DVDVR Message Board

Game of Thrones Maesters Thread

elizium

And rude titties.

I'm going to sob when they eventually kill off Big Sam. I naively hope he will make it to the end but his innocence isn't meant for Westeros.

There is no character of whom I am more certain of their survival than Sam Tarly.

Well, as far as the books anyway.  Who knows with the show I guess.

And rude titties.

I'm going to sob when they eventually kill off Big Sam. I naively hope he will make it to the end but his innocence isn't meant for Westeros.

There is no character of whom I am more certain of their survival than Sam Tarly.

Well, as far as the books anyway. Who knows with the show I guess.

I think Baby Sam will survive. Grown up Sam, i can see dying to save Baby Sam and Gilly.

I still think the White Walkers are going to get a babyface pop when they finally start waxing the whole continent.

I sometimes wonder if that was GRRM's intent all along.  To present a fantasy world so frustrating we cheer its destruction as its Just Desserts.

Sam is a character that I once hated and have grown to love. That rarely happens. I'm just talking about on the show. 

Doesn't Dany need two other people to ride the damn dragons? Not many people left that could do that... 

I think they are saving the resurrection for Jon.  Sooner or later there's going to be a huge resurrection, I think the payoff is bigger if it's Jon and they leave Cat out. You really only want one resurrection.

The Imp or my boy Ser Freindzone could easily ride the dragons.

I still think the White Walkers are going to get a babyface pop when they finally start waxing the whole continent.

I sometimes wonder if that was GRRM's intent all along.  To present a fantasy world so frustrating we cheer its destruction as its Just Desserts.

I am going to get liquored up for the season premier so I can properly enjoy Ramsay Bolton getting his brain yanked out of his head by the invading wight horde.

My bet on the what the show will do? season 6 Ep 1 ends with the Nights Watch trying to burn Jon's body. It won't work.

I'd love this to happen, but I think they're gonna drag it out a bit. I think they're going to beat the parentage thing over your head for several episodes to an entire season first, because I don't think many show watchers have picked up on R+L=J despite it already being put out in front of them. There also wouldn't be much for Jon to do at this point, no? He comes back and then...??? There's going to be a lot of set up for the ressurection, IMO. Or he comes back all Hodor'd out and we get a bunch of montages of Melisandre training him how to be human and claim his birthright or whatever, with some kind of culmination at the end of the season. I doubt they'll go the warg route on the show, unless they're going to drive home with Bran and Arya that all Stark kids can warg and then make it extremely obvious that that's what Snow is doing before a predictable reveal.

Ideally, they'd just do a flashback with Ned getting Jon from his sister and that's all the exposition we need, but you know that's not happening. It would be too satisfying.

Bran is going to take Jon's spot next season as the big Stark on campus who can stop the Walkers. For better or worse.

My bet on the what the show will do? season 6 Ep 1 ends with the Nights Watch trying to burn Jon's body. It won't work.

I'd love this to happen, but I think they're gonna drag it out a bit. I think they're going to beat the parentage thing over your head for several episodes to an entire season first, because I don't think many show watchers have picked up on R+L=J despite it already being put out in front of them. There also wouldn't be much for Jon to do at this point, no? He comes back and then...??? There's going to be a lot of set up for the ressurection, IMO. Or he comes back all Hodor'd out and we get a bunch of montages of Melisandre training him how to be human and claim his birthright or whatever, with some kind of culmination at the end of the season. I doubt they'll go the warg route on the show, unless they're going to drive home with Bran and Arya that all Stark kids can warg and then make it extremely obvious that that's what Snow is doing before a predictable reveal.

Ideally, they'd just do a flashback with Ned getting Jon from his sister and that's all the exposition we need, but you know that's not happening. It would be too satisfying.

Bran is going to take Jon's spot next season as the big Stark on campus who can stop the Walkers. For better or worse.

Worse.

• Like 1

I am going to get liquored up for the season premier so I can properly enjoy Ramsay Bolton getting his brain yanked out of his head by the invading wight horde.

If that happens many people will have a Kevin Costner from JFK moment "back and to the left," over and over again.

I'd love this to happen, but I think they're gonna drag it out a bit. I think they're going to beat the parentage thing over your head for several episodes to an entire season first, because I don't think many show watchers have picked up on R+L=J despite it already being put out in front of them. There also wouldn't be much for Jon to do at this point, no? He comes back and then...??? There's going to be a lot of set up for the ressurection, IMO.

I didn't even think of a Ned flashback. That would be cool.

I was thinking more along the lines of Jon doesn't burn in 6.1, Mel brings him back in 6.2 and he spends the rest of season 6 killing a few Nights Watch fucks and learning his true identity. Not just his lineage, but all the Azor Ahai stuff. That would be enough story to fill in the time before the White Walkers/Dany show up.

