DVDVR Message Board

[NXT] OCTOBER 2016 NXT DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Roode was very over with a large part of the crowd. Part heel crowd and part ... demographics of the area... lots of singing with his theme, lots of lets go cedric/bobby roode chants. He worked old school heel and still got cheered. He also won with a mule kick foule behind the refs back followed by the implant ddt. 

I said that match or main were easily 2 best matches. Lots of good comedy in the main, mainly by aries stooging for the 10 gimmick. 

• Like 1

I was blown away by Roode/Cedric. I'm begging them to do a Takeover match because that was tremendous. 

Didn't expect much from rest of the show,  but it was super fun. I'm delighted the crowd was hot tonight and hope they come back. 

When Nakamura came out my wife was crying like crazy,  and I was so damn busy singing to be like that. But watching the video back it hit me hard that we saw him live. Damn this dusty room,  man.  It was an experience I'll never forget. 

• Like 1

Yeah. Sadly, losing the pod means people missed hearing me joke the delete chants were for the 50th anniversary today of the first cybermen appearance.

i was also surprised there was not at least one beer money chant for roode. 

1 minute ago, NickMD said:

I was blown away by Roode/Cedric. I'm begging them to do a Takeover match because that was tremendous. 

Didn't expect much from rest of the show,  but it was super fun. I'm delighted the crowd was hot tonight and hope they come back. 

When Nakamura came out my wife was crying like crazy,  and I was so damn busy singing to be like that. But watching the video back it hit me hard that we saw him live. Damn this dusty room,  man.  It was an experience I'll never forget. 

I mentioned to matt it was pretty surreal seeing Nakamura in rural Maryland. Not to mention wrestling Samoa Joe and AustinAries in a WWE ring 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I mentioned to matt it was pretty surreal seeing Nakamura in rural Maryland. Not to mention wrestling Samoa Joe and AustinAries in a WWE ring 

I went to school there years ago while really fucking blows my mind. I swear this is the last I'll say of it. But hearing my wife and I singing along to his entrance as proof we really saw him live just really got to me. I can't say enough how much him and NXT being there means to us. What a night!

Seeing Lince in the opener made me think how many guys i saw in Chikara in front of 200 people in reading or hellertown are now in wwe/nxt or places like NJPW: lince, claudio, pac, generico, steen, gulak, brodie, ricochet, etc... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Roode was very over with a large part of the crowd. Part heel crowd and part ... demographics of the area... lots of singing with his theme, lots of lets go cedric/bobby roode chants. He worked old school heel and still got cheered. He also won with a mule kick foule behind the refs back followed by the implant ddt. 

I said that match or main were easily 2 best matches. Lots of good comedy in the main, mainly by aries stooging for the 10 gimmick. 

Yep, same story in Norfolk, I think that the NXT crowd in general is going to be 'smarter' since its a bit of more niche product. We had the same ending to that match also, but I thought Cedric/Roode was the best match on the event. Cedric should be on some TV program every week, he's great.

I thought there was a good mix of locals with kids and hardcores who traveled. I bet they prob drew from Baltimore, southern PA, maybe Philly and DE. There were a good number of Nak shirts, prob most of any one person, followed by Asuka, Joe  and then various WWE and things like nwo shirts still. Oddly, i dont recall much Bayley or Sasha stuff. 

I bet many of the hardcores also saw the TNA show at Ripken Stadium a few years ago. Id say roode, joe and aries were over with the crowd. 

The top three people my kids loved in order:

3 year old daughter: Bobby Roode, Asuka, Liv Morgan

8 year old son: Nakamara, Cedric Alexander, Lince

My wife felt the mix of comedy and seriousness was perfect for her. Also No Way Jose is a character that on paper makes no sense, yet live in person it's a super over gimmick that if they debut it on the main roster in the right city he will be a perfect upper mid card Babyface for life. 

My son enjoyed Wesley Blake's comedy antics.

