DVDVR Message Board

[OCT 2016] WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

7 minutes ago, rzombie1988 said:

I've always been on the side of "it's better people pirate it than not see it period", because at least people who saw the show talk about it.

There's so much irony in this post that Alanis Morriestte is going to fucking explode.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rzombie1988 said:

Feel free to explain.

Nice list of various articles talking about piracy increasing sales here:

https://www.google.com/webhp?ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#safe=off&q=pirating+increases+sales

Someone with your explained political views bragging about sponging off someone else's money and stealing.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rzombie1988 said:

Sounds like a cop out to me.

How,  you've dropped some talking point opinions around different threads, then you whine that you can't leech off someone elses Sub anymore, (which is in direct contrast to said opinions). so now you're not going to watch, because you don't want to take the effort to steal it anymore either.  

How's the explaination a cop out?

2 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

How,  you've dropped some talking point opinions around different threads, then you whine that you can't leech off someone elses Sub anymore, so now you're not going to watch, because you don't want to take the effort to steal it anymore either.  

How's the explaination a cop out?

How does this address:

I've always been on the side of "it's better people pirate it than not see it period", because at least people who saw the show talk about it.

If you want to discuss this I'm all ears, but this isn't a politics thread.

Just now, rzombie1988 said:

How does this address:

Well we can get into how Pirating is illegal, theft, even if it does put eyeballs on product, it's people not getting paid for their work.  We can do the hypotheticals that sometimes, people will eventually pay for something they're stealing in the first place, but the theft still takes place.  You're still watching something that carries a fee for free with the logic "oh yeah, someone will pay for it eventually".  It's justifying theft.

> Pirating is illegal

IIRC, distributing/showing/uploading/seeding is illegal. Viewing it is not.

> We can do the hypotheticals that sometimes, people will eventually pay for something they're stealing in the first place, but the theft still takes place.  

You do your hypotheticals. I'll go with various articles seen here - https://www.google.com/webhp?ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#safe=off&q=pirating+increases+sales

The bigger issue in reality though is that if hardcore fans like myself lose interest, WWE is failing on it's most stable base.

I know that I'm way late to this, but Brock Lesnar being overjoyed that the RAW crowd in Minnesota was totally into him is one of the most delightful things I've seen all year. Dude was genuinely laughing at how over he was. 

• Like 3

I'm thinking a little of column A and a lot of column B.

Seriously, what the fuck were they thinking?  It's beyond mind-boggling.  The only way it could be worse is if they have Goldberg heel it up in Atlanta.

Maybe I'm a sentimentalist, but to me, Lesnar's face read more, "Holy shit, they love me" and less, "Holy shit, Vince is stupid for doing this." 

Probably because Vince doing stupid shit is par for the course to most people including Lesnar at this point. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I'm thinking a little of column A and a lot of column B.

Seriously, what the fuck were they thinking?  It's beyond mind-boggling.  The only way it could be worse is if they have Goldberg heel it up in Atlanta.

Are there any RAWs in Atlanta between now and Survivor Series?

1 hour ago, rzombie1988 said:

The bigger issue in reality though is that if hardcore fans like myself lose interest, WWE is failing on it's most stable base.

That is a major issue. For myself, after 8 years of watching 99% of the Raws and ppvs, I stopped watching regularly after Mania. The Mania build up really bothered me. Then came the raids on nxt. I turn on Raw now and I'm bitter, confused, bored, tired and angry.(thank goodness for smackdown) After awhile you realize you're no longer enjoying yourself and watching solely out of a sense of obligation. 

That's where the network comes in.  I was never a tape trader. I never had years of classic programming at my finger tips. Why am I forcing myself to watch something I actively hate when there is so much great stuff I haven't seen? And even when its terrible there is no pressure or sense of obligation and I can just move on to something else. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

I was never a tape trader. I never had years of classic programming at my finger tips. Why am I forcing myself to watch something I actively hate when there is so much great stuff I haven't seen? And even when its terrible there is no pressure or sense of obligation and I can just move on to something else. 

I am a tape trader, so for me, the WWE selection is pretty weak. I would not surprised if I still have more stuff than they do in 10 years, and I haven't traded in a few years. Legit there is stuff I've been waiting 10 years for from WWE 24/7 that never got uploaded.

See how people were complaining that Mick Foley's character was wildly flip flopping in the build up to HitC. I've figured it out. His split personality is coming back out.

Dude Love thinks it's groovy that the women are getting the chance to be on top, baby. Mankind knows how his body was destroyed in dangerous matches and doesn't want to see younger wrestlers suffer the way he did (and does). Cactus Jack wants to see people get hurt, and doesn't care who or how badly hurt they are.

• Like 8

11 hours ago, rzombie1988 said:

I think it is a concern if your hardest of hardcore fans are losing interest. I'm pretty sure no one minus WWE wrestlers saw more WWE in 2013-2014 than I did. I didn't even stream nor download the show despite knowing where to find it.

The Rumble and Mania after Reigns won was really a turning point for me- I quit my subscription and no longer go out of my way for any WWE stuff- I'll watch a show if I feel like it, but that's pretty rare now.  

I enjoyed 2000 WCW more than 2015-2016 WWE.   I'll go out of my way to see LU, but that's it these days.