DVDVR Message Board

[NXT] OCTOBER 2016 NXT DISCUSSION

RIPPA

2 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

I can't see them jobbing out Sanity in their debut, so it looks like Dillinger/Roode will implode and Tye might actually get a real feud.

If Dillinger/Roode lose first round, then I wonder if Roode ends up being Aries's partner instead of Strong.

2 hours ago, The Z said:

It would be pretty funny, if Aries teased Strong, but then it turned out to be Elias Samson. That would be the ultimate heel move.

That's probably the only thing Aries could do in nxt right now that would get me to boo him.

I thought it was a fun show, it was about what I was expecting from a house show. Attendance was lower than I expected but since NXT isn't on traditional TV and it was a house show hopefully WWE wasn't disappointed. I was glad Asuka got a singles match instead of being trapped in a tag and just doing a few spots (which is kinda what Shinsuke did). Plus the signed poster is a tremendous value at $50 (for someone like me that collects such things). If you told me a year and a half ago I'd be seeing Kana and Nakamura wrestling on the same show in Norfolk, VA I'd have said you were out of your goddamn mind.

My dad had never seen any of the non-TNA wrestlers before since he doesn't watch NXT. He was most impressed by Alexander, but it helped he was in a singles match against a seasoned vet who knew what he was doing as well.

I went to the show in Richmond last night. It was fun, but I have to say, I've been to indie shows with equally good (and sometimes better) wrestling, in more suitable environs (the theater was set up in such a way that even front row fans weren't really all that close to the action, so everything felt distant), for a small fraction of the cost.

Seems like the NXT people are well aware that fans will shell out just to chant "10" at Tye Dillinger and see Nakamura and Roode do their ring entrances, and so there's no need for much of the wrestling to rise above the level of a mid-grade TV match.

Maybe my expectations were too high. On the bright side, Aries/Alexander was good, and it was very cool to see Samoa Joe in person.

1 hour ago, MapRef41N93W said:

I went to the show in Richmond last night. It was fun, but I have to say, I've been to indie shows with equally good (and sometimes better) wrestling, in more suitable environs (the theater was set up in such a way that even front row fans weren't really all that close to the action, so everything felt distant), for a small fraction of the cost.

Seems like the NXT people are well aware that fans will shell out just to chant "10" at Tye Dillinger and see Nakamura and Roode do their ring entrances, and so there's no need for much of the wrestling to rise above the level of a mid-grade TV match.

Maybe my expectations were too high. On the bright side, Aries/Alexander was good, and it was very cool to see Samoa Joe in person.

Was it at the Landmark Theater? I saw TNA there five years ago and thought the same thing, that the theater setup was a bit weird and made the action feel far away.

It was at the Altria Theater. I've seen pictures of at least one other NXT theater show where they had some seats onstage, and the entrance to the stage at a diagonal to the ring. That must not have been logistically feasible for this show, where the closest seats were several rows back on the floor (any closer and the view would have been terrible, presumably), and the curtain was right behind the ring. Some wrestlers actually still did their initial poses right outside that curtain, where the audience could barely see them.

Came to plug the post NXT pod i did with Matt. But it didnt save. :(

Good show. No real surprises. Nak, joe, roode, asuka were most over.

---

Nxt 10/8 bel air md (~2500) - lince dorado d wesley blake, liv morgan d aliyah, authors of pain d tm61, no way jose d elias samson, bobby roode d cedric alexander, asuka b peyton royce by submission, Shinsuke Nakamura & Ty Dillinger d Samoa Joe & Austin Aries

Good solid house show. Nothing bad. Best either main or roode/alexander. Roode was very over with large part of crowd. Who sang his theme. Everyone in main was over, as was asuka. Lots good comedy with aries and dillinger. Peyton got more offense than expected.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Came to plug the post NXT pod i did with Matt. But it didnt save. :(

Good show. No real surprises. Nak, joe, roode, asuka were most over.

---

Nxt 10/8 bel air md (~2500) - lince dorado d wesley blake, liv morgan d aliyah, authors of pain d tm61, no way jose d elias samson, bobby roode d cedric alexander, asuka b peyton royce by submission, Shinsuke Nakamura & Ty Dillinger d Samoa Joe & Austin Aries

Good solid house show. Nothing bad. Best either main or roode/alexander. Roode was very over with large part of crowd. Who sang his theme. Everyone in main was over, as was asuka. Lots good comedy with aries and dillinger. Peyton got more offense than expected.

Looks like you guys got the exact same show Norfolk did, down to your match descriptions and winners. I wonder if the Richmond show was a bit different as they figured Norfolk and Richmond are close enough people may attend both shows, or if that as just a coincidence.

Cedric vs Roode I assume they were exactly the same match as Norfolk but I thought that was a Takeover quality match.  Easily the best match on the show.  Everything else was just there.  I thought Asuka vs Peyton Royce was pretty good and the main was fine although they were clearly taking it easy.  Rest of the show was just average.  I was impressed with Aliyah in the ring against Liz.   It is funny how over No Way Jose is until the bell rings.  Granted he is working Elias Sampson who is working like a 1984 heel and it felt like it took forever

Really good crowd.   

• Like 2