DVDVR Message Board

UFC 204: Bisping vs. Henderson II (10/8/2016) - Manchester, England, United Kingdom (Manchester Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

I wanted Henderson to win but I can't argue with the decision, once I heard the 49-46 I knew he had lost. I wonder if he will be one of the last 'one trick pony' fighters, at his age I wouldn't have expected him to learn a new trick but he really only has one way to win matches lately. Granted, that one way is very effective, but the bulk of the match was him just waiting to get his shot in. Came so close in the first round.

56 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Once Mousasi got going, he basically pieced Belfort. Vitor was basically standing in front of him.

It was so great when the always tepid to the point of almost being languid Mousasi knew he had him. His face went full-on rage mode and his finishing flurry was so accurate for how fast and hard he was throwing. Excellent performance by Gegard and I hope he continues climbing the ladder.

I guess one judge didn't even give Dan a 10-8 for the first round. I had the second for Bisping but couldn't complain if the judges went with Hendo but it would appear that wasn't the case. Kind of glad we can get some stability with the belt at least until the next defence. 

10 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I wanted Henderson to win but I can't argue with the decision, once I heard the 49-46 I knew he had lost. I wonder if he will be one of the last 'one trick pony' fighters, at his age I wouldn't have expected him to learn a new trick but he really only has one way to win matches lately. Granted, that one way is very effective, but the bulk of the match was him just waiting to get his shot in. Came so close in the first round.

He did win the Lombard fight with an upward elbow after a head kick. Can't say I saw that one coming even though I was weary about how Lombard looked coming into that fight after his previous performances.

Anyway, damn fine fight between Bisping and Hendo. Bisping survived 2 H-Bombs and kept coming forward and landing.

what a fantastic night of fights. missed the Fight Pass Prelims, but caught everything after.  crazy that everything was a finish until the main.

Alcantara is awesome and this is the best he's looked.

Manuwa > OSP was surprising. it wasn't even really that close, Manuwa just took control and never gave an inch. props to him.

really hoping this win puts Mousasi in the top tier. or at least into a fight with Anderson, since that's what he called for. not a bad strategy at all.

Had Bisping 49-46 but rd 2 was SO close that a 48-47 was completely possible. i was actually quite worried until i heard the 49-46 because you never know.

I wonder if they keep Mousasi as a potential replacement. There are two key middleweight bouts booked for the last quarter of 2016, and he could slide in to replace someone if need be. In addition, you also have Brunson vs. Whittaker.

Man, that Bisping vs Hendo fight. Bisping was in huge trouble twice. Then, as expected, Hendo gassed out, Bisping got in a rhythm, and that was it. Hell of an effort from Bisping and I'm super sad to see Hendo go. When they went to the 5th round, there was this feeling of dread. I'm sitting there watching the last 5 minutes of Hendo's career. That feeling would just get amplified as each minute passed. Then 30 seconds and the final 10. I got a little teary eyed. I've other fighters retire, but going into this, you knew it was Hendo's last. It was just a very odd feeling. And then I felt even worse when Hendo said his kids couldn't make the trip and you could see the disappointment in Hendo's face when he said that. I'd hope he's very well loved and he loves his kids watching on TV at home all the same.

As for Bisping, he's come so fucking far in his career. I'm very happy for him. When Hendo destroyed him at 100, the thought was that no way would Bisping ever get good enough to challenge for a title. He kept at it, hit some bumps along the way, and just kept improving. He kept evolving where so many others in his position didn't. The most shocking thing of all is how much more heart he has. I mean, to take those two bombs from Hendo and keep going is incredible.

• Like 2

Whether you scored the fight for Bisping or Hendo, which is not my big sticking point, but I believe giving Bisping a score of 49-46 for that fight is hot garbage.  Other than that, it's a hell of a fight.  

I really wish Hendo could've gotten done here, but oh well.  I figured when he started slowing down the judges would give it to Bisping.  That being said, the moment where Hendo gets hit with a low blow and looks visibly pissed and then just blasts Bisping with an overhand right was awesome.

6 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I believe giving Bisping a score of 49-46 for that fight is hot garbage.  Other than that, it's a hell of a fight. 

hendo had, what? 6 significant strikes? granted, they were all HUGE hits that caused real damage and concern for Bisping, but that's it. to outright dismiss a potential 49-46 is as bad as any other judging scores.

it comes down to: does one big strike that causes real damage and concern outpoint 4 1/2 minutes of medium damage and control? in this instance, i say no. in others, my tune may change. IMO, Hendo did some big damage but didn't sustain control or really cement himself being the better man.  no judgment against the way other people scored, but i see basically no scenario where Hendo gets the nod here.

42 minutes ago, Casey said:

I've loved Mousasi since I first saw him in DREAM years ago on HDNet. Where does this win over Belfort put him within the UFC? I want nothing but good things for the guy.

Looking at the year...I think the Leites win might be his best win of the calendar year. Marreta is a good fighter, but the Spicely fight showed he can slip up easily and lose. Belfort off TRT is very much what you would expect a 39 year old fighter to look like. Not only 39 years old, but basically running his own training camps. If he doesn't buzz you early and then you finish off, he's basically a standing, stationary target with very little output. Mousasi really seems more confident than he did when he first got to the UFC. Thus, he's way more aggressive. Knowing all that, you would have expect him to run game on all three of those dudes. He's not "playing around with his food" to say the least. This basically just reiterated that he is a top middleweight if he doesn't stand around waiting to land few good strikes.

58 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

That Mousasi Show at the press conference was a blast. Dude is way funnier than I thought.

I think it was episode 4 of the Embedded for this show where Mousasi was shopping and his reaction to the donuts and assorted pastries had me in stitches. Gewik is also a riot.