DVDVR Message Board

[OCT 2016] MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

He claims that the market is dead and there is no longer money in movies

He is not hip to the new technology.  He could still make money doing exclusives for Netflix or Amazon.

I can even forgive Uwe for the shittyness of House of the Dead because it introduced me to Ona Grauer.

ona_grauer_08_KOUGYb7.sized.jpg

I caught Quick Change on TV today, and I realized it's one of those movies that I'll watch at least once a year for life. It's just below Ghostbusters and Groundhog Day for me in Bill Murray's filmography. Looking at the IMDB trivia, I'd never realized it was based on a novel, or that it'd been previously adapted into a French film called Hold-Up with Kim Catrall in the Geena Davis role. 

Spoiler

NSFW Trailer

I'm also watching St. Vincent right now. It's fine, but Murray seems to be all over the place with his performance. Some scenes he's doing very nuanced character work and in others he's relying on the Bill Murray persona to make it work. 

• Like 1

How on earth had I not seen Serpico before? I mean, I like every Pacino movie from the 70's I've seen, and yet somehow it passed me by all this time. And lo and behold, he's incredible in it. I was going to say he was robbed of the Oscar, but then I looked up who he was facing and, well, it was a bloody deep field. Brando, Lemmon, Nicholson, Pacino and Redford.

As far as stories of one man against an indomitable system go, it's a really good one. Serpico's initial incomprehension at everyone assuming he'd jump onto the corruption bandwagon, and his growing frustration as time and again things are not done to set the situation right are captured perfectly.

Also, M Emmet Walsh was in it, buried at the bottom of the credits. Didn't spot him, but he would have been a lot younger than I'm used to seeing him.

• RIPPA locked and unpinned this topic