DVDVR Message Board

Game of Thrones Maesters Thread

elizium

Well not valid criticisms.  But I've been pretty sure the usual groups would throw a shit fit that a woman was paraded down the street naked and slut shamed and pelted with shit for religious reasons, regardless of how big a shit she's been the entire series.

But like I said, I'm pretty sure most of those people bailed after Shireen got burned alive last week, those that lasted past Sansa's shit anyway.

Lack of hand wringing either means I was wrong, or no one cares anymore.

Was that scene not to point out a lot of things in how terrible we are with slut shaming? Isn't one of George's main points behind the books is to show how wanting bad things happen to bad people depicts our own poor morality? With that scene being so hard to watch even though Cersei has been established as a top "bad person" of the series hammers the point home.

I love that scene because it is so difficult to watch. It felt like the only scene with any emotional and dramatic weight they did in a string of huge moments that were supposed to be heavy. And it made one of the most deplorable characters sympathetic. It shows how well they've developed that character (surprise, surprise: her arc is probably the closest to the source material) and how shitty of a job they've done with everything else this season. And how great Lena Headey is. Her trying to stay strong and maintain her royal dignity in front of the common folk she loathes so much was perfect.

All the streamlining is really bit them in the ass. So many storylines have lost their gravitas and feel like cheap, FOX network type drama at this stage. And the cliches, man. The candle scene and Myrcella dying the instant she connects with her true father for the first time were so predictable and so tawdry.

• Like 2

Well not valid criticisms.  But I've been pretty sure the usual groups would throw a shit fit that a woman was paraded down the street naked and slut shamed and pelted with shit for religious reasons, regardless of how big a shit she's been the entire series.

But like I said, I'm pretty sure most of those people bailed after Shireen got burned alive last week, those that lasted past Sansa's shit anyway.

Lack of hand wringing either means I was wrong, or no one cares anymore.

I think the difference between the walk of shame and some of the other shit is that the walk of shame was earned.  They didn't have someone sexually abuse a child just to shock the audience.  They didn't make a father burn his beloved daughter for no good reason.  They made a religion that makes people, men and women, take walks of atonement.  They did it with the High Septon ealier this season, now they're doing it with Cersei.  The people who were slut shaming her were drunken commoners, who we were supposed to see as unsavory.  We aren't seeing the shit fits, because this isn't really a moment fit for shits.  It was a part of the world that was established, and used correctly.  The punishment was because she gave the religious faction power to punish sinners, without thinking about her own sins.  It would have been different if her dad or brother or a king did it to punish her for having sex, but she essentially did this to herself by giving the religious order so much power.

• Like 1

Showcasing the evils of religion is never gonna get you SJW blasted...

Actually the evils of people hiding behind religion is what is going on.

But yeah, the real story is Cersei being so blinded by revenge that she had no idea whom she was aligning herself with.  Her arrogance continues to be her hubris and the High Sparrow played her for an idiot.  The only thing she probably learned from the experience is "Don't make fake friends with the clergy."  

Hopefully she'll be wiser for the experience but I kinda doubt it.  She will just find a way to torment the Tyrell family that doesn't involve public nudity or being pelted with rotten vegtables.

I agree that it's showing the evils of persecution and witch-hunting and slut-shaming and yadda yadda yadda. But I do have one gripe: did it have to go on THAT DAMN LOOOOOONG?! We literally watched her walk all the way from one side of the city to the other. What, you need all that time to fill up the moments where we don't have footage of Brienne's sword cutting Stannis's head off, or footage of Theon and Sansa landing wherever/however they landed, or footage of what the hell the Dothraaki did AFTER they were so ecstatic to have stumbled over Dany. Thankfully, for those rare moments when a naked woman (and her naked body double, which is understandable, but it just makes everything even weirder) wasn't available to fill time, we had all that nice long footage of Jon being stabbed over and over again like it was a Monty Python sketch, complete with just sitting there to stare at his cold dead face and his blood soaking the snow for like thirty seconds straight. And THAT'S the final image of the season. Artistic and gutsy? Oh hell very much yes. But it still feels like one big "fuck you for liking this show!" from the people who make it.

Showcasing the evils of religion is never gonna get you SJW blasted...

Actually the evils of people hiding behind religion is what is going on.

But yeah, the real story is Cersei being so blinded by revenge that she had no idea whom she was aligning herself with.  Her arrogance continues to be her hubris and the High Sparrow played her for an idiot.  The only thing she probably learned from the experience is "Don't make fake friends with the clergy."  

Hopefully she'll be wiser for the experience but I kinda doubt it.  She will just find a way to torment the Tyrell family that doesn't involve public nudity or being pelted with rotten vegtables.

~ZOMBIE MOUNTAIN~

Looks like I can officially join the Maesters group as I have began reading the books. If Book 6 drops any time soon I'll have to dive right into that, though.

So what exactly happened at the end of Book 5? Why do people say Jon's death was ambiguous? Is that how it was worded? 

I have to think he's coming back in some form because the rest of the story with the white walkers doesn't really work without him does it?  This also gets him out of the fucking nights watch and their bullshit oath.

I still think the motherfucker has dragon blood.

Looks like I can officially join the Maesters group as I have began reading the books. If Book 6 drops any time soon I'll have to dive right into that, though.

So what exactly happened at the end of Book 5? Why do people say Jon's death was ambiguous? Is that how it was worded? 

I have to think he's coming back in some form because the rest of the story with the white walkers doesn't really work without him does it?  This also gets him out of the fucking nights watch and their bullshit oath.

