DVDVR Message Board

Game of Thrones Maesters Thread

elizium

I look forward to the escape and kill-crazy rampage that Tyrion will likely go on. I suspect he and Bran mend fences and then kick all kinds of ass.

Does Shae die? Probably so.

Tywin? Almost certainly.

Cersei? Maybe, but that would leave us short of heels whispering in Tommen's ear.

Merwyn Fucking Trant? Very likely.

Jamie? Not a chance. I have a funny feeling that he winds up Hand of the King.

That should be a sufficient bloodbath for the next two episodes. Oh, and the Hound will likely die of his infection (unless he gets so sick that he can't resist treatment.) I can see that happening, but it's probably wishful thinking as GRRM has a tendency to kill of characters I like. (Wait, what am I saying, he kills off characters I don't like as well. Come to think of it, GOT follows Joe Bob Briggs' first rule of a slasher film.

"Anyone can die at any moment."

For that matter it also follows rule #2

"The innocent must suffer."

Trant is such a jabronie he's not even worth the effort of killing off.  They'd have to change/recast the "token Kingsguard bozo who isn't Jaime" role and unless they really want to do that for some reason or Balon Swann turns out to actually be relevant enough the show "needs" that role, they're better off keeping Trant for face recognition since this show has so many different characters and recasts as it is.  Better the lickspittle the audience knows than the lickspittle they don't.

I look forward to the escape and kill-crazy rampage that Tyrion will likely go on. I suspect he and Bran mend fences and then kick all kinds of ass.

Does Shae die? Probably so.

Tywin? Almost certainly.

Cersei? Maybe, but that would leave us short of heels whispering in Tommen's ear.

Merwyn Fucking Trant? Very likely.

Jamie? Not a chance. I have a funny feeling that he winds up Hand of the King.

That should be a sufficient bloodbath for the next two episodes. Oh, and the Hound will likely die of his infection (unless he gets so sick that he can't resist treatment.) I can see that happening, but it's probably wishful thinking as GRRM has a tendency to kill of characters I like. (Wait, what am I saying, he kills off characters I don't like as well. Come to think of it, GOT follows Joe Bob Briggs' first rule of a slasher film.

"Anyone can die at any moment."

For that matter it also follows rule #2

"The innocent must suffer."

This feels like it should be in the other thread.

• Like 1

This feels like it should be in the other thread.

Leave Old School John alone...he referenced Joe Bob Briggs.

Seriously though..I think Shae and Tywin go in the last episode and Stannis saves the day tonight.  This show is so dang good.  Or....the war at the wall goes on for 2 eps and the last scene from this season is Stannis saving the day...there's always that angle.  Although I think that the last thing will be Lady Stoneheart hanging some Freys.

Did it seem to anyone else that the Wildlings were winning the battle in the Courtyard, right up until they lost?

Can't believe they killed Pyp and Grenn. Changing Janos Slynt into a useless coward was a good move though. Especially making clear that Gilly is more winning to fight for her life than Slynt is. I'm guessing Jon's accession to Lord Commander is going to require a lot less trickery now. Did Ser Alliser Thorne die? They're leaving that open, I bet.

Loved the episode, but I really wished it ended with the Mance/John conversation instead of him going to talk.  There is just too much stuff they need to squeeze into the next episode, I'm kind of afraid that they'll not give enough time to make everything work. 

Next week they have to get to Bran getting to the three-eyed crow.  Are they going to have to fight the Whights to get there?  Are they going to have the Varymyr trying to fight for control of Summer?  If John isn't really dead, they are going to have to setup the fact that Wargs can takeover animals at death right?  They have to meet Bloodraven and the Child of the Forest right?  If they do don't they have to explain who they are?  If they just show up and see some old ass dude in a tree without any explanation won't everyone who didn't read the books be lost?

The Hound has to die, and Arya has to take the boat to Braavos right?  Putting that off until next season wouldn't seem to make sense based mostly on the fact that they would have to send the actress to multiple locations. 

Tyrion has to kill Tywin and Shae or they would have to pay the actors for one scene and leave Tryion's death up in the air.  There will probably be exposition scenes with both Jaime and Varys, so that is going to take some time.

There was a short shot of dragons that means that Dany will be in there at some point, even though I can't think of what more needs to be included this season...it's not like they have a lot for her to do next season either.

