DVDVR Message Board

[NXT] OCTOBER 2016 NXT DISCUSSION

RIPPA

16 hours ago, Rev Ray said:

I'm assuming Victoria's dad Ricky Gonzalez is Rudy-Boy Gonzalez?

That's my guess since they mentioned his name in conjunction with TWA, but I've never seen Rudy Boy answer to anything but Rudy Boy.

Also known as Roderick Strong, Lindsey has trained with WWE Legend Jim “The Anvil” Neidhart and has more than 13 years of experience on the independent wrestling circuits with Ring of Honor (ROH), New Japan Pro Wrestling (NJPW), TNA, Dragon Gate, Pro Wrestling Guerilla (PWG) and EVOLVE. Strong has held multiple titles throughout his career including the world and tag team championships for ROH and PWG.

uC8of3Oh.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/25/2016 at 4:20 PM, Pete said:

Silly question: is Dobson still married to Pondo?

I don't know about marital status but they aren't still together.  Unless Pondo's cool with her dating another dude.

A big part of why Roderick is in NXT/WWE is because he couldn't get a gig similar to Michael Elgin's in New Japan. New Japan wanted fucking Adam Page, but not Roderick Strong. Let that sink in for a minute. I imagine Adam Page probably works for peanuts being the Vincent of Bullet Club.

Newest WON

In following in the recent tradition of everyone we praise internationally getting the phone call, both Io Shirai and Kairi Hojo have gotten offers to start in WWE in 2017 in the last week or two. Both told Stardom management about it this week. Shirai said she was going, and said that she was called by Shoichi Funaki. Hojo was contacted by Shinsuke Nakamura and Simon Inoki. Hojo at first didn’t make a final decision and there is some question if she can pass the physical because she’s had two major concussions in the last two years. In July, when WWE ran at Sumo Hall, Hojo was introduced to Nakamura through Simon Inoki, who knew her because they had worked together when Hojo did an IGF tour. Nakamura pushed to Hojo that she’d do great in WWE. Hojo most recently told the Stardom office that she’s interested in going to WWE. Stardom officials believe Shirai is gone for sure, but they are working to keep Hojo and Hojo then said she’s not sure what she’s going to do.

There is a belief that Hojo doesn’t want to go to WWE so much as prove she’s better than Shirai. Among the fans, Hojo has always been No. 2 to Shirai because Shirai is considered the better wrestler of the two, even their hardcore Stardom fans like Hojo more. It’s been pushed to Hojo that if she stays, she’ll be the No. 1 female wrestler in Japan, but if she goes to WWE, that will never happen, and that because Shirai is the “bigger star” and better looking in WWE’s eyes along with being a better wrestler, that she would never surpass her going there. A big part of this also is the marketing success of Asuka, as the prior mentality that American fans would never care for Japanese women workers (and for a long time the belief was the same regarding men, even after Great Muta became a big star in 1989, because nobody from Japan had become a top star in WWE) no matter how great they are in the ring has had to die when she got over. Plus there’s the reality of Asuka’s age (she just turned 35 and Vince has age-phobia on guys, so imagine the mentality on women and you can pretty much see it given Asuka is the oldest woman wrestler in the promotion) while Shirai is 26 and Hojo is 28. The one thing about them that people who see them against each other or with the other Japanese women don’t realize is they are really short, both about 5-foot-1.

FUCK! and YES!

• Like 1

When it comes to adding 2016 to the wrestling time capsule, there's two other potential names to add the "I shit you not, guy, they actually signed them!" portion of it.

This year is wonderfully strange.  I'm not sure if the elbow drop can be as amazing in WWE as it is in Stardom, but that's a great addition(s) to the roster.

This news saddens me as Stardom fan. I kind of figured Io would come eventually. I would have signed her before Kana (she was my  no. 2 pick) if I was WWE. Kairi was more of 50/50 chance and still seems to be. I hope she stays in Stardom for now. It would be nice to see her in the ace role for a little while.

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

This news saddens me as Stardom fan. I kind of figured Io would come eventually. I would have signed her before Kana (she was my  no. 2 pick) if I was WWE. Kairi was more of 50/50 chance and still seems to be. I hope she stays in Stardom for now. It would be nice to see her in the ace role for a little while.

I agree but with Kairi, she's been more up front with wanting to go to WWE than most wrestlers and I think she would do well. Very dramatic worker and would adapt to the WWE style. Io, on the other hand, has the chance to be what Rey was in WCW and just wow the casuals if they don't have limits put on them. 

7 minutes ago, JML said:

I agree but with Kairi, she's been more up front with wanting to go to WWE than most wrestlers and I think she would do well. Very dramatic work and would adapt to the WWE style. Io, on the hand, has the change to be what Rey was in WCW and just wow the casuals if they don't have limits put on them. 

On the long term Kairi could potentially fair better, but Io would go further faster. She is the better wrestler & more charismatic. Even with limits I see Io doing better than Kairi.