DVDVR Message Board

[OCT 2016] WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I enjoy that element of it.  He's a big tough dude who you have to hit really hard to put him down.  I appreciate a guy who needs an ungodly amount of effort to hurt much more than Okada's my-arm-is-so-damaged-I'm-almost-crying-in-agony-but-not-such-agony-that-I'm-not-going-to-use-it-now-to-do-my-finisher style of wrestling.

All right, I guess it's just me!

While I am espousing potentially dangerous NJPW opinions...what's the deal with Taguchi?  Is he supposed to be shitty in an endearing way, kinda like Ebessan was?  Like I see him in high profile matches, and he looks like he's from a totally different era, with guys like Riccochet, Ibushi, and Kushida doing laps around him.  Are they just bad matches? Or is he just...not good?

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

This is not a sentence I expected to read this morning, or ever.

Good to hear Tommy is getting all this good press.  He's been one of my favorite guys to watch since seeing him for the first time in last year's BOLA, so hopefully he can stay healthy and find his niche. 

God I hope not or else I may have to give up on wrestling, I grew out of liking things ironically in middle school.

Sasha, Becky, Charlotte, Bayley, Sami, Owens, and Rusev have shown you can get over by working hard and being great at what you do on the main roster (NXT buzz/hype helps also) but then its up to creative to capitalize on that overness and they don't seem to like to do that.

The New Day have also shown that there are ways to get over still. They were probably one of if not the biggest draws the company had for most of this year.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2016 at 7:04 PM, Sammo~! said:

What's the over/under on Del Rio getting mysteriously stabbed and no showing the next dinner with the in-laws?

She is really not in a good place right now mentally or spiritually picking fights with the wrong people.  Mommy and daddy are trying to help but she is so messed up mentally she has no idea what is wrong or right.

There is a reason why SHE asked ADR to marry her.  

If she does not watch her step things will end very badly for her.  

I know you are reading this Paige.  Come at me again spiritually and it will be a huge mistake for you.

• Like 1

The Ellsworth thing is funny, but... I dunno.... I watch Ellsworth and think of the 100 other guys who would benefit from the TV time.  We could be watching a Sami Zayn-AJ feud.  Instead, we're watching Ellsworth look pathetic and win via shennanigans.

I probably won't mind when Vince realizes Ellsworth has gotten over without creative meaning for him to, and either fires him on the spot or just humiliates him even more.

25 minutes ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

The Ellsworth thing is funny, but... I dunno.... I watch Ellsworth and think of the 100 other guys who would benefit from the TV time.  We could be watching a Sami Zayn-AJ feud.  Instead, we're watching Ellsworth look pathetic and win via shennanigans.

The Ellsworth thing is fine by me, because it isn't AJ feuding with Ellsworth, it's him feuding with Dean. The crux of AJ's heel character is he will do anything necessary to win and so to get under his skin you have him lose by any means necessary to a goof. And AJ utterly destroyed him in both matches. Ellsworth looking pathetic is fine because that's his purpose, it puts egg on the face of the heel and builds to the eventual match with Dean. There's weeks until Survivor Series and we got two weeks of build to AJ/Dean 3 without them having a non title match on free TV. It's perfectly acceptable booking to me.

• Like 2

Depending on how much credence you put into Rumorz~

The main event of the Royal Rumble will be: 

Spoiler

AJ Styles vs Shawn Michaels for the WWE World Championship

Assuming the latter can go, this would be the proverbial bee's knees. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't rule out a Shawn return since he's in fantastic shape and clearly wanted to show it off by wearing his gear at Mania this year. He seems pretty picky about what an ideal opponent for a return match would be though. AJ might not be his idea of an interesting matchup. 

• Like 1

If - and it's a big if - Shawn can still go and they can put on a good-to-great match, I'll be more stoked for that than anything else the WWE has done in a couple years.  Of course, once we get our hopes up, they'll probably switch the card and the Undertaker will hobble out to look like he's 70 and still squash AJ in under ten minutes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

I probably won't mind when Vince realizes Ellsworth has gotten over without creative meaning for him to, and either fires him on the spot or just humiliates him even more.

By some accounts, Vince took a liking to Ellsworth early on.  How long does the honeymoon last?  Who knows with VKM.  I think someone realizes that they've got lightning in a bottle with the guy and will ride the wave for however long it lasts.  It's WWE's version of a pop culture moment. To his credit, Ellsworth seems to understand that and is rolling with it day by day.

I agree with the time factor, though.  They did so with Heath Slater, a guy actually under contract, and it hit like gangbusters. Imagine if they had given Bo Dallas this much of a chance.  Chants of BOLIEVE would be singing form the rafters.