DVDVR Message Board

[OCT 2016] MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

So, the last movie I watched at the cinema was Deepwater Horizon. The last movie I watched that was on telly was Ted. In both movies, Mark Wahlberg's character joked with his partner about his lack of sexual endurance, saying he could only last sixty seconds. Do you reckon that that's scriptwriters thinking it's funny to riff on the guy from Boogie Nights being a sexual nonentity, or is Wahlberg himself repeatedly improvising his characters being crap shags, to humanise them, or something?

Ted was alright. Pretty predictable really, I knew a bunch going in (because it's the sort of movie that's really popular with the sort of people who like to tell everyone they meet what all the best bits were) so the shocking shocks weren't shocking me. And shocking humour is all it really has outside of the premise.

The Film Festival being held like 2 towns over from where I live is this weekend and they are showing Lion, Moonlight, La La Land and Loving.

There is a big deal being made about them being able to show La La Land as like their tiny Film Festival getting it over some other ones. I forget the exact language surrounding it and I can't find the local newspaper clip about it.

Revenge for Jolly: This is a criminally under-rated film. It's a bit like John Wick: A guy goes on a killing spree because someone murdered his dog. But it's so much more warped and twisted than that.

It's essentially Bill and Ted...if Bill and Ted were sick, gun-toting sociopaths. I liked how they set up that Cecil (Oscar Isaac) was this crazy, weird, drug-addled cousin and the wacky one, but as the film goes on, it becomes uncomfortably clear he's still way saner than Harry (Brian Pestos). At least Cecil realized killing people for incredibly minor reasons was, eh, wrong.

Then there were the hints that Harry was uncomfortably close with his puppy: "I hear in India they marry dogs. It wards off curses. Stuff like that. When this whole thing is over maybe we should go to India." 

It's so bizarre and surreal. 

Just watched Sicario.

Great atmosphere, great tension. Benicio Del Toro and Josh Brolin were incredible, and the set piece in the traffic jam was nuts, and of course the final hit was really well done.

Then there's our morally correct hero.

Just non-stop bad decisions. Don't go in the bank. Goes in to the bank. Don't sleep with Shane. Tries to sleep with Shane, and Shane's a hitman. Alejandro saves your life. Points gun at Alejandro. Told she can't talk about it. Threatens to talk about it. 

Just bad decisions all around. And she's correct morally. She just has to be so damn dumb about it. The end of the movie proves she's right, but she's so damn dumb about it.

22 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

Just watched Sicario.

Yep, we got the free EPIX over the weekend on FiOS, too.

I DVR'ed that and MI: Rogue Nation and will watch both over the weekend.

I watched RocknRolla this past week.  I kinda stopped watching his stuff after the whole Madonna romance and subsequent movie.  It was all right, lots of fun.  As a film it kinda felt half-baked.  There wasn't a ton of tension, a lot was kind of left up in the air, and the bald wig on Tom Wilkinson was frikkin' terrible.  Mark Strong and Tom Hardy kinda stole the show, while Idris Elba somehow sounds more charming and bad-ass simultaneously when he uses his natural accent.  The ending is kinda sad with the 

The Wild Bunch will return in The Real RocknRolla seeing as how the movie tanked so bad there's never likely going to be a sequel

Not gonna lie, a major factor in me watching this movie was watching Finn Balor in NJPW call himself a "real rock n' rolla".

Robocop 2 continues to be criminally underrated and Nostradamus-like in predicting the future. Detroit did go bankrupt, OCP might as well be Wall Street, Nuke could easily be meth. The Old Man doing the super heel turn was the perfect idea. I'm glad they hired someone to reign in that asshole Frank Miller; I tried to get through the graphic novel of his solo version and just stopped reading partway through. The final fight between Kain and Murphy is still ten billion zillion times cooler than anything CGI. And the cherry on top? The totally Italian chorale over the end theme with women wailing "ROOOOOBOCOOOOOP" like it's the dude in Django. 

Oh, and the tactical assault vehicle that Nancy Allen runs into the giant Kain robot looks exactly like your typical SWAT toy. 

Now I'm watching Robocop 3 and guess who's in this?!

robocop3-4.png

I highly doubt I'm gonna bother finishing this (it's PG-13, are you kidding me?) but check out this blurb from a review I found. 

If there is one thing to do while watching this, it is a game of spot the familiar face. This movie is loaded with them. Get past the returning cast members and you will find Stephen Root (NewsRadio, Office Space), Jill Hennessy (Crossing Jordan), CCH Pounder (The Shield), Rip Torn (The Larry Sanders Show), Mako (so many shows, Memoirs of a Geisha, Samurai Jack), Daniel von Bargen (Seinfeld), Jeff Garlin (Curb Your Enthusiasm), Lee Arenberg (Seinfeld, Pirates of the Caribbean), Shane Black (writer Lethal Weapon, Iron Man 3), Bradley Whitford (The West Wing), Eva Larue (CSI: Miami), you could almost turn it into a drinking game.

Okay, FUCK ROBOCOP 3 TO THE MAX. They just killed off Nancy Allen and Murphy says "officer down" after she dies on a church altar. If I saw this in the theater I woulda thrown my popcorn and walked. 

EDIT: In better news, Lady Snowblood and Lady Snowblood 2 are airing on TCM back to back starting at 1 AM Central so DVR that shit! 

• Like 1

I am amused that Goke, The Body Snatcher From Hell was available on both TCM and YouTube this month. The ending should've made me some combination of sad and angry. At least, I think that was the intent as far as the writing, editing and direction. But nope, it didn't.

HOLY. SHIT. 

LADY SNOWBLOOD. 

Just perfect. No wonder Quentin decided to steal it in its entirety for Kill Bill. And good god damn that was a LOT of blood. Wasn't it on the Scorcese foreign film list posted awhile back?

EDIT: Guess not, but it should be. There's also a scene famously ripped off in Scarface as well. 

• Like 1

I never go to the movies anymore unless there is something that looks so incredibly dumb I can't resist. And today I saw THE ACCOUNTANT, which is very high on the list of dumbest movies ever made. Ben Affleck is absolutely awful in this (as he is in most things). The plot makes zero sense whatsoever. People were actually laughing while watching it and it's not a farce. There's some scene set to sweeping, dramatic music where all he does is write up some ledgers on a white board. And it's also over two hours long.

Such an incredibly bad movie. A+.

• Like 1

Sully: I strongly dislike Eastwood's "The Government is evil!" right-wing nonsense that pervades this film, but the anxiety in this film near the end is rather unbearable.  

Even when you know, deep down, it turns out OK, you're still nervous and terrified for these people.

I'll give Eastwood this: He does know how to knock up the tension. 

I do not know whether to be happy or sad about that.  I am thankful that there will be no more Postal our House of the Dead movies but Clint Howard gave a bad movie virtuoso performance as a Nazi Scientists in one of his Bloodrayne movies.  I was surprised.

Matter of fact, how will Clint Howard find work when Uwe Boll hangs it up?

I guess he's retiring because his movies have gone from plain bad to so bad it is nearly great and it scared him.

I await Scott Foy's thoughts about this development.