DVDVR Message Board

[OCT 2016] WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

13 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Every time I hear Kyle O'Reilly's name, I think of how much money he's leaving on the table by not working a Star Wars gimmick as Kylo Reilly.

Pfff fuck that, he should be 'Do It Live' Billy O'Reilly. Constantly talks over his opponents promos in a rude and obtuse way

• Like 2

BTW - side note.

Meltzer had a family emergency last night so they postponned the WON interview with Jeremy Botter, who is the Marketing Director of FloSports.

So those can follow Botter (and the FloSports Twitter) for more random info.

6 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

BTW - side note.

Meltzer had a family emergency last night so they postponned the WON interview with Jeremy Botter, who is the Marketing Director of FloSports.

He'll also be on Taz's podcast today (or tomorrow?).

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

BTW - side note.

Family emergency? I bet he got too fucked up at his birthday party. 

Hope not.  heaven forbid he does anything to damage those abs that are apparently better than every wrestler currently  :rolleyes:

I saw that they signed Big Damo as well as the ones we know like Roderick Strong and Tommy End.  Man if they put him with Braun Strowman that might the best HOSS division tag team ever

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

BTW - side note.

For what it is worth - Dave posted an update to state that his mother suffered a stroke

I wanted to give a quick update that my mother suffered a stroke Monday night which is the family emergency that Bryan Alvarez referred to during Wrestling Observer Radio.

At this point, I don't know a lot of details other than it is serious, but there are positive signs as
well in the sense she could move her legs and was aware of her surroundings. She has been very active and athletic her entire life and even thinking positively,  this is going to change her and my father's life in significant ways. She is the best mother anyone could ever wish to have.

I want to apologize for missing the show with Bryan and Jeremy Botter, and I know that everyone understands and that there's no need to apologize, but still, I look forward to every show and had a ton of notes planned. But, itt was just one of those times where it would have been impossible to do.

Also, thanks to everyone for the birthday wishes yesterday. Your prayers are appreciated, and, I greatly appreciate your support.

One thing this Flosports news thoroughly hammered home for me is that, in 2016, I really don't give a shit about Indy wrestling. I was trying to figure out why that was. Part of it is that I'm 35 now, with a wife and kids and a career. It's not like I was when I was 25 with a lot more free time and much more ability to go to shows. Part of it is the ease of availability for all of this stuff. Back in 2003, you could pretty much watch everything if you wanted to trade a few tapes or buy a few shows, or at least everything you wanted that was available. It was a big deal for me when ROH started coming to Boston and I could see guys like Low Ki and Samoa Joe live. Now there's just too much to follow. I'm sure NWA Hollywood is good. I'm sure there are a few GA promotions that are good. I don't have time to watch the stuff let alone be INVESTED in it. It's not just the indies where the ease exists. We have a sort of access to New Japan that would have been unimaginable fifteen years ago. CMLL has THREE free live shows streaming from Mexico a week. That's nuts. WWE has a ton of programming, including their own AAA league. There's house show footage popping up on youtube every week. It just seems like such a losing effort and like so much work to keep up. It's fun to watch some of the posted matches around March Madness time, and there are specific guys (like Kongo Kong for instance) that I go out of my way to see but that's it.

It's also the mentality. I don't really feel the need in my life to be a part of something, to identify with indy wrestling and the whole SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL INDY! cult mindset. Some of it is that I have other things to identify with in my life now. Some of that might be because we see so much of these guys on twitter and elsewhere now. It was cool when Christopher Daniels had a blog and talked about Steve Austin telling him it was time to shave his head before a WWF show in 1999 or whatever. Now we're just inundated with it. Some of it's that my tastes have matured and the super indy spotfest juniors style isn't my thing anymore (and yeah, that's maturing. It really is. Sorry.). There was always some level of entitlement with the indies. That was part of the appeal. You're close to the action. You're on the cusp of something special. it's something for you and the couple hundred people in the stands with you (if that). There's more direct interaction (if you shout at Homicide to chop someone again, he might!) And it works the same way back with the wrestlers. But generational shifts, a broader wave of entitlement and calls for representation in general and social media making everything closer than ever has just increased that. Moreover, it's just all become so self-aware. That's bleeding into WWE now, and on some level we're all invested on Bryan getting pushed or on them booking Bayley right (and on some level we always were, but it was in a completely different environment), but there's a loss of innocence that maybe the indies never really had, not in my lifetime of watching them. I'm sure there's some podunk indy out there somewhere where the heat is real and it's not about Vader refusing to job to a guy a third his size who people love a gif of but about one wrestler really pissing people off, but it's got to be few and far between. I said it before but there's free Georgia Championship Wrestling from the 80s and Southeastern from the 80s that I haven't seen yet. And there's NWAOnDemand which I pay for and which unveils arena matches, classic style tags and 2/3 fall singles matches from Houston, matches that no one has seen in thirty years in front of an awesome, awesome genuinely invested crowd. I swear I thought the match between the Sheepherders and the Guerreros I saw last night from 86 was going to break out in a riot. It was electric and it was jingoistic as hell but absolutely glorious. They'd riled the crowd up so much that every time the Guerreros did a double team to the leg on the shine, the place exploded in sheer joy. I'm watching Jimmy Golden turn on Ron Fuller in Southeastern after getting the fans to tell Fuller to trust him and it's the best thing. They want Golden dead because he used them to betray Fuller. It's amazing. 

So I'm glad that people are really into their local indies and can see ones from around the world and are more invested than ever. I'm glad that the workers will get more of a payday based off of this if it works out. I'm glad some people are excited for it. It's just (and I get that there's entitlement here on my part, and how ironic or hypocritical that is) a little frustrating that I'm can't be along for the ride.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

Yeah just like how they used Chris Hero really well.

Really happy for Tommy End though because goddamn, dude is money in a way I don't think even WWE can fuck up

Perhaps Bayley, Enzo and Cass, and the WCW and ECW Invasion might be interested in your thoughts upon this.

4 minutes ago, DTTW said:

Why does every place I try and work for specifically not hire me, and then go on to do stuff that I'm even more qualified for than the positions I applied for.

Hang in there. A friend is in a similar position: he is very talented but has trouble finding a job at the moment and just looks on as they reveal projects which seem tailor suited to him. He works in IT designing... stuff. He confuses me when he speaks about it. 

2 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

They can go back and read all my posts where I said WWE was going to fuck all that shit up.

Check March Madness for me being totally right about Bayley since we're about 2-3 months from my female Eugene prophecy

I'm for this if it leads to Regal picking a fight with Mick Foley.

But Bayley can't do the Eugene as Hogan legdrop, that's Nia Jax's gimmick.

1 hour ago, TerjeRUN said:

Hang in there. A friend is in a similar position: he is very talented but has trouble finding a job at the moment and just looks on as they reveal projects which seem tailor suited to him. He works in IT designing... stuff. He confuses me when he speaks about it. 

Honestly, I don't think I want to work in wrestling anymore. WWE, from all accounts, sounds like an utter nightmare to work for, and they tend to swallow up competition so working "against" them just leads right back to them. The fans can be atrocious. The travel sucks. No home life - good luck on the relationship end. They can keep it. I'll stick to working in adult entertainment where there's a strict no kids or uneducated people allowed policy. I mean what good would a six figure job be if you never got to enjoy it.

• Like 1