DVDVR Message Board

Game of Thrones Maesters Thread

elizium

They seriously just ended on a cliffhanger for every scene. I'm not even sure if Stannis is really dead at this point. Are they giving George time to catch up?

LOL at that carny EW interview.

The Dorne stuff was in fact awful, but I did like the Jaime scene. We are used to battles happening off screen, but all the Winterfell stuff was kind of shit. It is great that burning Shireen backfired so quickly, but the execution was lacking.

With how quick Mellisandra dipped out, it's almost like that was her plan all along.

This has not been my favorite season but Brienne getting one back for Renley fucking ruled. 

What OSJ said earlier rings true and now it is beginning to bother me.  I don't have a high opinion of Stannis, so I think his sacrifice of his daughter was somewhat in character (her life for the lives people or some shit), but for crazy ass prophecy driven Melisandre to bail out was totally out of character for her.  The new writers are getting that part of the story all wrong.

This Arya shit is the worst training montage ever.   She needs to begin her budding assassin career and start thwacking fools before all of the fools I want her to thwack personally end up dead.

So, Lena got legit nekkid for some of the finale but a body double still did most of the work in the Penance Walk scene.  Why is it that the boobies scenes in previous seasons were fairly titillating, but all of this season's nudity has been really creepy?

The interaction between Jaimie and Myrcella was awesome and sad.  I am guessing that King's Landing will go to war with Dorne over this shit next season and that along with the Jon Snow shivving will exacerbate the White Walker invasion coming down from the North.  The silver lining being that when the wights hit, the Boltons will be the first to get it.

I guess Kit signed up for two more seasons SO THAT JON COULD BE IN FLAHSHBACKS DADDY~!  Sorry, Fowler.

Melisandre's show arc is super weird she went from 100%" Look at all this melted snow, I'm the Shit" to "I've made a terrible mistake" in 1 second flat.

The Dorne stuff just seems like footage from a completely different show. Gotta love the plan of killing Myrcella and giving away Tristane as an hostage.

"In Dorne we don't kill little girls" - Oberyn

"Kill everyone!!!!" - Oberyn's daughters and wife.

• Like 2

Melisandre's show arc is super weird she went from 100% Look at all this melted snow, I'm The Shit to I've Made A Terrible Mistake in 1 second flat.

The Dorne stuff just seems like footage from a completely different show.

The melted snow is the single worst idea ever.  Not only did it not help Stannis at all, but it made Theon and Sansa's escape from Winterfell a jump to their death instead a leap of faith that the giant fucking snow drift will catch them.  Did you see how high that wall was?  How are we supposed to believe they survived that?

I'm all for working the crowd, but in this day and age, how the fuck do W&B expect to keep Jon's resurrection a secret once filming starts?  That is, if those two assholes are working the crowd and didn't just decide to kill off Jon and do their own thing.

I'm all for working the crowd, but in this day and age, how the fuck do W&B expect to keep Jon's resurrection a secret once filming starts?  That is, if those two assholes are working the crowd and didn't just decide to kill off Jon and do their own thing.

The interview could've been a work.  Kit may have been lying.

I know it could be a work, but how long would it hold up?  Filming Season 6 starts up in a couple months, one camera phone and the gig's up.  Right now, all they did is piss off another set of fans with another main character death that was clunkly done with no real build behind it that other shit they did takes away from it.  The books did a better slow burn, but didn't have Hardhome.  With Hardhome happening, even if the Brothers were still pissy about the Wildlings period, the Others having a few thousand less troops proves Jon made the right call.

You also have to understand that the vast majority of their audience isn't checking casting news.  Entertainment Weekly is a magazine that is read by people at the dentist office or people who are huge fans who probably already know the game.  So he is either having a laugh with the fans or working the rubes, so no harm is really done.

Since we don't know how long Jon is out of the story after the stabbing, they've got plenty of time to play with. It wouldn't surprise me if Kit's 2 year deal is because he's gonna sit on the sidelines for one of them, so they simply have first option on him.

The Mel stuff is really interesting.  Did she lose faith in her God?  In Stannis?  Or was she using the king's blood sacrifice for another purpose entirely.  

