vague. In all the video packages WWE does with fans, I have never seen a Dolph Ziggler one where he stands out from everyone else. I never seen him visibly affected to tears about hearing a sick kids story. This is the first time I have ever heard of it Dolph's WWE career and because of that, I find it just empty and meaningless.

Sure, we can blame it on how inconsistent Dolph's character is and how it is his booking, but you provided an example on how it is not always their fault. Dolph lacks character awareness and context. For example, in Game of Thrones, why do we want to Starks to take back Winterfell? In the show, it is because Ramsay is a rapist, murderous lord and a dick while Jon's story has him overcoming struggle after struggle even death that of course you root for Jon and it was a watershed moment when he finally was crowned King of the North because finally something good happened to the character. The books show that the North without Stark rule deteriorated into a chaotic place full of murderers who will kill you if you invite them in your home(because the violation of the guest's right),  thieves who will be all too happy to rob you on the open path, and just an aura of misery and death that the Bolton's care less about because they allow the misery to take place instead of applying post-war relief. We have context as to why we want the Starks back and winning in contrast to Dolph who has yet to provide why he is so pro-WWE Universe other than he is supposed to. He has never been the people's champion ever so I don't know why he is doing it now to appeal to the sympathy of the crowd. Why do we want Dolph Ziggler to win? Because he deserves it? Because he loses all the time? Because Miz is being mean?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Kyuubi said:

Why do we want Dolph Ziggler to win? Because he deserves it? Because he loses all the time? Because Miz is being mean?

I guess the appeal is less that we want Dolph to win and more that we want Miz to lose. Miz's character is such an insufferable prick that for him to finally be taken down a notch by perennial loser, and overall knob Dolph Ziggler would be amazing catharsis. Of course if Miz beats Ziggler it makes us hate him even more and makes his eventual take down ever more satisfying. It's acceptable storytelling if you look at Dolph's as the banana peel that the villain slips on and not as the hero.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sammo~! said:

It's been mentioned (by Ric Flair, on his podcast, so take it with a grain of salt) that there has been talks between Dolph and the office about him moving into an agent role

Dolph.  As an agent?  I'm perplexed beyond belief that this would be a remote possibility.  Right now I just want to laugh hysterically at this notion because who in the fuck could benefit from Dolph as an agent?

• Like 1