Then they need to have another pretty big battle where Stannis comes to save the Night's Watch.  That is really a lot of shit to put into an hour of television. 

Not to mention the reveal of Lady Stoneheart which I hope is included this season.  Does that mean they'll reveal Arya is a warg?  It seems to be a pretty big deal in her training as an assassin, and it seems like Nymeria is going to be essential to that storyline by the end. 

I liked this episode for the most part but it was just too much content to slush into one hour. Gotta agree with GRRM, why are these seasons 10 episodes and not 13?? Pony up HBO.

The fights all really delivered. I'm surprised they gave Allistar so much shine. Tormund was a total beast, that guy was everywhere. I wonder how choreographed all that chaos was. Ygritte was pretty badass as well, dodging arrows and shit. I loved the moment when she heard the sound of steel on Valaryian steel and went rushing in. I half expected her to put an arrow in Styr for trying to take her kill.

Next week presents a huge challenge. At least one storyline is going to be severely short changed.

Yeah it says 65 mins when I set the season finale to record but it does run from 9:00-10:15 so they could add a couple more minutes.

The preview reads: Circumstances change after an unexpected arrival from north of the Wall, Dany must face harsh realities, Bran learns more about his destiny, and Tyrion sees the truth about his situation.

From the preview we know Arya/Hound have at least a scene then the rest is up in the air on who else appears in the finale.

Will give my thoughts later after some much needed sleep.

Brienne's actress promised in pre-season interview clips/"making of" trailers that she bites someone's ear off this season.  So that has to happen.

Pretty stacked -- possibly overloaded -- card for next week:

Tyrion, in the bathroom, with the Crossbow (has to be Joffrey's old Phallic Crossbow too)

Sandor's "death" and Arya redeeming her Chuck E Assassin token to Braavos

Brienne eats an ear

Jon/Mance parley

Bran gets to The Three Eyed Raven

Stannis arrives at The Wall

Tyrion's escape from prison (and says goodbye to Jaime) and from KL entirely

Reveal that The Mountain was poisoned, Qyburn volunteers to study him

Drogon kills a child this time, Dany chains up the dragons

Balon finally dies?

Lady Stoneheart

Bran doesn't have to get to the three eyed crow, it could be a vision.

I think the season ends with Lady Stoneheart or Dany's dragons killing a child

The preview showed Bran saying "We aren't going to make it," and Jojen replying, "We're here."  Either way they have to explain something right?  Just showing up at a tree in the middle of the snow won't really mean anything.  I really think that them rushing him to the three eyed crow is going to be their work around for a lot of the history shit that needs to be explained to the noobs. 

I think the season ends with Lady Stoneheart or Dany's dragons killing a child

With the way they've rearranged Brienne's story, I'm guessing they hold off on revealing Stoneheart until Brienne meets her.

The Brotherhood haven't appeared at all this season, so it wouldn't make any sense to have them suddenly show up in the finale just so Stoneheart can kill some random dudes nobody cares about. It worked in the book, but with the way the show has progressed, it would actually be pretty flat, dramatically speaking. It will be much more impactful to have Brienne be the entry point for that reveal.

I guess that could happen in the finale, but again, the Brotherhood hasn't been on all season, and I can't imagine Weiss & Benioff dropping them out of nowhere into a finale that is already going to be stuffed with incident. I would wager they'll hold off on Brienne meeting the Brotherhood and Stoneheart until early next season when they can have all those guys around for the full season to follow up on...whatever it is they're doing.

I wouldn't mind them doing the ASOS epilogue style Stoneheart reveal, except they'd probably have to burn Lame Lothar -- who stands a slight chance of being recognized as the goofy hat guy (who stabbed Mrs. Robb right in her pregnant belly) -- instead of introducing Merrett Frey just to immediately hang him.  But Thoros and Anguy the archer have to be there and explain away "oh Beric couldn't be here, but we got someone else" since there the only name BWB guys so far.

But I do really wanna see Beric find Cat's body (like the BWB is looking for RW witnesses/survivors?) and pass the essence on.  Have her eyes spring open in classic horror movie style.

Some people have been frame by framing the trailer for ep 10, and reckon we're getting Hound vs Brienne next week.

Production notes for the next episode submitted for the Emmy's were leaked for special effects...

Bran and company are attacked by wights and meet a man in roots(special effects described for Blodraven).

Hound neck and ear injuries added to his burn make up.