DVDVR Message Board

Game of Thrones Maesters Thread

elizium

That dude is the main reason why I'm not watching Boardwalk Empire, but get the itch to do so. I watched half of season one, and then when I see that creep, I wonder what fucking direction did that show go in.

That dude is the main reason why I'm not watching Boardwalk Empire, but get the itch to do so. I watched half of season one, and then when I see that creep, I wonder what fucking direction did that show go in.

The best direction. The show hit its stride in season 2 and has pretty much kept it going since.

• 2 months later...

The Unsullied thread got bumped because of the trailer for the new season. That is retarded, they can't talk about the future. But we can. It looks like the Arya at the Crossroads Inn scene is definitely going to happen (she has Needle back in some of the trailers) but they already killed the Tickler, so it wouldn't make sense to do it like they did in the book. Having said that, they should definitely do it exactly like they did it in the book. It's one of the great scenes of the series.

Also, it looks like they aren't doing Lady Stoneheart at all, so I guess the guy playing Beric is going to be sticking around (even if he's only getting Yara Greyjoy season 3 screen time, or even Lysa Arryn's season 2-3 screen time). I think Benioff and Weiss are thinking they're going to have to start inventing story after they finish season 5, because season 5 should take us up to (or past) the end of ADWD, and I don't think GRRM is getting the next book out before 2016... so the changes they are making are setting themselves up for their ending. It's such a great story, we deserve to have two endings.

To guess what's happening this season, the Joffrey-Margaery wedding should be at about episode two or three, Tyrion's trial would take us up to 6 or 7, and the escape and killing Tywin in 9... and then you just see him on a boat in 10. Maybe him meeting Illyrio as his final shot. Arya should get on her boat in Saltpans a few eps earlier, to give Brienne time to get there after she's gone  (in the foreshadowing, Brienne says she bites a man's ear off this season - that would be Biter, after the sack of Saltpans. Hopefully she'll have met Gendry by then, although the fact that he already knows he's a royal bastard in the show (and that the actor looks nothing like the guy who played Renly) kind of defeats the object of that. But I'm guessing Gendry does wind up back with the Brotherhood eventually.

• Like 1

Really looking forward to The Red Viper vs The Mountain getting built up to like a Pay Per View Bout.

Stoneheart is probably something they're keeping as tight a lid on as possible in order to blow minds when it happens.

I think if they were doing Stoneheart, it would have happened at the end of season 3. Plus the actress who was playing her would have to have been on set while they were filming, and in this modern age you can't do stuff like that in secret - she was never in Northern Ireland this year. Although having said that some of the Riverlands scenes were shot in Iceland this year, so they might swerve me and have done it there.

Plus the actress who was playing her would have to have been on set while they were filming, and in this modern age you can't do stuff like that in secret - she was never in Northern Ireland this year.

Maybe it's just how things are in 2014 with the internet but it sounds so insanely creepy/obsessive to even know this.

I think if they were doing Stoneheart, it would have happened at the end of season 3.

Stoneheart doesn't show tup until the epilogue of book 3. Seeing as how the show is only about halfway through book 3, I don't see how you came to that conclusion.

Am I the only one who doesn't like the Red Viper casting? This guy they got is too young and kind of a pretty boy. He doesn't look like a guy who would be one of the most feared men in the realm. From how young he looks it's fairly obvious we won't be getting anything close to the book version of the Sand Snakes either.

Also from the trailer Bran is getting creepy old. They have to do something to make him look younger and the result is him looking a bit androgynous.

Am I the only one who doesn't like the Red Viper casting? This guy they got is too young and kind of a pretty boy. He doesn't look like a guy who would be one of the most feared men in the realm. From how young he looks it's fairly obvious we won't be getting anything close to the book version of the Sand Snakes either.

Also from the trailer Bran is getting creepy old. They have to do something to make him look younger and the result is him looking a bit androgynous.

Yeah, the Red Viper should have been a little darker and a little older, but I'll wait and see.  Can you expand on your point about the Sand Snakes, because I just don't see how you can tell what will happen with them based on this casting. 

I don't know if they realized that Bran and Sansa would be taller than everyone one the show who isn't Hodor, Brienne or a Clegane.  I feel bad for the dude playing Hodor for having to drag what is essentially a full grown man around in a wheelbarrow.  The actresses playing Sansa and Arya are the same age, but Sansa being so much taller really makes the age difference look very realistic.  Being that those are the only casting issues I can think of, I think I can forgive them for not predicting the growth spurts of children.

I can't wait for this show to come back, so much good shit is coming up and at this point I'm confident they'll get it right.

Yeah, the Red Viper should have been a little darker and a little older, but I'll wait and see.  Can you expand on your point about the Sand Snakes, because I just don't see how you can tell what will happen with them based on this casting. 

I don't know if they realized that Bran and Sansa would be taller than everyone one the show who isn't Hodor, Brienne or a Clegane.  I feel bad for the dude playing Hodor for having to drag what is essentially a full grown man around in a wheelbarrow.  The actresses playing Sansa and Arya are the same age, but Sansa being so much taller really makes the age difference look very realistic.  Being that those are the only casting issues I can think of, I think I can forgive them for not predicting the growth spurts of children.

I can't wait for this show to come back, so much good shit is coming up and at this point I'm confident they'll get it right.

The children actors growing up, especially actors of characters that were further away from adulthood, was always going to be a problem when shooting a story that lasts about two years or so over a decade (or how long it will take for the 7 books, where two are not even finished and might not be for quite some years to come, to be put into film). At one point they probably have to replace some of the actors.

Furthermore on why they aren't doing Stoneheart: Stoneheart's role in the book is to turn Brienne, who was the first believer in the new, righteous Jaime Lannister, into the person who set up the Bw/oB to kill Jaime. Stoneheart does this because (in the books) at the Red Wedding, Roose Bolton says "Jaime Lannister sends his regards" to Robb at the Red Wedding, and because of Jaime threatening to send Edmure his son with a Trebuchet (during the seige of Riverrun, witnessed by Tom O'Sevens, despite Jaime having pledged to not take up arms against Stark or Tully ever again before Cat sprung him). Also her body is pulled from the river by Arya Warging Nymeria.

In the show, Jaime didn't promise not to take up arms against Tully, Tom O'Sevens doesn't exist, and Roose said 'The Lannisters', not Jaime. So therefore, everything that would lead Stoneheart to believe Jaime has betrayed his word hasn't happened. And Arya can't Wolf Dream in the show either.

• Like 1

Plus the actress who was playing her would have to have been on set while they were filming, and in this modern age you can't do stuff like that in secret - she was never in Northern Ireland this year.

Maybe it's just how things are in 2014 with the internet but it sounds so insanely creepy/obsessive to even know this.

I didn't go out to discover that information, it just kind of fell into my awareness. Someone else, some youtube enthusiast was tracking that ionfomration and told people, and for some reason I could be bothered to listen.