• Like 1

I like it. Better yet, he can send Davos and the Wildlings to Dragonstone and start mining the fuck out of dragonglass. Then, finally as it looks like all hope is lost at Castle Black when tens of thousands descend on the wall, Dany and her dragons swoop down to bake some wights and Davos and the Wildlings show up with some fucking weapons that will actually kill the White Walkers. 

I still believe that the White Walkers are going to make it all the way to and destroy King's Landing. I really doubt the show would have Daenerys' vivid vision without pointing out what is to come. She'll make it to King's Landing and probably wipe out the wights but it'll be too late. Plus, that sort of empty but not completely "bad" ending would suit the narrative pretty well.

Her seeing the throne room covered in snow, that wasn't in the book was it? There were a bunch of quickfire, vague visions that have come to pass (except for the one about her son) but I don't think that was one of them, right?

Or maybe the throne room is covered in snow because Jon is the rightful heir and not her.  I don't really think that is the plan necessarily, but it did remind me of that line from one of Mel's chapters in the books:

"I pray for a glimpse of Azor Ahai, and R'hllor shows me only Snow."

I've always remembered that line, but I just googled it to make sure it was right.  I did not remember that capital S.  Holy shit!!

OK, I almost feel like I need to revisit all of the show portions with Mel and her prophecies. Clearly, Stannis was a nobody. How many of her prophecies that she was feeding to Stannis were really meant for Jon? I think it is worth exploring. Also, if she is going to meet Arya again, it will be Arya who slices her throat. 

Or maybe the throne room is covered in snow because Jon is the rightful heir and not her.  I don't really think that is the plan necessarily, but it did remind me of that line from one of Mel's chapters in the books:

"I pray for a glimpse of Azor Ahai, and R'hllor shows me only Snow."

I've always remembered that line, but I just googled it to make sure it was right.  I did not remember that capital S.  Holy shit!!

It should have been obvious who is going to win:

hq1p238129308default.jpg

• Like 3

We're all immune to spoilers now.  Everyone knows that J+K=H or whatever.  And all the theories are just that...and all the books in the world aren't going to arm you againt from the sadistic fucker that runs things, even is he's the guy writing them.

I still haven't watched the final episode but I pretty much know everything that happened, I think, and honestly I'm just glad it's over for awhile. I really did stop getting intellectual enjoyment from it.  Although I do have it the last episode on DVR and I'm not known for my iron will.  But I really and truly have no desire to watch it.

Normally at the end of a season of a show like this, I'm like "Man, I can't wait a year to find out what happens."  And that's how it was for seasons 1-4.  But in this case, I'm just really relieved that there is no episode next week. This show is like a burden.  It's like homework at this point.  I'm quite happy having this hour off my plate for 10 months.

I'll just throw this out:

I'm annoyed at how much the thing that pushed over the line for me ended up being so utterly pointless, how useless Shireen's immolation ended up being as a narrative device compared to what they could have done with the character.  I mean, they basically ruined my enjoyment of the show for something that, literally in like what, the opening scene next episode was wiped out?  All just as a bullet point on the "Stannis is bad" list?

Imagine instead Davos saving her, you know like a fucking good guy might, and taking her to Castle Black.  Now with Stannis dead or failed or whatever, imagine Davos needing to protect her from, well everyone, as one of the handful of literate and empathetic people in the kingdom, keeping her alive long enough to become an adult and maybe hoping to get her to Sam and have him like mentor her or something as a lady Maester.  She would be the Baratheon equivalent of Arya: last of her name, in hiding, and making an impact on the world in a completely different way than was intended, only smarter and not a psychopath, with Davos as a dumber Hound. 

Plus the added bonus of not making the screams of a burning child part of my Sunday leisure time.

• Like 1

How many people in the show are now in completely different circumstances than they were at the end of A Dance with Dragons, whether because the show is ahead of the book or because of changes in the adaptation? So far I count Sansa, Tyrion, Jorah Mormont, Varys (and thus presumably Pycelle and Kevan Lannister too), Ser Barristan, Brienne, Podrick, Jamie, Bronn, Myrcella, Trystane Martell, Jaqen H'ghar, Gendry, Mance Rayder, Hizdahr zo Loraq, Theon/Reek, Asha Greyjoy, Loras Tyrell, Mace Tyrell, Stannis and his wife and daughter, and technically Robb Stark's wife (who is a different character in the show, kinda). Did I miss any? I think some of the Sand Snakes are up to different shit in the books, too. And then Maester Aemon, Rattleshirt, Rorge and Biter all died in different settings than they did in the show, too. And THEN Beric Dondarrion and Lady Stoneheart's stuff has either been dropped or inexplicably delayed forever. I mean, holy shit, that's a LOT of changes when you actually count them all.