Have you read Dance of the Dragons yet?  I'd tell you, but the book kind of spells it out for you.  There is a chapter in the book that basically spells out how someone like Jon specifically can overcome death, and there seems to be no other reason for the chapter to be there.

Not to beat a dead (Dorne) horse, but what about mah:

"Vengeance." His voice was soft, as if he were afraid that someone might be listening. "Justice." Prince Doran pressed the onyx dragon into her palm with his swollen, gouty fingers, and whispered, "Fire and blood."

I am perfectly fine with most of the episode. 

Reek & Sansa - Yes, more snow would have been nice but Reek became Theon and they took their chances on a small patch of snow rather than going back to Ramsey. I believe this will lead to them being rescued by Pod and/or Brienne and they head to Castle Black. I also wouldn't be shocked if Ramsey/Roose intercept Theon and Sansa only for Brienne to pop up for the rescue. The amount of snow on the ground is a  small complaint for her escape. It felt like a positive moment when watching live. 

The Fall of Stannis - I have never understood the support for Stannis so swift comeuppance for the burning of Shireen was needed. He needed to die. Brienne was the proper person to kill him. Whoever said Mel was in a no win situation was right on. If she sticks around, she is toast so her abandoning Stannis was fine in my book. He deserved to lose everything he worked for. 

Dorne- Yeah this sucked. 

Arya - I have no problem with the overkill of Trant the pedophile. He got stabbed in both eyes and Arya got revenge. It looked cool and I have been hoping Arya starts knocking people off her name list. Her punishment of being blinded was to be expected. No problem with this scene.

Dany & Mereen - I think the reasons for making Tyrion the leader of Mereen was hokey but at least he is alive. I am more upset they haven't addressed the greyscale of Jorah. Also, Dario and Jorah go on another GoT buddy trip. Stupid. 

Cersei's walk - It may have lasted a little long but it felt appropriate and was painful to watch. It was pretty effective in seeing somebody you hate go through such ridicule that you aren't comfortable in seeing them punished. Plus Sir Robert Strong. 

Jon Snow - If this is a work and he is coming back, I thought this was fine since we have Mel there to resurrect him and someone like Davos who can be his right hand man on his new adventure. If this is the end, what shitty story-telling. For me, this was always a story about the children.... Dany, Jon Snow, Tyrion, Arya, etc. When one of the older characters dies (Ned, Stannis, Cat, Barristan the Bold), I am perfectly fine with that. Joffrey needed to die. Robb made a huge mistake for love and it cost him his head. I am ok with that. Bronn, Jaime, Cersei, Marge, Tommen, Myrcella, Dario, Pod, Gendry, Davos, Sam, Gilly, Ramsey, Roose, Varys, Littlefinger, Hodor, the Sand Snakes and on and on could all die next episode and I would be fine with it. They are supporting characters who exist solely to get the main children to their final destination.

If Tyrion dies, I will be sad but this isn't the Lannister's tale. If Dany is the winner of the GoT, I would understand but for me, there is no point in having all of these other fleshed out characters. From the very first episode, when they discovered the litter of direwolves, this has been a story about the Stark children. Nobody gives a shit about Bran or Rickon and the writers/directors have given us no reason to but they should be there until near the end. Sansa and Arya will end up in 2 very different places in the end but they should be there in the end. Jon Snow and all this bullshit about his origins should be there at the end. If he dies now with no payoff, it is like Luke Skywalker being killed before Darth Vader tells him who his father is. 

• Like 2

The Many-Faced God disapproves.

Who are you?

I have to agree about the Stark kids. This has always been about the Starks and Dany. It's called Songs about Fire & Ice.  I have no issue if Jon were to die at the end of the series but for it to happen now..  No, I don't think it's interesting to have him NOT reach his full potential.  That's fine for a lot of characters and even main characters but this is Jon fucking Snow.  The entire story of the north revolves around what he's up to.

There's a lot of little things that point to him coming back whether it's the resurrection scenes from season 3 or the possibility of him being dragon blood or the fact that he's the only one who has killed a white walker (and their staredown) or even  "I used to worry about Jon Snow, but he always comes back"

He has to come back or this doesn't work.

I have to think he's coming back in some form because the rest of the story with the white walkers doesn't really work without him does it? This also gets him out of the fucking nights watch and their bullshit oath.

The main reason people think he won't stay dead is because of who he is. Which, if you just started on the books, most of the prevailing theory comes from Ned's chapters in Book 1.

R + L = J is pretty much a guarantee at this point and the ramifications of that have to play into the end game. Even without Jon's true identity, like you said he is so vital to everything happening in the North. It just wouldn't make sense for him to stay dead, add in the fact that he is probably a targaryen and yeah... No chance.

The show has set it up with Mellisandre seeing Thoros revive Beric (she wasn't present for that in the books). The Books set it up a little differently, but the end result will be the same.

My bet on the what the show will do? season 6 Ep 1 ends with the Nights Watch trying to burn Jon's body. It won't work.

• Like 2

Sam is a character that I once hated and have grown to love. That rarely happens. I'm just talking about on the show. 

Doesn't Dany need two other people to ride the damn dragons? Not many people left that could do that... 

I think they are saving the resurrection for Jon.  Sooner or later there's going to be a huge resurrection, I think the payoff is bigger if it's Jon and they leave Cat out. You really only want one resurrection.

• Like 1

Well, there's a theory about the third Dragon (if Jon is indeed the second), but they didn't introduce the character in the show, so who the fuck knows now.