DVDVR Message Board

Game of Thrones Maesters Thread

elizium

Damn, oh well. I was thinking along the "knowledge" lines, but Soiled Knights would have worked for symmetry.

I guess the big news that happened during the break was that Neil Marshall (director of the Battle of the Blackwater) has been announced as the director of episode 9 of s4. Battle at the Wall?

Battle of the Wall for this season's climax makes sense. Can't think of anything else from Storm of Swords that would be it, well, actually, there is the Trial by Combat, and you could push up the burning of the Tower of the Hand depending on when the fight is.

They need to pick up Strong Belwas and fast. He needs to be the one fighting the duel outside Mereen. Barristan is badass and all, but he won't wipe his ass with his fallen opponent's cloak.

• Like 1

Guys, we worked this out ages ago. Did you get amnesia from the board crash?

Trial by combat is probably around episode 6. Killing Tywin is episode 9. Stannis showing up to save the day at the Wall could be in 9 as well, but could also be a touch sooner, and might need to be because you need to get to Jon being voted commander by the end.

Episode 10 is Jon getting the vote, Jorah getting the boot, Tyrion setting sail, Littlefinger killing Lysa and the revelation of just how long a con he's been playing, and Zombie Cat, among other things.

I'm wondering whether they're going to push Arya's trip to Braavos into season 4 or just not use her for the second half of it.  I can't see them stretching out her trip with Clegane significantly further after the point they're at, or they'll risk running into I WANT MY DRAGONS level padding.

Because that's the big emotional climax of what remains of the book, and episode 9 is where they make a habit of putting that. Most of the other stuff that's happening at the end, while big and important, is either piece-moving or expository. The only other thing that could carry that spot is Stannis saving the Wall, maybe do it as BLACKWATER PART 2, but there are a lot of political machinations inovlved in that storyline after the battle, and I don't know if you could really cram all that in to episode 10 while also doing the customary jumping around from character to character, ending storylines and setting up new ones, that they usually do in the last ep.

And if they have to reach ahead a little to FEAST to pad out Tyrion's epilogue in episode 10, well, it wouldn't be the first time they've done that.

I forgot until reading this thread how much awesome shit happens in the second half of book three. I almost think it will be too much for some unsullied, and people will be turned off by everyone fucking dying. If the past seasons are indications, the upcoming episodes will be great because the show is at its best when its building towards giant battles. 

The Comic-Con panel is this friday, innit? Who do you reckon they're sending?My guesses would be Emilia Clarke (again), Kit Harington, Sophie Turner, Iwan Rheon (the guy who was torturing Theon), either Edmure or Blackfish (forgotten the actor's names), and maybe Daario or Grey Worm Possibly a Lannister instead of Sansa or Jon... if they sent Jack Gleeson, that would be awesome.

They need to nail Victarion, Euron, Doran, and Ariane.  Not hitting those out of the park casting wise would be a major dissappointment.

All this shit at the Iron Isles is going to be interesting with Balon not being dead and Asha not being present for the kingsmoot.

Well, they've got another whole season before they "have to" get to the Kingsmoot.  They're clearly going to have to push some Book 4 stuff forward to fill another ten episodes, but nothing says Balon won't die in the season premiere or that Yara won't make the 'moot.

Balon has to die on screen right?  Hopefully we'll get to see if Euron killed him or if his death was truly an accident. 

I think the two most important castings coming up are Arianne and Victarion.  Arianne has to look good enough to be believable as someone that they would throw their life away for, while also being credible as someone who is smart and cunning enough to pull off the whole crown Myrcella plot.  Victarion is a harder casting based on the fact that they have to be running out of gigantic British dudes who can act.