DVDVR Message Board

[OCT 2016] WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

There's a ton up on youtube. Jim Breaks (best bad guy), Steve Grey(best good guy), Pat Roach(bruiser). Start with those three names. Watch them against a variety of opponents. That'll give you a range. Figure out who you like and who you don't (you'll probably like more than not) and branch out. 

After you watch a bit, double back and make sure to catch Al Hayes vs Steve Veidor, at least one Les Kellett match, and some Alan Sarjent. 

Or you can just say screw it and watch Mark Rocco pretend to be Kurt Angle.

• Like 1

Keep an eye out for Kwik Kick Lee, Sammy Lee and Flying Fuji Yamada. And also Kendo Nagasaki, but for different reasons.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Marty Sugar said:

I've never met Ricky Knight but after his recent rants on Twitter...I kinda fucking hate the guy.

Your first mistake is reading Twitter.

I kinda suspect that, if I followed people's twitter accounts more closely, there wouldn't be anyone I didn't hate after awhile.

"Oi PAWPEE we need to pick out music for the wedding, and silverwear, and we need to decide if we're going to have Mexican food or cheeseburgers for catering, and your fooking Uncle is NOT wearing a mask to me wedding"

"I'd love to help plan the wedding Paige, but I've been stabbed again and I just can't"

*Del Rio shows up to a Combate Americas event 6 hours later*

• Like 10

Great news about World of Sport, I'd been hoping for a long time Challenge would get rid of TNA and showcase British wrestling but this is better (if they treat it properly and not like some tongue-in-cheek celeb-hosted novelty)

Outside of names to check out from the old days, not much more to add than what has been mentioned. Bomber Pat Roach is a stoic hard hitter, Rollerball Mark Rocco is probably my favourite of all time, Les Kellett is one of the best comedy workers of all time which is all the more bizarre as he was the most feared, Dynamite and Fit Finlay you'll probably already know about, then there's Marty Jones, Johnny Saint, Jim Breaks and Steve Grey who all bring something to the table.

I've been researching the hell out of WoS and UK wrestling in general lately for a crime novel set in 60s London with a grappler/bag-man for a gangster as the main character.

So, after 4.5 months of watching NJPW World on The Fight Network, is it weird that the non-junior-heavyweight I most look forward to seeing in matches is Togi Makabe.  Like, I generally enjoy his stuff more than Okada, Tanahashi, Naito, and, gasp, maybe even the Nakamura stuff they show.