She looked lost when she showed up at Castle Black.  Which is sort of in line with what Thoros told her when he first prayed Beric back to life.  I bet we see Jon again almost immediately in Season 6. 

Yeah, publishing an interview that where Kit says "Yup, I'm dead, not coming back, producers say I'm dead and not coming back" that goes right into Facebook's trend column the second the episode is over is a pretty good way to convince everyone otherwise.

Especially since we haven't gotten him back alive in a book yet or anything.  We have nothing to go on that he actually *is* still alive aside from fan theories.  Its not like GRRM is above doing all the heavy hinting that Jon is something special, then just knocking him off for shits.

In the characters being out of character department, did the fuck up Brienne last night again too?  I mean, Was her plan really to march into Stannis' camp and kill him?  Or just forget her Oath in the off chance Stannis gets his ass kicked?

Seeing a heel get their cumuppance (even in a humiliating fashion) doesnt seem so bad after watching a little girl get burned to death or another fairly innocent girl get poisoned to death?

Most of the outrage will prob be because Lena Headey used a body double for most of those scenes.

Well, there's the off chance that anyone that would've flipped their shit about it bailed earlier in the season.

And seriously, fuck everything Dorne this season.  The took an interesting part of the books and fucked it up 17 ways to Sunday.

The stuff in King's Landing was just about the only thing they got right this season. What are the valid criticisms of the Walk of Atonement/shame?

The melted snow/"let's do a Shane McMahon without the massive pile of cables" was par for the course this season. So much nonsensical bullshit.

Well not valid criticisms.  But I've been pretty sure the usual groups would throw a shit fit that a woman was paraded down the street naked and slut shamed and pelted with shit for religious reasons, regardless of how big a shit she's been the entire series.

But like I said, I'm pretty sure most of those people bailed after Shireen got burned alive last week, those that lasted past Sansa's shit anyway.

Lack of hand wringing either means I was wrong, or no one cares anymore.

Was that scene not to point out a lot of things in how terrible we are with slut shaming? Isn't one of George's main points behind the books is to show how wanting bad things happen to bad people depicts our own poor morality? With that scene being so hard to watch even though Cersei has been established as a top "bad person" of the series hammers the point home.

I love that scene because it is so difficult to watch. It felt like the only scene with any emotional and dramatic weight they did in a string of huge moments that were supposed to be heavy. And it made one of the most deplorable characters sympathetic. It shows how well they've developed that character (surprise, surprise: her arc is probably the closest to the source material) and how shitty of a job they've done with everything else this season. And how great Lena Headey is. Her trying to stay strong and maintain her royal dignity in front of the common folk she loathes so much was perfect.

All the streamlining is really bit them in the ass. So many storylines have lost their gravitas and feel like cheap, FOX network type drama at this stage. And the cliches, man. The candle scene and Myrcella dying the instant she connects with her true father for the first time were so predictable and so tawdry.

• Like 2

Well not valid criticisms.  But I've been pretty sure the usual groups would throw a shit fit that a woman was paraded down the street naked and slut shamed and pelted with shit for religious reasons, regardless of how big a shit she's been the entire series.

But like I said, I'm pretty sure most of those people bailed after Shireen got burned alive last week, those that lasted past Sansa's shit anyway.

Lack of hand wringing either means I was wrong, or no one cares anymore.

I think the difference between the walk of shame and some of the other shit is that the walk of shame was earned.  They didn't have someone sexually abuse a child just to shock the audience.  They didn't make a father burn his beloved daughter for no good reason.  They made a religion that makes people, men and women, take walks of atonement.  They did it with the High Septon ealier this season, now they're doing it with Cersei.  The people who were slut shaming her were drunken commoners, who we were supposed to see as unsavory.  We aren't seeing the shit fits, because this isn't really a moment fit for shits.  It was a part of the world that was established, and used correctly.  The punishment was because she gave the religious faction power to punish sinners, without thinking about her own sins.  It would have been different if her dad or brother or a king did it to punish her for having sex, but she essentially did this to herself by giving the religious order so much power.

• Like 1