DVDVR Message Board

[OCT 2016] WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

"Oi PAWPEE we need to pick out music for the wedding, and silverwear, and we need to decide if we're going to have Mexican food or cheeseburgers for catering, and your fooking Uncle is NOT wearing a mask to me wedding"

"I'd love to help plan the wedding Paige, but I've been stabbed again and I just can't"

*Del Rio shows up to a Combate Americas event 6 hours later*

• Like 10

Great news about World of Sport, I'd been hoping for a long time Challenge would get rid of TNA and showcase British wrestling but this is better (if they treat it properly and not like some tongue-in-cheek celeb-hosted novelty)

Outside of names to check out from the old days, not much more to add than what has been mentioned. Bomber Pat Roach is a stoic hard hitter, Rollerball Mark Rocco is probably my favourite of all time, Les Kellett is one of the best comedy workers of all time which is all the more bizarre as he was the most feared, Dynamite and Fit Finlay you'll probably already know about, then there's Marty Jones, Johnny Saint, Jim Breaks and Steve Grey who all bring something to the table.

I've been researching the hell out of WoS and UK wrestling in general lately for a crime novel set in 60s London with a grappler/bag-man for a gangster as the main character.

So, after 4.5 months of watching NJPW World on The Fight Network, is it weird that the non-junior-heavyweight I most look forward to seeing in matches is Togi Makabe.  Like, I generally enjoy his stuff more than Okada, Tanahashi, Naito, and, gasp, maybe even the Nakamura stuff they show.

I enjoy that element of it.  He's a big tough dude who you have to hit really hard to put him down.  I appreciate a guy who needs an ungodly amount of effort to hurt much more than Okada's my-arm-is-so-damaged-I'm-almost-crying-in-agony-but-not-such-agony-that-I'm-not-going-to-use-it-now-to-do-my-finisher style of wrestling.

All right, I guess it's just me!

While I am espousing potentially dangerous NJPW opinions...what's the deal with Taguchi?  Is he supposed to be shitty in an endearing way, kinda like Ebessan was?  Like I see him in high profile matches, and he looks like he's from a totally different era, with guys like Riccochet, Ibushi, and Kushida doing laps around him.  Are they just bad matches? Or is he just...not good?

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

This is not a sentence I expected to read this morning, or ever.

Good to hear Tommy is getting all this good press.  He's been one of my favorite guys to watch since seeing him for the first time in last year's BOLA, so hopefully he can stay healthy and find his niche.