Just to follow on about Roode/Alexander. This match was a 601 level class in pro wrestling. Every single thing they did had a purpose and made 100% sense and you knew that there was no way Toode would've won without the low blow.

I know this is beating a dead horse but NXT might be the best pro-wrestling experience in the US

• Like 1

I'll have more words later, but even some parts of the main between Norfolk and Richmond and Bel Air were the same. I saw the fancam of Roode/Joe vs Nak/Jose from Richmond and they did the same chase around the ring spot to have the heels get over on Nak early, and also the double shaking in the corner spot, though Jose played it up as a good thing and Tye played it up as being out of control.

I am not sure why you are surprised (if you are actually surprised) since that has been a staple of the way WWE does their house shows.

I mean I think I have watched the same Reigns/Rollins No DQ match 10 different times

4 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I am not sure why you are surprised (if you are actually surprised) since that has been a staple of the way WWE does their house shows.

I mean I think I have watched the same Reigns/Rollins No DQ match 10 different times

I am more surprised that the Richmond show was different ;) One reason I didn't consider seeing multiple shows was that I figured all three cities would get the same matches move for move.

Such a fun show.  I was on the lower level, and it basically seemed like almost all "in" fans - tons of Nakamura/Asuka/Roode/NXT shirts, people with New Japan/indy gear, the Delete chants - with families scattered in.  Awesome venue for a card too (aside from an inability to handle parking and being scheduled against a homecoming across the street and having to drive through dark ass farm roads and holy shit do I need a headlight restoration), with what seemed like an intimate environment anywhere in the house.

The openers were exactly perfect for what they had to do, TM61 got to look legit while keeping AOP dominant, and No Way Jose's entrance got like a per capita Hogan in '85 pop (the Drifter still being a heat magnet didn't hurt).

Roode/Cedric was a really goddamn great match.  Holy shit is that entrance over, and watching Cedric basically blossom into a superstar through his WWE exposure is awesome.  Asuka got to do Asuka things, and the main was a ton of fun.  There is something surreal about watching Nakamura, Joe, and Aries headline a card for a WWE brand (sidebar: holy shit I saw Shinsuke Nakamura in person in goddamn Bel Air what the actual fuck), and face Perfect 10 Tye is something to behold in his element.

So, so good across the board.

• Like 1

The homecoming explains all the guys in tuxs and girls in dresses in the Wawa down the street. 

Roode tweeted he went to Jimmys Seafood after the show. too bad he didnt know that the areas best crab cakes were 10 minutes away at 95/543. 

I largely agree with what MapRef wrote about the Richmond show.  About what you would expect I guess from a house show.  Guys were very much in body preservation mode.  I got some really good pics of Asuka so I'm happy I went but I'm not sure I would care to go back.  It seemed like everyone there enjoyed it though.  Place was pretty full and I was surprised at how many families were there and also how "smart" the fans in general seemed.  It was kind of odd to sit at a show and randomly hear people talking about one wrestler "carrying" another.  But for $30 I'm sure I will be much happier with most of the other shows I will probably see Mania weekend.  Also good to see DEAN sharing a live show with his youngest.

Still buzzing from Saturday's show.  Everybody should see Nakamura at least once in their lives, it's great.

But moving on I'm assuming it's Cedric/Andrande for Toronto so hopefully they can find they find a way to do Cedric/Roode on the next one.  I also wouldn't mind seeing Peyton/Asuka on either Takeover.  It was a good match in Bel Air and it's easy to see them having a worlds better match for the special.  Seeing Cedric live he just has to be an eventual underdog champ.  I don't know how you get it off of Nak, but when he wins it from whoever that will be one of the top moments of the year.

Man, and he just came back too.  I wonder what they mean by "months", but if it's longer than 6 he might want to consider retirement.  As much as I'd love to see KENTA/Itami in NXT I really don't feel a broken-down version of him is best for anybody involved.  There's no shame in retirement either, he's got one helluva legacy to look back on and can enjoy the rest of his life without much further damage.