DVDVR Message Board

Game of Thrones Maesters Thread

elizium

Yeah, the wyldefire guy was someone different, his name was Hallyne. Qyburn was the disgraced ex-maester who was kicked out of the order for illegal experiments (i.e., vivisection) and was just some nobody until he took such good care of Jamie's stump.

Why am I not remembering Qyburn from earlier seasons? Can someone remind me of when he was introduced and his role on the show.

Being an unassuming, forgettable guy is part of his deal.  :)  [The other part is being a Mad Scientist]

Qyburn's actually been around since the first episode of season 3.  Robb and Talisa find him atop a mound of corpses at Harrenhal, the sole survivor of The Mountain's retreat.  When Robb leaves Bolton in charge of Harrenhal, Qyburn catches on as a medic {he's a former maester} an in this role he ends up treating Jaime's stump, saving Jaime's life and salvaging the rest of Jaime's arm.  He accompanies Jaime to King's Landing as more or less Jaime's Personal Physician to make sure there's no further complications with the stump that might endanger Jaime's life.  After all, Roose has become VERY INTERESTED in making sure Jaime gets back to Tywin safe and sound.

In season 4 he fits Jaime for the prosthetic hand and catches on as an assistant to House Lannister.  Cersei in particular becomes increasingly reliant on him and gives him more and more of the duties that normally fall to Grand Maester Pycelle.  Which pisses Pycelle off on principle, but also because Qyburn is a "disgraced" ex-maester who was in fact kicked out of the order and stripped of his chain for "unethical" research and experiments.   That Pycelle hates him makes Cersei like him even more.  When The Mountain is gravely wounded in the Trial by Combat, Pycelle writes him off as a goner but Qyburn insists he can save him, though says the process will "change" him.  He doesn't go into detail, but he's eerily evasive and would set off alarm bells in the mind of any sane person.  But Cersei is no such thing, so she happily gives what's left of The Mountain over to Qyburn.

In Season 5 we see Qyburn now on the Small Council, clearly appointed by Cersei because he is, in her mind "her guy" as much as for any other reason.  And he seems pretty loyal to her; he's her only visitor when she's imprisoned by the faith, he's the only one who comes to her aid after she completes the walk of shame, is quick to be concerned over her physical health after the walk (particularly foot injuries after the walk).  And after a couple shots of him in his lab and a vague promise to Cersei that "the work continues" he has unveiled "the newest member of the Kingsguard", a silent giant allegedly named Ser Robert Strong, but with his sheer size, there's only one man he can really be...

• Like 2

Back in the days when I had aSoIaF quotes as my sig, I had a Qyburn one for a while.

I was as skilled a healer as Ebrose, but I longed to surpass even him. For centuries, Maesters of the Citadel have opened the bodies of the dead, to understand the nature of life. I wished to understand the nature of death, so I opened the bodies of the living.

Are Trials by Combat supposed to be fair though?

Checking Oberyn wouldn't keep the combat fair.  It would give The Mountain the physical advantage.  I never said anything about the combat being honorable.  I said that it would be stupid for them not to make sure that Oberyn didn't have any venoms to use.

New casting call info is out..  

Legendary Fighter: A man in his thirties or forties who is a great swordsman and a paragon of knighthood. He carries a famous sword. The show is seeking a very impressive swordsman for the role- the best in Europe, for a week of filming fight scenes for a season 6 role. His ethnicity/race isn’t specified, unlike many other roles.

ARE WE GETTING A FUCKING TOWER OF JOY FLASHBACK!?!?  AHHHHH!  

New casting call info is out..  

Legendary Fighter: A man in his thirties or forties who is a great swordsman and a paragon of knighthood. He carries a famous sword. The show is seeking a very impressive swordsman for the role- the best in Europe, for a week of filming fight scenes for a season 6 role. His ethnicity/race isn’t specified, unlike many other roles.

ARE WE GETTING A FUCKING TOWER OF JOY FLASHBACK!?!?  AHHHHH!  

They're casting Arthur Dayne, that's fucking awesome.

• Like 1

By now it should be clear the the showrunners that a hefty percentage of their viewers are utterly tuned out during those monologs about the past, so if R*H/L=J or whatever is going to be important, they're going to have to show us R and H and L.

I was listening to a couple podcasts and I have to agree with one thing coming out of all of this.  Martin is nuts but is he so INSANE that none of the parentage breadcrumbs mean anything and he's going to completely alter the narrative of the series this deep into the 4th quarter?   

I'll say this.  I was pissed at Jon's death but did it make me tune out? Nope. If anything it's made me even crazier about the series. I'm reading the books now, I'm reading maps, I'm interested in the unexplored continents and ruined cities.

For the first three seasons of the show I was a casual viewer. Now I'm a crazy person.

• Like 1

I was listening to a couple podcasts and I have to agree with one thing coming out of all of this.  Martin is nuts but is he so INSANE that none of the parentage breadcrumbs mean anything and he's going to completely alter the narrative of the series this deep into the 4th quarter?   

I'll say this.  I was pissed at Jon's death but did it make me tune out? Nope. If anything it's made me even crazier about the series. I'm reading the books now, I'm reading maps, I'm interested in the unexplored continents and ruined cities.

For the first three seasons of the show I was a casual viewer. Now I'm a crazy person.

GRRM is a grumpy old bastard but one of the many things he's really good at is making you invest so much in the small picture while still allowing you to appreciate the big picture.

We become so attached to the people themselves that it doesn't really dawn on us that the politics of the nations is leaving the continent extremely vulnerable. . 

It is totally counterintuitive to the usual fantasy writing model with fictional nations marching in lock step behind a benevolent ruler that always has the best interests of his realm at heart and naturally these nations are totally unified against whatever evil force threatens them.

Westeros is totally unprepared for the White Walker invasion to come and the squabbling over the Iron Throne will sign everyone's death warrant unless something drastic happens.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

And very little actual content, the moderator didn't do a very good job, and the audience questions were pretty shit. They establish right at the start that none of the cast know anything about future storylines and haven't read the books, and then the audience asks about nothing except future storylines. It was like watching an New Jack shoot interview where one guy who phones up asks him if he'll ever go to WWF or WCW, and then the next guy asks him if he'll ever go to WCW or WWF. That Benjen Stark guy somehow gets to ask a question every year, and he always asks the same one.