DVDVR Message Board

Game of Thrones Maesters Thread

elizium

I feel like my bile will overwhelm me if there are no Greyjoy bros in the future. Also count me in on the Randyll Tarly train, such a fucking douche.

I was wondering if we will ever see theon's sister again.

I feel like my bile will overwhelm me if there are no Greyjoy bros in the future. Also count me in on the Randyll Tarly train, such a fucking douche.

Well, Victarion's signature spot went to Jaime, so that doesn't bode well for him.

Asha got put through the WWE name generator and shows up once a season (if that).

Balon hasn't even been killed yet.

Unless The Drowned God/Cthulu/A Literal Kraken is an essential part of the Battle Royal Of The Gods at the end of the story and thus Damphair needs to summon/manage him he's probably cut.

And if they're willing/able to prune Fake Aegon (as they clearly have) Euron's probably out along with him.

As someone who "got something in his eye" when ADWD had the Asha/Theon reunion at the end (to say nothing of being a fan boy for off-brand Vikings) I'm a bit sad over this myself.

There's something poignant about Euron Greyjoy winning an election with bullshit promises and policies that will destroy his people/nation in the long term (and people being all to willing to believe a politician who tells them they're greater than they are and casting down the unpopular realist would-be leaders preaching austerity/scaling back) and I'll miss that too, and all the parallels one could draw to actual current/historical leaders, of course...

Random question:  I can't remember, did the books clarify who the Sons of Harpy are under the masks?

Because if it's just the younger men from the great families, that's one thing.  But if it's the fighting ex-slaves from the pit, then dragging the Unsullied into uncomfortable terrain where their standard techniques would be greatly hampered and basically turning it into a bunch of small fights instead of one big battle being a successful strategy makes more sense.

And why even Baristan the Bold would eventually fall fighting a dozen or so of them at once.

• Like 1

It's fairly well implied that the great families are strongly involved, but at the same time there are too many Sons of the Harpy for it to be just them. Although they are all rich, and therefore able to hire killers.

There's also a theory that the Green Grace is the Harpy herself.

It's fairly well implied that the great families are strongly involved, but at the same time there are too many Sons of the Harpy for it to be just them. Although they are all rich, and therefore able to hire killers.

Well "The Harpy" can hardly be a dude :)

It has to be her.

Also it fits right into Dany's traditional blind spot of never recognizing the threats posed to her by other women.

I'm feeling better about that scene by assuming it's the freed fighting slaves.

But I might really need to re-read the books, because details are slipping from my mind badly.

I'm feeling better about that scene by assuming it's the freed fighting slaves.

But I might really need to re-read the books, because details are slipping from my mind badly.

No shame in details from Dany's ADWD chapters slipping your mind.  I don't remember them that well either and honestly don't worry about it that much.

REEK is the runaway MVP of the fifth book (though Lord Too-Fat snagged a couple of the first place votes.)

Nah. They are just really hit or miss with the off book stuff.

Bron/Jaime in dorne is about 10 times better than Jaime's story in the books.

I couldn't disagree more.  Bronn and Jaime are on a mission that doesn't make one bit of sense.  There is no way that Jaime and especially Bronn would make the decision to go into Dorne and expect to get out alive.  They've created characters that have clear motivations, and this entire plot throws those motivations out of the fucking window.  If Bronn was someone who was willing to throw his life away for nothing, he would have fought for Tyrion.  He would have had a much better chance to beat the Mountian in single combat than to go into Dorne, kidnap a princess, and leave with the entire strength of Dorne chasing them.  Jaime's become a much more honorable character, who doesn't seem like the type of person who would decide to go kidnap a princess.  The biggest problem is that there is no possible way for them to actually acomplish their goal.  They didn't have a plan to either enter or exit Dorne, a place where Aegon Targaryen and his fucking dragons couldn't successfully infultrate.  This is the dumbest part of the show, and I'm not going to even mention the fact that the Sand Snakes have turned into some Saturday afternoon bullshit.

I'm actually sort of liking the Winterfell stuff too for that matter.  REALLY didn't like the way they went with that last scene, but the pre-wedding stuff was all pretty great. Sansa not taking shit from Ramsey's girl and the dinner scene from the previous week were highlights.

Jaime not having a plan is classic Jaime.  I have no problem with them switching stuff as long as it is somewhat true to the characters.  Sure, Bronn has been presented in such a way that it is odd he would risk his life for this, but I'm just happy he is still on the show at this point.  If they have to make up some half-baked reason for it then so be it.

I might be the only one, but I really enjoyed Jamie seizing the Riverlands* in the books.

*As mentioned, my memory of details is slipping badly 4 years after I read them, so if it wasn't the Riverlands, insert the correct location there.

You tend to overstate how "impenetrable" some places are, supreme.

We're sitting here in 2015 with technology and weaponry so advanced it would seem like magic to the people of Westeros, and there is still not a nation in the world that can 100% - and not even close to 100% - account for the security of its borders, and yet you'd have us believe that two people couldn't sneak through Dorne or around Moat Cailin.

Come on, man.

• Like 1

I might be the only one, but I really enjoyed Jamie seizing the Riverlands* in the books.

*As mentioned, my memory of details is slipping badly 4 years after I read them, so if it wasn't the Riverlands, insert the correct location there.

That's because Blackfish is The Rock to Jaime's Billy Gunn.

And I am saddened we won't see that particular bit adapted.