DVDVR Message Board

[OCT 2016] WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

7 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Who was filming and why?  I would have figured in 1988 that was still not a thing they'd want to be doing. Exposing the biz and such

Because back in the 1980s, camcorders were still pretty much a novelty that only a few people had access to.  I remember as a kid when someone would bring one to school, EVERYONE would gravitate towards that person wanting to be on camera. It was probably just a matter of Garvin bringing his new toy to work and everybody acting up for him.

• Like 1

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. It wasn't my fault Hawk revealed to the world he was a cokehead. He and everyone else knew I had a camera with me that day. And it wasn't my fault that Sting, hero to all the little stingers, showed himself to be cool with the nose candy usage. All I was doing that day, look I was just going to film Precious because she looked so pretty, and I had to film that for posterity. But the boys just kept getting into my shots, Schiavone!"

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Cameron Swift said:

I presume this must have been shared before, but it just popped up in my youtube recommendations...

I believe this was shown to Vince and Hogan, who took it as a challenge from those southern 'rasslers to see who could out-coke the other. Vince and Hogan responded with No Holds Barred.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

I doubt that in 1988 anyone at the Bash would've fathomed that the video would ever be "uploaded" to "youtube".

I doubt anyone in that video would have thought people in 2016 would have gave a crap about what they were doing in 1988, and not because they were on drugs, but because it's weird.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

Jimmy Garvin filmed it. I assume it was supposed to be for his personal use and not a legitimate documetary, but it's been floating around the internet for years.  LOl, I've got the footage on DVD (bought from a "tape trader" long time ago).

As to why.... um, blackmail?  I have no idea why you'd film that stuff, though this was 1988; pre-internet and before people started assuming everything they record could end up on the internet somewhere.

Edit; In answer to the question of how long the footage has been around, I acquired it something like 10-15 years ago.  And I'd been seeing "Behind the Scenes at the Bash" listed in traders' catalogs for a while before I picked it up. 

Jimmy Garvin filmed this for his own personal collection. When others found out about it, he started to sell it on his website (once a worker, always a worker) for $19.99 . From what I've been told, others weren't happy ( namely Hawk, Steve Williams) with Garvin when it hit the market.

4 hours ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

At the beginning of the footage, Jimmy gets the year wrong, so I'm guessing the answer to "why?" might be "Cocaine's a hell of a drug."

"87, 88, 2000, what difference does it make, Davey Crockett? You, and you people out there are gonna see us do what we always do, beat up the Road Warriors."

32 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

One of the best things about WCW Worldwide was the way Dusty would mark out for jobbers on commentary.  I really wish he was still around to do commentary during some of the James Ellsworth business.

"Any man with two fistisis...is halfway to doin' some clubberin'!"

• Like 6

Kinda surprised this Action Ortiz fella hasn't been picked up by WWE as a NXT jobber.  He's the perfect guy to get his brains beat in by The Authors of Pain while Corey Graves makes Vince-mandated fat jokes about him.

And they can bring him up to the main roster to give James Ellsworth his first clean pinfall victory over someone.

Vince: "Look at those man boobs flop all over the place.  God Dammit, Renallo, why the fuck aren't you emphasizing his man boobs on commentary??!!??"

49 minutes ago, Thunderlips said:

As long as Norton isn't the time bomb that they have been talking about.

You just jinxed it.

The Tokyo Dome is going to end with the main event being turned into a Triple Threat Match and Michael Elgin eating a power bomb to give Norton his third IWGP belt.