DVDVR Message Board

2016 NFL: WEEK FIVE

Dolfan in NYC

Tom Pelissero @TomPelissero 

Whoa. The #Panthers just cut starting CB Bene' Benwikere, source said. Rough day vs. Julio, but had INT in opener, had played some good ball

How quick did Benwikere move go down? His locker's still full.

Knee jerk reaction is to believe this is a questionable move with our paper thin secondary, but Gettleman has earned my patience so I'll wait to see where this goes.images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQhDE6p5gGxxcL5jiVsi_gB0MP_4AcuTVcEd1fH_0HH7za828qmf92eLF4

4 hours ago, Shadow said:
Tom Pelissero @TomPelissero 

Whoa. The #Panthers just cut starting CB Bene' Benwikere, source said. Rough day vs. Julio, but had INT in opener, had played some good ball

How quick did Benwikere move go down? His locker's still full.

Knee jerk reaction is to believe this is a questionable move with our paper thin secondary, but Gettleman has earned my patience so I'll wait to see where this goes.images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQhDE6p5gGxxcL5jiVsi_gB0MP_4AcuTVcEd1fH_0HH7za828qmf92eLF4

OK, we got to a Super Bowl... But has he earned our patience? This is questionable. Norman was questionable. Smitty was a straight up bad call. Our o line was sketchy last year and was unimproved in the off season. Our secondary was iffy and is now horrible. Super Bowl or not, we employed Cortland Finnegan last year and we're worse now. If there's a plan I hope to see fruit and quickly because right now shit looks bad.

• Like 1

A lot of rumors swirling around. Front office would like to see Ponder jump over Kaepernick on the depth chart but that's a hard sell. Neither he or Gabbert are in the same universe compared to what Kaepernick has done for the team. 

Last night lots of "we want kaep" chants.

It's not entirely the protest. They are worried if he gets injured they will have to pay him next year's guarantee. Rumors saying that they want Kaep to restructure the deal. 

The team is so bad it doesn't really make much difference, everyone is just tired of seeing Gabbert who has never accomplished anything be run out there and people in analyst roles pretending he's good.

13 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

A lot of rumors swirling around. Front office would like to see Ponder jump over Kaepernick on the depth chart but that's a hard sell. Neither he or Gabbert are in the same universe compared to what Kaepernick has done for the team. 

Last night lots of "we want kaep" chants.

It's not entirely the protest. They are worried if he gets injured they will have to pay him next year's guarantee. Rumors saying that they want Kaep to restructure the deal. 

The team is so bad it doesn't really make much difference, everyone is just tired of seeing Gabbert who has never accomplished anything be run out there and people in analyst roles pretending he's good.

I can't think of a bigger public relations nightmare than Christian Ponder jumping over a healthy Kaepernick on the depth chart.  There could be 100 reasons to not play him, but EVERYONE is going to assume that it is because of the protest.  Kaepernick has been the most talked about player in the league so far this season, and he hasn't played a down.  Gabbart has been terrible, Ponder is a joke, and Kaepernick has taken the 49ers to a Super Bowl.  Even if Kaepernick isn't anywhere close to what he was when they went to the Super Bowl, he's still most likely the best quarterback on the roster.  Not playing him is going to cause more problems than it solves.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, supremebve said:

Not playing him is going to cause more problems than it solves.

Looks like the organization might bite the bullet and start him week 6 but his deal will have to be renegotiated. Right now that's the hang up. There's really no other option. Can't continue to throw Gabbert out there.  Can't sell Ponder.

9 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Looks like the organization might bite the bullet and start him week 6 but his deal will have to be renegotiated. Right now that's the hang up. There's really no other option. Can't continue to throw Gabbert out there.  Can't sell Ponder.

Except that there are now anonymous sources saying that some of the 49ers want Ponder to start.

It's as bad or even worse than Washington's QB situation last year.

1 hour ago, dogwelder said:

Except that there are now anonymous sources saying that some of the 49ers want Ponder to start.

It's as bad or even worse than Washington's QB situation last year.

It is definitely worse.  RGIII didn't really have anyone's support, Kaepernick has the best selling jersey in the NFL.  The issue with Washington and their quarterbacking situation last year, was that the entire fanbase wanted anyone but RGIII to start for the team.  Before last season, we had watched a good bit of Kirk Cousins and he was clearly worse than RGIII at that point.  No one gave a fuck, they wanted RGIII gone.  This is the exact opposite, they are trying not to play the guy that everyone wants to play.  He's been pretty bad the last couple of years, but the fans would rather have Kaep at his worse than Gabbart or Ponder at their best.

Colts GM Ryan Grigson basically blamed Andrew Luck for the defense being shitty since "his contract impacts their ability to improve the defense"

Geez - a lotta other teams with high priced QBs have figure it out

15 hours ago, steve said:

We've won the division all three years he's been the GM. I'd say he's earned a lot of patience. 

A lot of that is Hurney though. He didn't draft Cam or Kuechly. He didn't sign Greg Olsen. He drafted KK Short and Kelvin which are both good moves, but I can't say I agree with basically any of his free agent moves and I think I'd rather have DeAngelo than J-Stew. Or both.